Twitter: Jerry says Tyron Smith is "iffy" for Sunday

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't get why they won't play (Tyler) Smith on the outside and Edoga as LG?
Only thing I can think of is they feel Tyron is close to returning. And don't want to change too many things up moving players around.
Which goes against their "player flex" crap they throw out at the fans and media all the time.

blueblood70

Reaction score
As always with the Cowboys injuries, I am puzzled by what is Tyron's injury. How did it happen, and what is his prognosis? He apparently did something to his knee in a practice over two weeks ago. Now he will miss his 3rd game. What kind of medicine do they practice in Dallas? Is it swollen? Is there a tear? A strain? How did it happen and how come they did not know within a few days it would be 3 or 4 weeks before he could play again? Lane Johnson tore a groin muscle last year and played a week later. Tyron gets a mystery knee tweak and he is out indefinitely. He must be a medical miracle because doctors have no idea how injured he is or when he will heal!

In his 1st 5 years as a Cowboy, Tyron missed 1 game.
His next 4 years he missed 3 games each year.
In his 10th year he missed 14 games (played 2)
then he missed 5 and 13 games the next 2 years.
This year he already missed half their games and it looks like he will miss 3 of 5.

The thing is, we don't know if he will be back next week or any week. With Tyron the doctors apparently shrug their shoulders.

Guys get injured. Then they get healthy and they return to the field. In Dallas guys get injured, they are questionable but missed 5 or 6 games. I get the feeling Dallas is going to hold him out until after the bye. Why don't they just say so.

It is frustrating, as you can tell from my sarcasm. But I was the most confident going into this season as I have been since the 1990s. The only thing I thought that could derail this team is injuries and coaching. With Martin apparently breaking down now we needed Tyron to step up and instead he is letting us down again. Maybe there is something to be said for staying young and letting players go once they his 32 or so.
Why did they owe you anything they don't owe the fans a single thing all they have to do is report his injury per the NFL rules everything else is gamesmanship they want teams to think he's gonna play this week and his knee is there today if this is a playoff game he plays if this literally was the playoffs I believe he would play if not he would be on IR but they don't owe you anything they don't owe us anything you do not own the team you do not run the team you are not a league resource they are doing what they're supposed to do report the injury let you know that he's still doubtful or what his status is that's it you don't need to know the inner workings of it at all other teams do this as well I mean saquon Barkley was supposed to maybe play last night and then all of a sudden he didn't,,,,

blueblood70

Reaction score
Only thing I can think of is they feel Tyron is close to returning. And don't want to change too many things up moving players around.
Which goes against their "player flex" crap they throw out at the fans and media all the time.
They don't owe the fans anything the only thing they required to is reporting Injuries to the league that's it and they're letting you know his status that's it they don't owe anybody anything this is the way they choose to keep people guessing then that includes the fans the fans don't own this team the fans are not obligated or entitled to know anything more than what's reported to the league it's called gamesmanship..

You all are just some self-entitled whiny fans who think they're owed something more than what the $10 billion owner of the franchise decides to let you know it's a need to know basis it's that simple yo crack me up you all worried about Tyrone Smith he hasn't played the last two weeks right so let edoga or whoever else needs to get some play time get their play time in I'd rather have this guy ready for the long haul I....

I would put him on IR but again that's not on me.. I would bring him back in five weeks off IR use the 2-3 week ramp up period to leave that spot open and then we'd have a more fresh and ready for the playoffs...

starfan1

Reaction score
Never heard his name mentioned for any penalty or sacks allowed. Maybe someone else did.

The 2 sacks on Dak in the red zone seemed they came from the right side.
thats what Im getting at really. I dont think hes been horrible. he struggles a bit against the jets but has improved or was that the Cards

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They don't owe the fans anything the only thing they required to is reporting Injuries to the league that's it and they're letting you know his status that's it they don't owe anybody anything this is the way they choose to keep people guessing then that includes the fans the fans don't own this team the fans are not obligated or entitled to know anything more than what's reported to the league it's called gamesmanship..

You all are just some self-entitled whiny fans who think they're owed something more than what the $10 billion owner of the franchise decides to let you know it's a need to know basis it's that simple yo crack me up you all worried about Tyrone Smith he hasn't played the last two weeks right so let edoga or whoever else needs to get some play time get their play time in I'd rather have this guy ready for the long haul I....

I would put him on IR but again that's not on me.. I would bring him back in five weeks off IR use the 2-3 week ramp up period to leave that spot open and then we'd have a more fresh and ready for the playoffs...
No one said they owe us anything. But they do throw that term out there a lot.
Why can't you make a post without throwing it out there some fans are whining when they are not?
Come on.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The problem is that he is rarely out there. Maybe you fail to see this as a major issue?
This is where our lack of using FA well to bring in one or two studs gets me. Not saying I would have brought in the best guard in FA. What I would have done is go hard after Javon Hargrave to be that middle stud this defense has lacked, then having done that I would have spent the first-rounder on a G. Since the player Dallas liked was Matthew Bergeron, either take him with our pick or trade down some for him (based on what we heard on draft day, I believe we could have traded down with someone wanting Mazi). Bergeron then would have become the future at left guard who could have stepped in in this situation and let us move Tyler back out to left tackle.

