Jerry said, "I would do anything to win another Super Bowl"

CWR

Reaction score
Holy Larry, if he truly believes no one would be better, then he is truly off his rocker.

Yeah well think about Jerry's confidence level. In life first and foremost, he been very successful in business, and from all outward appearances his family life as well. We know how he made his money.Then he bought the Cowboys and quickly won 3 superbowls. Despite our short comings over the last 25 years or so we rarely field a team that isn't at least competitive ON PAPER.

By all accounts Jerry is winning at life. Then you look at his skins on the wall and how highly rated his teams often are. He is a HOF owner and has a massive footprint on the league...AND it's my belief he thinks he is very close, had it not for a bad bounce or two he would have six. (Jerry's opinion)

So yeah brother, I don't think Jerry lacks any confidence in his perceived GM abilities. Lol, I'm sorry to say it, AND please understand this is completely and totally my opinion and it doesn't actually hold in basis in fact. Just my observations or attempts to under stand the man.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree that if he hadn't had that early success, primarily because of Jimmy, things might be different. Jerry falls back on that as proof that he's a good GM. However, he fails to acknowledge that it's because Jimmy was pretty much running the team.

I only say might be different because Jerry's got a huge ego that might not allow him to ever see that he's not a good GM, even with no Super Bowls.
Doesn’t matter whether he sees it or not. If he’s not forced financially to make a change he’s not.

CWR

Reaction score
He said that with some very circular logic, essentially circling back to his belief that he gives the team the best chance of winning.

“When you work for yourself, there’s no firing him. You got to change him, and he’s got to change the direction he’s going. I’ve worked all my life for myself, but I’ve had to change directions many times. So, I will change. I can change. I’m not saying which way (I’ll change). But I’m capable of change. I’ve had to (in order to) have any success in my life.”

Here's the quote you're referencing about firing himself as GM:

"Well, I think so, because he was there to dismiss. I've always worked for myself and you can't do that. You basically have to straighten that guy out in the mirror when you work for yourself. But certainly, if I'd had the discretion, I've done it with coaches and certainly I would have changed a general manager."

However, he was talking about based on past performance. Looking at the results, he would have fired that GM, but since he's GM and owner, he just has to improve.

This is from a 2014 ESPN article:

It's become a preseason rite that this question is posed in Dallas: Why hasn't owner Jerry Jones fired general manager Jerry Jones? Every summer, Jones gamely parries the question, always acknowledging the team's past futility but never leaving any doubt that nothing will change.

"We would have thought that, with Romo as our quarterback, with a coach, a young coach, like Jason Garrett, that we should have been in better shape to compete," Jones says at Valley Ranch. "So I'd be highly critical.

"On the other hand, I would have to look at what the GM has been -- what he's been in the past and, I would like to think, capable of what he can do in the future."

When speaking of his role as GM, Jones often refers to himself in the third person, as if doing so might keep his shoddy performance at a safe distance.

Asked to grade his performance as GM, he says, "I'd give a C. If we had won a half a game more a year, we would be in the top five winningest teams in the NFL. ... We've been in a rut. Now, that stops with me. But the best person to get us out of the rut is me."

That last sentence says it all imo. He knows he needs to be better, but still believes he gives us the best chance of winning.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jethro’s biggest concern is fan apathy. As long as fans have some hope he’s won. That’s all he’s selling.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
I listened to the talking heads acting "shocked" at the "new" Jerry, pretending like they are buying into Jerry's latest "I'd do anything" speech, while he squeezed out a couple tears. No, no you won't do "anything", Jerry. You won't hire a real coach, won't sign valuable FAs, and will give out ridiculous contracts to our own that hurt us well down the road. You also made it easy to read between the lines when asked if you thought we could win the SB this year. You don't think we can, but you're staying "positive".

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
They are addicted to the perception. And that’s fine if that’s all they want.

