Twitter: Jerry: Probably fair to say Dak is in a slump

zeke21

Reaction score
The Dak situation is so hard for me.. I know he is an above average QB but I also know that he is not, and never has been, great and nowhere close to Elite. I also know that we need him to be playing at his best if we are to get back to where we belong at the top of the pile.

Some might see a 'slump' but I see reality finally catching up with this bus driving 4th round pick that has had the luck of the gods to get him to this point. Daks ENTIRE career from HS through to Pros has been based on coming off the bench to replace an injured starter and then keeping the job. He SELLS himself very well. So his greatest attribute was not getting injured. Now we have had the ankle, the shoulder, the calf and seemingly all his mental confidence that he is "unbreakable" has collapsed. This does not bode well for him.

Secondly his lack of accuracy is well known.. lots of his fans found ways to blame others (it is the scheme, it is the receivers, it is the wind, it is the coaches, it is fairy dust) but Dak has ALWAYS struggled to hit receivers in stride. I remember that little clip that went around when he first came onto the scene and he couldn't hit stationary targets as part of some analysis show.. yes he was in a suit but seriously.. EVERY other QB could hit those targets.. then we saw him in the All Star QB comp and he was almost dead last.. eeek. You could watch hours and hours of tape and it is the same problems every time.. he throws down and away on crossing routes, on go routes he ALWAYS throws behind his receivers, on stop routes he throws too high and that puts pressure on our slot receiver and TE to not get snapped in two. It is VERY rare for Dak to actually hit a receiver in stride or to lead him open.. which leads to his second career long problem:

Dak needs the receiver to be OPEN.. like open open.. like we need All Pro level receivers that can get seperation on every single route because Dak doesn't see the field well enough to read guys open and doesn't trust his arm enough to throw into tight windows. Dak will have good 'tight window' stats because when his inaccurate throws (see above) force the receiver to go BACK into the traffic.. the stats man will list it as a tight window catch. Dak is also very bad at picking up the blitz or defensive scheme. This was negating for long periods by a dominant OLine and a smashing run game. It also helped that Dak was big enough and trusted himself to be "unbreakable" that he would scramble. He has lost his All Pro Oline, All Pro Running Game and won't scramble.. that is the reason why he is getting pummelled a lot more.

So I'd say this.. the league worked Dak out a long time ago.. remember those "we know what they are going to do, but we just don't know how to stop it" tweets a few years back? So our game plan has always been simple but defense couldn't do a lot because our OLine was just that good and Zeke would run for over 100 every game if you didn't commit every resource you had to the run. This gave Dak a heap of time to make short, easy completions to drive down the field.. if they defence came up to stop the run/screen game.. then Dak would throw a ball over the top to guys like Cooper, Gallup and CeeDee who would bust open over top and take it to the house for long plays.

I've said it many times but Zeke (and now Pollard) is the offence. Dak gets all the praise while Zeke gets ridden to the ground.. I get it.. we paid far too much for a RB that has never really hit the heights you would hope for.. but that is a lot to do with the fact that his current OC has no idea how to plan a run offence. Bill Belicheck would salivate at the thought of having Zeke.. Dak would be placeholder if our offence was run correctly. So it is no surprise that when our run game is strong.. Dak has looked a world beater. It is therefore not a shock that with our star RB banged up and our back up star RB out.. Dak looks like a steaming pile of poo.

For all those who love Dak and believe he is 'great' and MVP and all the rest.. welcome to reality.. I know it hurts but get used to it. Dak IS good enough to win a superbowl if everyone around him is all pro and healthy. So there is still hope but can we please stop thinking that Dak carries this team or is a Franchise QB.. guy is over paid and we could have got in another rookie to do the exact same job and bolstered our OLine and Defence.

khiladi

Reaction score
The Dak situation is so hard for me.. I know he is an above average QB but I also know that he is not, and never has been, great and nowhere close to Elite. I also know that we need him to be playing at his best if we are to get back to where we belong at the top of the pile.

