Jerry Rice: Garoppolo Better Than Dak

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think garapilo would have won the SB if he just turned around and handed the ball off. His coaching staff screwed up big time. They had a lead and mahomes throwing ints. And they turn around let him throw the ball. Won the first playoff game by not passing. And had them on the ropes in the SB just running the ball.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Dak supporters are very sensitive and it's because his play actually does need defending if you're a fan of his.

Dak's a good solid player and so is Jimmy G.. I would take Dak over Jimmy G because I like Dak's mobility better. If Jimmy G was more mobile i'd take him over Dak. That's the tie breaker for me.

I just think Dak is a high floor / low ceiling player.

I would take Dak over Garrapolo as well without blinking. With that said, it doesn’t meant Jimmy G. Is trash.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
FWIW Jimmy Garoppolo is a fine enough QB on the rare occasions he is healthy.

If you want to put him with Wentz as guys that "could be" better than Dak if they had immunity from injury than that's possibly fair.
But in the NFL availability is the KEY ability and JG has started more than 5 games all of 1 time in his career.

Jimmy G won a lot of games last year but ate a lot more sacks while throwing for almost a 1000 less yards. He also threw less TD passes while tossing MORE INT. Dak passed for ~30 more First downs.

bigE79

Reaction score
Like it is said so many times around here when someone disputes or want to validate their point,"who are you gonna believe,an armchair qb or a HOFer?

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
They're similar.

Dak's had better offensive talent around him that elevates him but poor coaching.

Jimmy G has had mediocre offensive talent around him but great coaching.
And a very good defense to shorten the field.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak has not always had great weapons he's just had his weapons overhyped which is what most Cowboys fans do. They swear their team in the most talented team but then get confused when they end the season 8-8.

How many 1st years QB's have 3 experienced #1 picks on the offensive line. And a #1 (4 overall) pick at RB who became the NFL leading rusher. You can argue all you want about if you like them or not. But those ARE great weapons! Way better than many QB's have.

I never said it was the MOST talented team...but there you are..arguing that.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2016...witten and bryant weren't great weapons, both towards the end of their careers, us wanting to replace witten for years. Bryant, often injured and not effective....2017 spelled his doom, since he struggled to get any separation. witten was just slow as molasses and the second WRs were Brice Butler (woohoo) and Ryan switzer.....2018 we started with allen Hurns (woohoo) and rookie Gallup. swaim was the TE....when we got cooper in the second half, things took off and he was leading passer and led us to playoffs.

if you think any QB can have success, without talent around them, then you are kidding yourself. all the gret QBs everyone speaks of is always surronded with a bunch of all pros and probowlers (except maybe Rodgers, but he is a sure bet HOfer). even Brady had some great recieving threats. same with Brees.

and I am with you, if opportunity is there to run, get a crucial first down, make a play (like he did against seattle in the playoffs), then defintley go for it, but I don't want too many design QB run plays....

In the trenches...,here it counts for a young QB...he had THREE #1 picks on the o-line. a #1 (#4 overall) RB who become the NFL leading rusher. Would have done it AT LEAST 3 of the 4 years if not for GODells' war on Jerry.

If you these guys aren;t weapon and had nothing to do with Dak's success, then you are kidding yourself. But not me.

Notice I said Dak was successful? You might have missed that in the penchant to argue.

I'm glad we agree on TIMELY runs when it's there...to keep them honest.

bigE79

Reaction score
He was the difference of why they lost. You clearly seen last year that he couldn't carry the team without every thing going well for him.
Sort of like Dak.. you could clearly see HE couldn't carry our team without everything going well,esp against philly with everything on the line and against philly's scrubs.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm a millennial. An old millennial but still a millennial none the less.

Lamar will be as good as long as he can run because his ability to run forces defenses to matchup on his wideouts a specific way that is easier for them to get open.

Guys like him though usually start taking hits and start trying to play from the pocket more and have short careers.

It's only a matter of time...imo. I don;t want to see him hurt...he;s exciting. But a QB doing that has a proven track record.

bewp7

Reaction score
could be true...neither one is that great. not like he say jimmy g is better then russ wilson or pat mahomes or some thing crasy.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Why don't these Dak-hating supposed Cowboys fans go follow another team instead? We all know y'all are not true Cowboys fans, especially when you praise lesser QBs from other teams while trashing your much better own QB.

Stats easily prove which is the better QB between the two...

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/qb/2019

Last edited:

bigE79

Reaction score
Against Green Bay, Garoppolo was 14 of 20 for 253 yards and 2 TDs (2 carries, 1 yard) in a 37-8 victory in the 2019 regular season. He was 6 of 8 for 77 yards and 0 TDs (4 carries, minus-1 yard) in a 37-20 playoff victory.

Dak Prescott was 27 of 44 for 463 yards, 2 TDs and 3 ints. (4 carries, 27 yards) in last year's 34-24 loss at Green Bay. He was 24 of 38 for 302 yards, 3 TDs and 1 int. (2 carries, 13 yards) in the 2016 34-31 playoff lose to the Packers.

I really wish fans would stop crediting QBs with W/L ratios and beating a team. Unless the rest of the team was on the sideline the entire time and the quarterback single-handedly whipped an opponent, he did not beat them, his team did possibly because the offense blocked better, the playmakers made more plays or the defense was better (or a combination of those things). The QB was just one factor.

Just in case someone wants to make the argument that if Dak hadn't thrown the interceptions against Green Bay, we would have won, the week before playing Green Bay in the playoffs, Garoppolo was 11 of 19 (58 percent) for 131 yards with 1 TD and 1 int. against Minnesota, and San Fran still won 27-10. Again, winning takes a team.
The only stats that matter is who got to the sb and who lost to philly's scrubs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
How many 1st years QB's have 3 experienced #1 picks on the offensive line. And a #1 (4 overall) pick at RB who became the NFL leading rusher. You can argue all you want about if you like them or not. But those ARE great weapons! Way better than many QB's have.

I never said it was the MOST talented team...but there you are..arguing that.
Uhh did I say you said that?I said that Cowboy fans think they have the most talented team. I didn't say Cowboy Lover said that.........

And I also never said Dak didn't have a great line. But his receivers are all out of the league except Beasley who's a slot receiver....Witten retired and came back....Dez and Twill out of the league......defense was subpar as well talent wise. But if you want to argue that all you need is a offensive line and a running back to win in this league then be my guest.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Not outrageous
Im a believer in qb rating. Dak career 97. Jimmy 100.0
Jimmy took a team to a SB. Dak hasnt gotten to the conference game
Its close at this point. But I wouldnt be at all surprised if Dak was much better in 2020 than him. We shall see.

Now the Dak slobbers will hone in on only certain words in my comment and get mad, when in fact I made a balanced comment.

Lets look at a couople of things. Yes the 49ers got to the conference championship and Super Bowl but what did Garoppolo do. In the conference championship game he had ZERO TD's, in fact he only threw 9 passes all game.and ran 4 times for a -1 yards. In the Super Bowl he had 1 TD but 2 picks. Lastly Garappolo didn't have Garret as coach.

Now Aikman has always been harder on the Cowboys as he says so he won't be perceived as a homer but Rice is obviously being a homer.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Its tough to be the best player on your team at the position Zach plays. I know it sounds cool to say because he's one of the best players at his position but I can't say he was the best. He'd probably come after Cooper, Gallup, Dak and Zeke for me. Now the Colts can say Nelson was probably their best player.