Jerry should go all in on Daron Payne

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m 100% in on that plan. Question is what moves are we making to open up the cap space.
The two big moves I see are Elliott and Tyron Smith. Post June 6th cuts or trades can free up about $20 million in cap space.
They won’t do that. If they cut them it will be during the Spring so that they can get on with a new team sooner than later. They will give them the dignity. They always pull that crap for once good vet players…….
My only hope is that Jerry realizes he's old and this current way of being el cheapo in FA maxes out in the divisional and let SJ cry over the future cap when he kicks the bucket.

You can designate the cut as a June 1st but cut them in March. Just the cap savings won't apply till June 1st. That being said, Smith IMO has trade value. Unless they pull a JJ Watt and cut him so he can go to the team of his choice.
Bingo.

People act like that money is available immediately. It's not. The Cowboys have to carry it until June 1. So if they want to use that $10 million saved at the start of FA, they have to actually create $10 million of space somewhere else that they then would technically "recoup" (for the lack of a better term) after June 1.
I just created 50M of cap space in 2023:
Pre June 1st cut Zeke
Pre June 1st cut Tyron
3 contracts restructured

Cowfan75

Reaction score
The bigger question is how can Daddy & Son make it appear as though they are interested in this player, thereby creating some buzz until said player signs elsewhere?

infamousstyles

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if zeke actually gets cut. Jerry Jones can't say goodbye to his "family" and zeke still sells jerseys.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I just created 50M of cap space in 2023:
Pre June 1st cut Zeke
Pre June 1st cut Tyron
3 contracts restructured
Does the name of one of those restructured players rhyme with Pak Descott? I'm extremely interested to see if the Cowboys move more of his money around or actually eat a big piece of that cap hit this year.

Not that I think you're wrong, I actually think at least 3 of the 5 moves you just proposed happens, however, I'm guessing the $15ish MM gained by the Zek/Tyron cuts are wiped out by resigning a few of our own like LVE & Wilson. Maybe those would be back heavy contracts to ease the cap its, but does anyone want to see that with LVEs injury risk? I see a likely franchise tag to Pollard which eats up probably $10-$12MM in space. Then you have to find a swing tackle and LG if you're letting McGovern walk.

No doubt the Cowboys can make pretty much any move they want this offseason, but Jerry is going to have to dial back the clock if the goal is to create space to go after top tier free agents. Just thinking about that gives me 2002 flashbacks to La'Roi Glover Kevin Hard and Bryan Westbrook, which is great for offseason optimism....bad for the actual results though.