Jerry recounts Manziel draft saga, thinks Romo can play 5 or 6 more years

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good lord, 5-6 years. LMAO! If he gets another year or 2 it would be amazing. Jerry is scary.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Romo's good for another 5-6 years............ha.

Marketing at it's finest.

You keep drinking,........er, I mean.....thinking that, jerry.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I know it's unpopular here, and I won't expound on reasons why, but I think we should give serious consideration to Robert Griffin as a backup and quarterback of the future should Washington decide to release him this offseason. The cost will obviously be very low, and he is very athletic and can add a new dynamic to this offense.

He hasn't shown an inability to go through progressions, etc. either, or throw from the pocket. Washington has just had an abysmal offensive line.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He hasn't shown an inability to go through progressions, etc. either, or throw from the pocket.
And that makes him an absolutely horrible fit for this system.

If he were healthy like he was prior to his knee and has the gimmick of the read option to make the offense and his responsibilities in it rudimentary, then he might be an option.

Right now, I cannot see a single redeeming quality to his play.

Aggie87

Reaction score
It is going to be so bad when Romo does retire. We're getting a small taste of it right now. Unbearable.

No way do I trust Jerry Jones to find a good replacement. He'll end up reaching the offseason Romo retires and we will be stuck with a turd at the position for half a decade.

That's how it's always been for the Cowboys it seems like.

It was tough to replace Danny White. They went through Steve Pelluer, Gary Hogeboom, Reggie Collier, and Kevin Sweeney. Even when they drafted Troy Aikman they weren't sure he was the answer, so they also got Steve Walsh.

Then after Aikman they tried Randall Cunningham, Anthony Wright, Quincy Carter, Ryan Leaf, Clint Stoerner, Chad Hutchinson, Vinny Testaverde, Drew Henson, and Drew Bledsoe before settling on undrafted Tony Romo, who was clearly a crapshoot at the time too.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Addressing an observation that the 2016 draft probably won’t yield a high enough draft pick to find a franchise quarterback to eventually replace Tony Romo, Jones interrupted.

“Except if a great one, Roethlisberger or Manziel, falls,” Jones said.

Ben Roethlisberger slid to Pittsburgh at No. 11 overall in 2004. In 2014, Johnny Manziel was still available at No. 16 when Jones, who doubles as the Cowboys’ final-say general manager, was on the clock.

Jones weighed Manziel against the fact Tony Romo was approaching the second year of a contract running through 2018, with $55 million guaranteed.

“We had Manziel at the top of our board, (still) on the board,” Jones said on a weekend Manziel returned to his college alma mater to attend a Texas A&M game. “So he’s a legitimate board pick and we’re sitting there and grinding through … should we go for this opportunity to take aquarterback that high that’s dropped down and start getting ready in case for when Romo is not here or God forbid if he got hurt.?

“That’s why I sat there to the last minute and stared at everybody and looked at everybody so that we could say, ‘Is this that shot? One has dropped to us?’

“Now you can ‘hindsight’ and look at how things have gone in Cleveland, but still that’s exactly why we sat there and had the agony.”

In Cleveland, debate over what the Browns should do with Manziel has run hot after he started in a 31-10 loss at Cincinnati Thursday night.

http://www.cantonrep.com/article/20151109/SPORTS/151109378

Can Romo play six more games without going back on IR never mind six years.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
That's how it's always been for the Cowboys it seems like.

It was tough to replace Danny White. They went through Steve Pelluer, Gary Hogeboom, Reggie Collier, and Kevin Sweeney. Even when they drafted Troy Aikman they weren't sure he was the answer, so they also got Steve Walsh.

Then after Aikman they tried Randall Cunningham, Anthony Wright, Quincy Carter, Ryan Leaf, Clint Stoerner, Chad Hutchinson, Vinny Testaverde, Drew Henson, and Drew Bledsoe before settling on undrafted Tony Romo, who was clearly a crapshoot at the time too.

By the sound of things we can look forward to the same methodology in getting Romo's successor.
Just great! :mad:

Wrangler87

Reaction score
I swear if Jerry Jones trades for/signs Johnny Manziel to this team, I'll lose it...

Get ready. If Cleveland is willing, I'll bet Jerry would throw at least a third their way this offseason.

That being said, the dude has his moments. He looked all world in the first half of the Bengals game Thursday, when he was scrambling and throwing on the run. Ironically, the Browns HC came out of halftime and said in an interview, basically, that they had to try to keep him in the pocket more. They did and his game went south (along with the multiple drops by WR).