I’m just saying if we really wanted to bring about change we always hold the power . But it takes effort and sacrifice.
It doesn't take a damn bit of sacrifice from me. I have not paid out of my own pocket for a damned bit of Cowboys merchandise since the early 1990s.

You think there is going to be change soon?

Bless your heart.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Doesn’t matter whether he sees it or not. If he’s not forced financially to make a change he’s not.

And he's not going to be ... which is why I don't really worry about it. Nothing I can do except quit following the team that I love, and I'm not willing to make that sacrifice.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It doesn't take a damn bit of sacrifice from me. I have not paid out of my own pocket for a damned bit of Cowboys merchandise since the early 1990s.

Bless your heart.
No, I don’t . I don’t believe the fans have the willpower.

I’m just saying we ultimately hold the power. It could begin by flipping the channel. Empty seats in the stadium. That’s the kind of impact needed.

gimmesix

Reaction score
That last sentence says it all imo. He knows he needs to be better, but still believes he gives us the best chance of winning.

Yeah, obviously, some don't get that. They want to read more into it.

Reactions: CWR

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And he's not going to be ... which is why I don't really worry about it. Nothing I can do except quit following the team that I love, and I'm not willing to make that sacrifice.
And that pretty well sums up our situation.

As long as we continue feeding the beast, we are at his mercy.

gimmesix

Reaction score
And that pretty well sums up our situation.

I followed this team well before Jerry Jones and hope to be following it well after him. Of course, then we'll have Stephen and I'm not sure if he'll hire a football guy, either.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
And this year he’s on top of the world because he’ll be featured on HBO. Lights! Camera! Action! Umm, Ahh, Uhh….

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
No, I don’t . I don’t believe the fans have the willpower.

I’m just saying we ultimately hold the power. It could begin by flipping the channel. Empty seats in the stadium. That’s the kind of impact needed.
It is not willpower It is the majority dont care that Jerry is the owner it does not bother them. What is bad is every single thread in a fan forum being blown up by Jerry haters daily like clockwork a Rolex at that

Reactions: CWR

gimmesix

Reaction score

Bless your heart.

It isn't just about merchandise, though. TV ratings have a big impact on the bottom line. Advertisers line up at Jerry's door because he has the most-watched team in the NFL.

So we're all guilty of supporting him by supporting the team. That doesn't bother me; just wanted to point it out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It is not willpower It is the majority dont care that Jerry is the owner it does not bother them. What is bad is every single thread in a fan forum being blown up by Jerry haters daily like clockwork a Rolex at that
I think fans do care. Just not enough to take action.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It isn't just about merchandise, though. TV ratings have a big impact on the bottom line. Advertisers line up at Jerry's door because he has the most-watched team in the NFL.

So we're all guilty of supporting him by supporting the team. That doesn't bother me; just wanted to point it out.
It is what it is. There’s many business we patronage out there where we don’t like or approve of how ownership runs it but out of convenience or necessity we still support .

gimmesix

Reaction score

I'd absolutely love for Jerry to realize he needs to hire a GM. Do I think he'll do it? Absolutely not. My only hope while Jerry is still capable to being slightly coherent is that my team wins despite him.

I don't sweat him being the GM. I don't rant and rave about it. Because what good does it do? Of course, I guess you could say that about most of the things we debate on this forum, but I don't really rant and rave about those either.

gimmesix

Reaction score
It is what it is. There’s many business we patronage out there where we don’t like or approve of how ownership runs it out of convenience or necessity.

I'm not sure I do that. Of course, I don't really know the owners of many of the businesses I use. That's part of the problem with Jerry. We're very familiar with him and we don't like what we hear or see, but we love his product even when we hate it.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
I'm not sure I do that. Of course, I don't really know the owners of many of the businesses I use. That's part of the problem with Jerry. We're very familiar with him and we don't like what we hear or see, but we love his product even when we hate it.
I will not support or make purchases at several businesses because of what the support and do But I will not discuss that because it would get me in heap big trouble here