Some might see a 'slump' but I see reality finally catching up with this bus driving 4th round pick that has had the luck of the gods to get him to this point. Daks ENTIRE career from HS through to Pros has been based on coming off the bench to replace an injured starter and then keeping the job. He SELLS himself very well. So his greatest attribute was not getting injured. Now we have had the ankle, the shoulder, the calf and seemingly all his mental confidence that he is "unbreakable" has collapsed. This does not bode well for him.

Secondly his lack of accuracy is well known.. lots of his fans found ways to blame others (it is the scheme, it is the receivers, it is the wind, it is the coaches, it is fairy dust) but Dak has ALWAYS struggled to hit receivers in stride. I remember that little clip that went around when he first came onto the scene and he couldn't hit stationary targets as part of some analysis show.. yes he was in a suit but seriously.. EVERY other QB could hit those targets.. then we saw him in the All Star QB comp and he was almost dead last.. eeek. You could watch hours and hours of tape and it is the same problems every time.. he throws down and away on crossing routes, on go routes he ALWAYS throws behind his receivers, on stop routes he throws too high and that puts pressure on our slot receiver and TE to not get snapped in two. It is VERY rare for Dak to actually hit a receiver in stride or to lead him open.. which leads to his second career long problem:

Dak needs the receiver to be OPEN.. like open open.. like we need All Pro level receivers that can get seperation on every single route because Dak doesn't see the field well enough to read guys open and doesn't trust his arm enough to throw into tight windows. Dak will have good 'tight window' stats because when his inaccurate throws (see above) force the receiver to go BACK into the traffic.. the stats man will list it as a tight window catch. Dak is also very bad at picking up the blitz or defensive scheme. This was negating for long periods by a dominant OLine and a smashing run game. It also helped that Dak was big enough and trusted himself to be "unbreakable" that he would scramble. He has lost his All Pro Oline, All Pro Running Game and won't scramble.. that is the reason why he is getting pummelled a lot more.

So I'd say this.. the league worked Dak out a long time ago.. remember those "we know what they are going to do, but we just don't know how to stop it" tweets a few years back? So our game plan has always been simple but defense couldn't do a lot because our OLine was just that good and Zeke would run for over 100 every game if you didn't commit every resource you had to the run. This gave Dak a heap of time to make short, easy completions to drive down the field.. if they defence came up to stop the run/screen game.. then Dak would throw a ball over the top to guys like Cooper, Gallup and CeeDee who would bust open over top and take it to the house for long plays.

I've said it many times but Zeke (and now Pollard) is the offence. Dak gets all the praise while Zeke gets ridden to the ground.. I get it.. we paid far too much for a RB that has never really hit the heights you would hope for.. but that is a lot to do with the fact that his current OC has no idea how to plan a run offence. Bill Belicheck would salivate at the thought of having Zeke.. Dak would be placeholder if our offence was run correctly. So it is no surprise that when our run game is strong.. Dak has looked a world beater. It is therefore not a shock that with our star RB banged up and our back up star RB out.. Dak looks like a steaming pile of poo.

For all those who love Dak and believe he is 'great' and MVP and all the rest.. welcome to reality.. I know it hurts but get used to it. Dak IS good enough to win a superbowl if everyone around him is all pro and healthy. So there is still hope but can we please stop thinking that Dak carries this team or is a Franchise QB.. guy is over paid and we could have got in another rookie to do the exact same job and bolstered our OLine and Defence.

predator-handshake.gif

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But you really liked Romo. Riiight. Why do you lie?

Romo showed what he could do with his final drive. Stepped in and marched the team right down for the TD. After not playing for what....4 months? FINALLY got a chance to fully heal...unlike most of his injuries. I thank Dak for that...he played well. But we didn't bring Tony back in out of....superstition? REALLY? What the....

Now I don't agree with beating this dead horse forever....long time ago in a far away universe. But it was brought up and you reply with a facepalm...showing us how much you truly liked Romo.

You don't have to lie...you can say Tony broke your heart and you will never forgive him. It's part of the healing road.

Meanwhile....

