Jerry Rice: Garoppolo Better Than Dak

InTheZone

Reaction score
I have 10 clear cut better QBs than Dak. I have several more rated about equal. With those other QBs on this though I'm almost certain we'd get better results, but not the other way around.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love how other QB not named Dak can’t be even decent. Folks feel obligated to trash and blindly denigrate other QBs in a lame and misguided effort to defend Dak’s honor.

I said in another thread some act like Dak is the protected special needs child that you shouldn't say anything of hurt their feelings. (and I am NOT insulting anyone! We care for children's feelings) ) I said this in response to someone actually having the nerve to tell me to not criticize Dak.

I will support Dak like I do any Cowboy. I will (as fairly as possible) criticize Dak like any other Cowboy as I see fit. There's room for some criticism he;s not a perfect QB.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think Dak has shown more then Jimmy up to this point however the rest of the statement is true. Jimmy was also hurt last year
San Fran also had arguably one of the top 3 defenses in football. IF we ever get the defense in order no reason why we can't go deep into the playoffs every year

It's a league where it's hard to be great everywhere..

We have chosen offense.

San Fran chose defense.

We're most likely never going to be great on both sides of the ball so I think we need to just forget about the lack of defense excuse for Dak because if we acquire a great defense the offense around him will dwindle and then we will make excuses for the offense around him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think he is right and I believe Garoppolo is only making $28 mill year. That's problem with entire Dak contract negotiations is that Garoppolo is fair comparison but Dak and his agent see himself as top 5.
Yeah, JG makes 27.5 mil per year
It gives the 49ers an extra 10 mil to spend on other players

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
this year Dak has great weapons. great players know how to utilize their weapons and produce results (of what they control, not just wins and losses). last year Dak had a couple of weapons in gallup and Cooper and he was the second leading passer, despite being handicapped by garrett. since we added cooper, he has been among the best passers.

I have always argued that its what you are able to accomplish once given weapons, because its a myth that player put the team on their back and take average players and make them into probowlers. three years ago, even in his first year we had average weapons on offense, outside of zeke in 2016.

and I agree that they maybe similar, but seemingly grapolo took a step back last year. his playoff performance was way underwhelming. he passed for 77 yards in the first playoff game and 131 in the other win. both games they had great great rushing attack and great defense.

I don't see Dak as a bus driver. I think he is in the 5-10 range in the league. and most rankings by experts and analysts have him ranked there.

btw, I don't like running QBs...I don't think that's how you win. even the great lamar jackson didn't succeed and got owned by Titans. QBs have to be able to pass their way to success, mobility is key, not running ability as a threat. mobile enough to make a few plays here and there with their legs......I don't like a player like jackson on my team (unless its my fantasy team :))

Dak has ALWAYS had great weapons...and has slowly been getting even more. If you think he could walk into any team and have the same success you are kidding yourself.

I don;t expect Dak to become a "running QB". But I do expect him to take better advantage of running into wide open spaces. Not recklessly but with care. The D will only take so much of that before they have to play the field. It would only benefit Dak. Don't try to be a hero and rack up yards like Lamar. Just make them pay a little bit here and there.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think it's PFF but I don't subscribe.
From Twitter but edited for language
Dak Prescott aDOT: 9.3 (5th) YAC/CMP: 4.9 (25tg) 25% PA Yards Deep Accuracy: 54.72% (6th) 0.23 EPA/P 70.20 QBR
Jimmy Garoppolo aDOT: 6.5 (31st) YAC/CMP: 6.6 (1st) 36% PA Yards Deep Accuracy: 51.82% (10th) 0.22 EPA/P 58.80 QBR

Not arguing in favor of JG, but it does depend on who your WRs are and the type of offense you are asked to run.

Redline360

Reaction score
It's a league where it's hard to be great everywhere..

We have chosen offense.

San Fran chose defense.

We're most likely never going to be great on both sides of the ball so I think we need to just forget about the lack of defense excuse for Dak because if we acquire a great defense the offense around him will dwindle and then we will make excuses for the offense around him.

I believe someone posted a link showing that the majority of the superbowl winning teams over the past 20+ years have had both the offense & defense ranked in the top 10 besides a few years. I will see if i can find the article when i get home

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dak has ALWAYS had great weapons...and has slowly been getting even more. If you think he could walk into any team and have the same success you are kidding yourself.

