Jerry recounts Manziel draft saga, thinks Romo can play 5 or 6 more years

Junglist

Reaction score
What bothers me the most is Jerry said on the radio he is not going to draft a QB to sit behind Romo. He'll wait until Romo retires, then we'll be in QB purgatory.

chicago JK

Reaction score
What bothers me the most is Jerry said on the radio he is not going to draft a QB to sit behind Romo. He'll wait until Romo retires, then we'll be in QB purgatory.

Yeah it is concerning. I think you need to be ready to strike when the opportunity arises. There are so few QB's who come in to the draft who wind up being top 10 QBs in the NFL. When you get away from the top 2-3 picks in the draft, that number goes down even further. There are so many guys who just don't work out. Lets not pretend to think you draft one QB and you are set. Most cases, you may need to draft a few before you find your guy. Teams like the Jets, Commanders, Texans, Chiefs, etc have been looking for that QB for decades. We all see what happens when you don't have a top 10 QB. Our team looks like one of the worst in the league without Romo. Poor QB play can make all the other good moves you are doing irrelevant. I have said for the last few years, the post Romo years is what scares me most with our front office. Post Aikman years were terrible and I am not sure if Post Romo will be any different. We got a small taste what I expect we will see when Romo is no longer here these last 6 weeks.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Post Aikman years were terrible and I am not sure if Post Romo will be any different. We got a small taste what I expect we will see when Romo is no longer here these last 6 weeks.

We got only a one game taste last year, but apparently that was not scary enough. All in all, they expected a quantum leap forward for the defense and played it safe with an aging Romo who has never been indestructible. The backup QB has derailed the season, but the inability of the rest of the team to rise above to even keep our proverbial heads above water in a weak division is what settled things into the ditch.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Well, if the crowds start dropping into the 30,000-40,000 range and season ticket sales drop 40%...

y

The numbers may not be that far off if you count how many actual Cowboy fans are in attendance. But from a JJ perspective, a sold ticket is still a sold ticket despite who is sitting in the seat.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Addressing an observation that the 2016 draft probably won’t yield a high enough draft pick to find a franchise quarterback to eventually replace Tony Romo, Jones interrupted.

“Except if a great one, Roethlisberger or Manziel, falls,” Jones said.

Ben Roethlisberger slid to Pittsburgh at No. 11 overall in 2004. In 2014, Johnny Manziel was still available at No. 16 when Jones, who doubles as the Cowboys’ final-say general manager, was on the clock.

Jones weighed Manziel against the fact Tony Romo was approaching the second year of a contract running through 2018, with $55 million guaranteed.

“We had Manziel at the top of our board, (still) on the board,” Jones said on a weekend Manziel returned to his college alma mater to attend a Texas A&M game. “So he’s a legitimate board pick and we’re sitting there and grinding through … should we go for this opportunity to take aquarterback that high that’s dropped down and start getting ready in case for when Romo is not here or God forbid if he got hurt.?

“That’s why I sat there to the last minute and stared at everybody and looked at everybody so that we could say, ‘Is this that shot? One has dropped to us?’

“Now you can ‘hindsight’ and look at how things have gone in Cleveland, but still that’s exactly why we sat there and had the agony.”

In Cleveland, debate over what the Browns should do with Manziel has run hot after he started in a 31-10 loss at Cincinnati Thursday night.

http://www.cantonrep.com/article/20151109/SPORTS/151109378

@jobberone @big dog cowboy This is why I believe the truth regarding the psychology within our war room as it pertains to Todd Gurley will eventually surface. It always does because Jerry loves flapping those gums. One down, one to go..lol

I completely agree that we probably didn't stand a chance of getting Gurley but it would be nice to know what they were thinking.

jgboys1

Reaction score
What's the over under on Jerry riding off into the sunset? Over 10 years or under 10 years, because if it's over 10 years, we are doomed.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
@jobberone @big dog cowboy This is why I believe the truth regarding the psychology within our war room as it pertains to Todd Gurley will eventually surface. It always does because Jerry loves flapping those gums. One down, one to go..lol

I completely agree that we probably didn't stand a chance of getting Gurley but it would be nice to know what they were thinking.

They probably had him ranked high but were not going to use high picks to trade up....which was a bucket load. Mox nix

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
5 or 6 years???? I'm worried if he will make it through 5 or 6 more games:confused:

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

Reaction score
Now that he's in the NFL, there is no reason for anyone to think Manziel is a franchise QB.

Please move on and look at someone else to understudy Romo.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Delusional was the previous 15 years.

He's a straight up lunatic.

Don't make eye contact lunatic.

I never know when Jerrah is being serious or just saying something politically correct or what.

I realize Romo hears all the criticism and that just adds more pressure for him and that not right.

He has had a tough career and the future looks rougher yet.

So it may well be that they will play it out as it is.

I do think Cassel is a much better backup than Weeden. So at least that phase of the QB equation is being improved
Jerry is for sure drinking. I'd say romo has 2 left at the most. For all we know he goes down after he comes back this year and that could be it.
Absolutely..

He's had back injuries and surgeries..

He's had broken clavicles with multi-games lost in a season enough to stop the team.

Somehow..

someway..

we need to move on from depending on Romo.

The team is suffering I think from this extreme dependency on a guy who has won only 3 playoff games in 10 years.

The point is to win..

not wish and hope while our rivals like the Packer go thru multiple QBs and coaches and still win titles..

or a team like the Jints win multiple titles with Eli.

And that is just in the last 10 years.

This has been going on for nearly 20 years.

Now what?

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Addressing an observation that the 2016 draft probably won’t yield a high enough draft pick to find a franchise quarterback to eventually replace Tony Romo, Jones interrupted.

“Except if a great one, Roethlisberger or Manziel, falls,” Jones said.

Ben Roethlisberger slid to Pittsburgh at No. 11 overall in 2004. In 2014, Johnny Manziel was still available at No. 16 when Jones, who doubles as the Cowboys’ final-say general manager, was on the clock.

Jones weighed Manziel against the fact Tony Romo was approaching the second year of a contract running through 2018, with $55 million guaranteed.

“We had Manziel at the top of our board, (still) on the board,” Jones said on a weekend Manziel returned to his college alma mater to attend a Texas A&M game. “So he’s a legitimate board pick and we’re sitting there and grinding through … should we go for this opportunity to take aquarterback that high that’s dropped down and start getting ready in case for when Romo is not here or God forbid if he got hurt.?

“That’s why I sat there to the last minute and stared at everybody and looked at everybody so that we could say, ‘Is this that shot? One has dropped to us?’

“Now you can ‘hindsight’ and look at how things have gone in Cleveland, but still that’s exactly why we sat there and had the agony.”

In Cleveland, debate over what the Browns should do with Manziel has run hot after he started in a 31-10 loss at Cincinnati Thursday night.

http://www.cantonrep.com/article/20151109/SPORTS/151109378

johnny-manziel-middle-finger-meme-jerry-jones.jpeg

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
The numbers may not be that far off if you count how many actual Cowboy fans are in attendance. But from a JJ perspective, a sold ticket is still a sold ticket despite who is sitting in the seat.

By the time Romo is finished..

the fans will start leaving.

Once that happens change will follow.

The big push to build the stadium has run its course..

I don't doubt Jones has the assets to survive a downturn in admission sales..

it's his ego that will force the changes.

Zordon

Reaction score

Regardless when we draft a QB, we'll be in QB purgatory if we let this coach and Wade Wilson groom him.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Manziell will be here in the next 2 years ....Jerry just can't resist.