Hargrave would have been expensive considering what San Fran paid for him, but he's also proven his value (and that's the type of expensive FAs we need to be willing to spend on).

blueblood70

Reaction score
No one said they owe us anything. But they do throw that term out there a lot.
Why can't you make a post without throwing it out there some fans are whining when they are not?
Come on.
No the responses here say otherwise, that this fan base is self-entitled every time there's injury reports that don't quite go their way the conspiracy theories always start and then they have to offer up what they would do and they have to ask why why why

I can tell you why that's the way they felt like handling it that's it

so let's worry about the players that probably will be starting and let's talk about the 49ers...

I mean unless you think Caleb Williams is going to be a part of this team anytime soon because that's the other nonsensical posts that keep getting started around here...

blueblood70

Reaction score
This is where our lack of using FA well to bring in one or two studs gets me. Not saying I would have brought in the best guard in FA. What I would have done is go hard after Javon Hargrave to be that middle stud this defense has lacked, then having done that I would have spent the first-rounder on a G. Since the player Dallas liked was Matthew Bergeron, either take him with our pick or trade down some for him (based on what we heard on draft day, I believe we could have traded down with someone wanting Mazi). Bergeron then would have become the future at left guard who could have stepped in in this situation and let us move Tyler back out to left tackle.

Hargrave would have been expensive considering what San Fran paid for him, but he's also proven his value (and that's the type of expensive FAs we need to be willing to spend on).
OK GM...

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Jerry usually tries a positive spin. Him saying iffy means he isnt playing.
Unless he is playing coy and using it as strategy against the Niners....naw he probably isn't. Tyron will sit most likely. We need him this game for sure. How friggin bad could he be as he hasn't even played in a while?

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Why did they owe you anything they don't owe the fans a single thing all they have to do is report his injury per the NFL rules everything else is gamesmanship they want teams to think he's gonna play this week and his knee is there today if this is a playoff game he plays if this literally was the playoffs I believe he would play if not he would be on IR but they don't owe you anything they don't owe us anything you do not own the team you do not run the team you are not a league resource they are doing what they're supposed to do report the injury let you know that he's still doubtful or what his status is that's it you don't need to know the inner workings of it at all other teams do this as well I mean saquon Barkley was supposed to maybe play last night and then all of a sudden he didn't,,,,
Bottom line: 8-14 games with Tyron is better than 0 games with Tyron for the Cowboys. Tyler Smith is playing at an All-Pro level at Guard. Sometimes, you take what you can get, and fill in behind when the player isn't available. The reason the Cowboys do this (to the frustration of many fans) is Tyron Smith is just THAT GOOD. Anything from Tyron is a bonus for the team.

I'm curious to see if the Cowboys will try out Asim Richards at Tackle. He seemed to do okay there during preseason, but I'm sure the Cowboys don't want to derail his confidence by putting him out there too soon. There are PLENTY of NFL teams who have to deal with less than Pro Bowl level Left Tackles in the NFL. The Cowboys will have to figure out how to compensate. That is why the coaches are paid. The Cowboys have some young talent on the team. Might it be a trial by fire? Sure. But that is how young players can develop - or fail.

And by the way, the Cowboys did sign an offseason veteran, and they played him almost exclusively at Tackle during preseason. His name is Chuma Edoga. So, the Cowboys do have a plan, which they are implementing. Edoga is the swing tackle, like it or not. And for the 3rd Tackle, he's playing as good or better than we can expect. Heck, he's playing better than some starters (cough, cough, see Giants and Jets.) Tyron Smith is on a one-year, renegotiated, pay-for-play contract. That is the Cowboys plan for this season. I'm pretty sure they know that they need to find replacements for both Zack Martin and Tyron Smith in the next 2 off-seasons. Zack has given every indication he'll retire after the 2024 season, and this could be Tyron's last year.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Bottom line: 8-14 games with Tyron is better than 0 games with Tyron for the Cowboys. Tyler Smith is playing at an All-Pro level at Guard. Sometimes, you take what you can get, and fill in behind when the player isn't available. The reason the Cowboys do this (to the frustration of many fans) is Tyron Smith is just THAT GOOD. Anything from Tyron is a bonus for the team.

I'm curious to see if the Cowboys will try out Asim Richards at Tackle. He seemed to do okay there during preseason, but I'm sure the Cowboys don't want to derail his confidence by putting him out there too soon. There are PLENTY of NFL teams who have to deal with less than Pro Bowl level Left Tackles in the NFL. The Cowboys will have to figure out how to compensate. That is why the coaches are paid. The Cowboys have some young talent on the team. Might it be a trial by fire? Sure. But that is how young players can develop - or fail.
I agree you don't have to convince me of that that's why I'm saying you might put the guy in IR bring him back in five weeks plus use those extra couple weeks you're allowed so he's not taking up a roster spot and get him ramped up for the playoff run those last end of the game end of the year it's very tough all those road games we could use a guy like him going forward and yes you fill in admirably when you can..

And yes I would like to see Richards out at left tackle some I don't know if this is the right week to do that but maybe bring him in for one series or two here and there

Carson

Reaction score
Isn't it Tyron's history to sit at least 3 games?

btw, if you watched the Giants - Seahawks game last night you saw what 2 injuries on the OL did to the Giants. The Cowboys had 3 backups playing against the Cardinals. The Giants wish they have the Cowboys backups, and that include Farniok who was cut.
Man I don’t know why people love Farniok.

He is stuck on the practice squad of the worst team in the league who was missing 3 players.