I don;t expect Dak to become a "running QB". But I do expect him to take better advantage of running into wide open spaces. Not recklessly but with care. The D will only take so much of that before they have to play the field. It would only benefit Dak. Don't try to be a hero and rack up yards like Lamar. Just make them pay a little bit here and there.
Dak has not always had great weapons he's just had his weapons overhyped which is what most Cowboys fans do. They swear their team in the most talented team but then get confused when they end the season 8-8.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think he is right and I believe Garoppolo is only making $28 mill year. That's problem with entire Dak contract negotiations is that Garoppolo is fair comparison but Dak and his agent see himself as top 5.
Jimmy G got his 28 million pre-Super Bowl run. His contract would be far more than 28 million now. But that's been what a lot of us have been trying to get some of you guys to understand. Whatever Dak signs for will not look nearly as bad a few years later. Do you remember how people said that Jimmy G contract was terrible?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I believe someone posted a link showing that the majority of the superbowl winning teams over the past 20+ years have had both the offense & defense ranked in the top 10 besides a few years. I will see if i can find the article when i get home

Yeah i'd like to see that.

I believe Points Allowed is more important for winning titles than defensive ranking. I might be wrong on that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dak has not always had great weapons he's just had his weapons overhyped which is what most Cowboys fans do. They swear their team in the most talented team but then get confused when they end the season 8-8.

Disagree.. There is plenty of unbiased sources that have been hyping our roster since Dak came into the league. It's not a Cowboy fan thing.

Is it just Cowboy fans hyping the Cowboys weapons right now?

What about last year?

cowboyec

Reaction score
9ers stickin' up for 9ers.
screw'm.
screw'm all.
:starspin:COWBOYS:starspin:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Disagree.. There is plenty of unbiased sources that have been hyping our roster since Dak came into the league. It's not a Cowboy fan thing.
But the hype comes from this fanbase. It comes from Jerry and this fanbase drinking Kool aid. Sean Lee is a prime example. I like the guy but the way they use to rave about him was if he was Luke Kuechly. Beasley is another. As a matter of fact that whole 2016 receiving core was overrated as it turned out. Dez and Terrance are out of the league and Beasey is a decent slot corner.

I'll say this about Romo he was the only one that as actually overrated by fans but underrated by anyone outside of this market.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
To be fair, Dak accumulated most of his numbers against trash teams.

We all watched the same games last year... its hard to deny

And Zeke disappeared vs good defenses. How'd Aikman do without a running game?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
But the hype comes from this fanbase. It comes from Jerry and this fanbase drinking Kool aid. Sean Lee is a prime example. I like the guy but the way they use to rave about him was if he was Luke Kuechly. Beasley is another. As a matter of fact that whole 2016 receiving core was overrated as it turned out. Dez and Terrance are out of the league and Beasey is a decent slot corner.

I'll say this about Romo he was the only one that as actually overrated by fans but underrated by anyone outside of this market.

Well I would disagree..

2016 Dak was in about as optimal of an environment as a QB could be in.

2017 was good too.. Then we lost Zeke and Tyron got hurt and Dak was exposed.

2018.. The weapons were not good until Cooper got here and he was the MVP of that season because Dak and Zeke got nothing done on their own.

2019.. It kind of picked up where 2018 left off.. Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Zeke, Pollard, those are fantastic weapons.. But.. Cooper being the MVP of the team we kind of just did as well as he did. Through the first 9 weeks he was a top 5 WR. Probably top 3.. Then weeks 10-16 he went to garbage and so did the Cowboys.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well I would disagree..

2016 Dak was in about as optimal of an environment as a QB could be in.

2017 was good too.. Then we lost Zeke and Tyron got hurt and Dak was exposed.

2018.. The weapons were not good until Cooper got here and he was the MVP of that season because Dak and Zeke got nothing done on their own.

2019.. It kind of picked up where 2018 left off.. Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Zeke, Pollard, those are fantastic weapons.. But.. Cooper being the MVP of the team we kind of just did as well as he did. Through the first 9 weeks he was a top 5 WR. Probably top 3.. Then weeks 10-16 he went to garbage and so did the Cowboys.

Yeah but let's talk about 2015.....Romo goes down and that team couldn't win A GAME. I believe they went 4-12 which is how we even got Zeke to begin with. That does not sound like a talented team. Granted, you expect a drop off from Romo to guys like Cassell and Weeden......but not to the point they can't beat ANYONE.

2018.....Cooper sucked prior to coming to Dallas. That was how we got him. Because he had stunk. He and Dak are the ones that had chemistry together.

The talented is overrated. Its not to say they don't have any talent but to pretend like other teams don't have talent just as good or better is why I say its overrated.