Jerry recounts Manziel draft saga, thinks Romo can play 5 or 6 more years

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Thinking Romo can play 5 to 6 more years is exactly why i'm of the belief this team won't be drafting a quarterback anytime soon.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They shouldn't. Too many holes on defense to worry about that. Just get a capable backup and roll with Romo.

A capable backup to Romo is a rookie quarterback. I'm of the belief that you should take the best player available and if it's a qb you make the pick. No point in wasting money on a journeyman backup qb.

RunDMC

Reaction score
They shouldn't. Too many holes on defense to worry about that. Just get a capable backup and roll with Romo.

They absolutely should. If Romo goes down again we need to have a young guy in place who can take over especially if it's a career ending injury which it very well could be.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Addressing an observation that the 2016 draft probably won’t yield a high enough draft pick to find a franchise quarterback to eventually replace Tony Romo, Jones interrupted.

“Except if a great one, Roethlisberger or Manziel, falls,” Jones said.

Ben Roethlisberger slid to Pittsburgh at No. 11 overall in 2004. In 2014, Johnny Manziel was still available at No. 16 when Jones, who doubles as the Cowboys’ final-say general manager, was on the clock.

Jones weighed Manziel against the fact Tony Romo was approaching the second year of a contract running through 2018, with $55 million guaranteed.

“We had Manziel at the top of our board, (still) on the board,” Jones said on a weekend Manziel returned to his college alma mater to attend a Texas A&M game. “So he’s a legitimate board pick and we’re sitting there and grinding through … should we go for this opportunity to take aquarterback that high that’s dropped down and start getting ready in case for when Romo is not here or God forbid if he got hurt.?

“That’s why I sat there to the last minute and stared at everybody and looked at everybody so that we could say, ‘Is this that shot? One has dropped to us?’

“Now you can ‘hindsight’ and look at how things have gone in Cleveland, but still that’s exactly why we sat there and had the agony.”

In Cleveland, debate over what the Browns should do with Manziel has run hot after he started in a 31-10 loss at Cincinnati Thursday night.

http://www.cantonrep.com/article/20151109/SPORTS/151109378

Romo 5 to 6 more years?
SOMETIMES I THINK JERRA IS REALLY STUPIDS.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Well, if the crowds start dropping into the 30,000-40,000 range and season ticket sales drop 40%...

you might see a different tune from Jerrah.

Not before.

When he can pull in 90,000 paid seats on a 2-6 team..

he's not going to change.

Last time he hired Parcells to be the distraction while he built his stadium and take the focus off of losing.

He 'd look to do that again.

Not hire Parcells but to hire a big name coach to replace Garrett.

Jason needs to watch his back after this off-season.

Jerra CAN pull in 90,000 to see a 2-6 team.
Dallas fans hearts are waaaay bigger than their brains.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score

That's where I'm at. Just get a solid vet backup that will be here the entire offseason. Hell, I'd probably be fine with Cassel. A whole offseason in the offense with work every Wednesday with the first team? That'd be probably not be bad at all.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I bet in a year or two, JFB will be wearing a Dallas Cowboys uniform, and many on here will be calling Jerry a genius and buying the #2 jersey. There will be post after post about Johnny should be the starter, and many more years of mediocre football seasons will ensue.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
It is going to be so bad when Romo does retire. We're getting a small taste of it right now. Unbearable.

No way do I trust Jerry Jones to find a good replacement. He'll end up reaching the offseason Romo retires and we will be stuck with a turd at the position for half a decade.