"From 2007 to 2016, he led all quarterbacks with a 103.5 rating in the fourth quarter or overtime. Also, his 23 fourth-quarter comebacks and 27 game-winning drives from 2006 to 2014 ranked first for all quarterbacks. For his career, he ranks 17th in fourth-quarter comebacks (24) and 21st in game-winning drives (29)."

Doesn;t appear to be this big choker you and other fans message boards claim. Whoops.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
First Rivera, and now Jerry.
Go prove them wrong again MM.
Maybe Jerry has tapped into something, the MM mojo button.

Yup, and, on that note, I gotta say. I love how Mike didn't just guarantee the win, but he DELIVERED! When was the last time we did that?

johneric8

Reaction score
But you really liked Romo. Riiight. Why do you lie?

Romo showed what he could do with his final drive. Stepped in and marched the team right down for the TD. After not playing for what....4 months? FINALLY got a chance to fully heal...unlike most of his injuries. I thank Dak for that...he played well. But we didn't bring Tony back in out of....superstition? REALLY? What the....

Now I don't agree with beating this dead horse forever....long time ago in a far away universe. But it was brought up and you reply with a facepalm...showing us how much you truly liked Romo.

You don't have to lie...you can say Tony broke your heart and you will never forgive him. It's part of the healing road.

Meanwhile....

"From 2007 to 2016, he led all quarterbacks with a 103.5 rating in the fourth quarter or overtime. Also, his 23 fourth-quarter comebacks and 27 game-winning drives from 2006 to 2014 ranked first for all quarterbacks. For his career, he ranks 17th in fourth-quarter comebacks (24) and 21st in game-winning drives (29)."

Doesn;t appear to be this big choker you and other fans message boards claim. Whoops.
I did like Romo, I just hated having to defend him all the time. I also hated the nerves I felt every game he qb'd waiting for a major faux paux... This is my truth man, sorry if you don't dig it ... Dak has been less prone to breaking my heart than Romo was, ball security is something that I really value ...

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Dak Prescott is human and won't be perfect just because the Cowboys paid him a lot of money. Why this is so hard for some people to grasp amazes me.

Even the $505 million man Mahomes had a slump earlier this season when the Chiefs struggled to put up points; and eventually he played his way out of it. Relax people.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did like Romo, I just hated having to defend him all the time. I also hated the nerves I felt every game he qb'd waiting for a major faux paux... This is my truth man, sorry if you don't dig it ... Dak has been less prone to breaking my heart than Romo was, ball security is something that I really value ...
And yet I just showed you he was one the best QB's of his day.

No sir...still not buying your schtick. Whatever.....live your lie.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak Prescott is human and won't be perfect just because the Cowboys paid him a lot of money. Why this is so hard for some people to grasp amazes me.

Even the $505 million man Mahomes had a slump earlier this season when the Chiefs struggled to put up points; and eventually he played his way out of it. Relax people.
Who is asking him to be perfect.

Why do people keep making this argument that Dak is being asked to be perfect? It's asinine and ridiculous.

"Dak might be in a slump"

"why do people keep demanding Dak be perfect".
cryyy-960x640.jpg

What the...

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Brutal...!
I don't know how to respond...nothing JJ can do about it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
McCarthy says Dak isn’t in a slump and Jerry says it’s fair to say he is. Hopefully someone in the media will ask McCarthy about this differing of opinion.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score

Dak needs the receiver to be OPEN.. like open open.. like we need All Pro level receivers that can get seperation on every single route because Dak doesn't see the field well enough to read guys open and doesn't trust his arm enough to throw into tight windows. Dak will have good 'tight window' stats because when his inaccurate throws (see above) force the receiver to go BACK into the traffic.. the stats man will list it as a tight window catch. Dak is also very bad at picking……
……. OLine and Defence.

Dak was never super accurate , but he wasn’t as erratic as he is now , last year and in the 1st 6 games this year. There may an element to his calf injury .

Agreed on the receiver needs to be wide open part , i have been seeing that for last 2-3 games, at least in Washington game he didnt have to take risks ( yet 2 ints , sigh )

Here is what KM and MM can help , design plays quick outs , slants , to a position where WR sets up and get the game going.

Last edited: