Jerry should not forget the Giants last Possession

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Problem is Jerry doesnt like big fat 350lb DTs. They value DEs so much and dont care about the middle.

I think that may change. We gave up an embarrassing amount of rushing yards. Gallimore, 300lbs plus, was a bright spot. Maybe that will change. Plus, I think that may have been more Marinelli.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Keep in mind, the 40 time shown is a projected time. Not official. Plenty of time between now and the combine. Still, who knew that Gallup would be as good as he is as a 3rd rounder? You can find WR in the midrounds. Normally I'd agree with you. But in this, we need defence in the worst way, and WR is a bit easier to replace than other positions. Also, Gallup's contract is up after this upcoming season. So,I'd be heading off the need to resign him or lose him to FA.

First saying the round a player is drafted in is what locks him in on how good he could be is so foolish. I won't list an entire page of them. just a couple that proves that idea completely false. Brady was taken in the 6th round and Romo wasn't even drafted.

You're right that Gallup's contract isn't up until after the 2021 season and because of that the Cowboys can wait until after the season to worry about him and don't have to extend him this off season. Yes it's possible to draft a replacement after the 2021 season and it's also possible that who they draft never progresses and isn't as good as Gallup. I just never understand why people are so quick to trade good players with zero guarantees that whoever they draft to replace them is as good let alone better. That and their desire to weaken one position, a position the Cowboys turned into a position of strength, with the idea that the draft pick they get for the player will result in curing all the problems on defense after weakening another position.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
First saying the round a player is drafted in is what locks him in on how good he could be is so foolish. I won't list an entire page of them. just a couple that proves that idea completely false. Brady was taken in the 6th round and Romo wasn't even drafted.

You're right that Gallup's contract isn't up until after the 2021 season and because of that the Cowboys can wait until after the season to worry about him and don't have to extend him this off season. Yes it's possible to draft a replacement after the 2021 season and it's also possible that who they draft never progresses and isn't as good as Gallup. I just never understand why people are so quick to trade good players with zero guarantees that whoever they draft to replace them is as good let alone better. That and their desire to weaken one position, a position the Cowboys turned into a position of strength, with the idea that the draft pick they get for the player will result in curing all the problems on defense after weakening another position.

Oh no doubt about draft position. I still think that Dak is better than the QBs in this draft and he was taken in round 4. And Romo is one of my favourite QBs of all time. However, WR is a bit more common to draft than a QB. Which is where I will counter your second argument. I think Gallup is an excellent player. However, I wouldn't break the bank for him. We need help on defence. If we aren't able to keep him, then at best, we will be getting a 3rd round comp pick for him. He's on the last year of his contract. So, I'd rather try to get at least a 1st round pick for him instead. I think that we can get a 1 and a 4 for him. I think that's a better trade off than a 3.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Oh no doubt about draft position. I still think that Dak is better than the QBs in this draft and he was taken in round 4. And Romo is one of my favourite QBs of all time. However, WR is a bit more common to draft than a QB. Which is where I will counter your second argument. I think Gallup is an excellent player. However, I wouldn't break the bank for him. We need help on defence. If we aren't able to keep him, then at best, we will be getting a 3rd round comp pick for him. He's on the last year of his contract. So, I'd rather try to get at least a 1st round pick for him instead. I think that we can get a 1 and a 4 for him. I think that's a better trade off than a 3.

Name me all the #2 receivers for a team that another team gave up a 1st and a 4th for? Teams work very hard to get the best players they can and when they finally get them and get in the position the Cowboys are in with 3 really good receivers, to then weaken what they worked so hard to get to, is not a smart decision. What that does is saying the Cowboys wasted time and effort building up the receiver squad. A big part of what makes the Cowboys offense what it is and so hard for defenses to defend against them is having those 3 receivers. It's impossible to double cover all three so one is going to be open. That was proven many times this season. Teams can't get into the notion that when players they draft turn out to be really good that they then trade them off before that rookie contract is up or they will forever be in a rebuilding mode.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Name me all the #2 receivers for a team that another team gave up a 1st and a 4th for? Teams work very hard to get the best players they can and when they finally get them and get in the position the Cowboys are in with 3 really good receivers, to then weaken what they worked so hard to get to, is not a smart decision. What that does is saying the Cowboys wasted time and effort building up the receiver squad. A big part of what makes the Cowboys offense what it is and so hard for defenses to defend against them is having those 3 receivers. It's impossible to double cover all three so one is going to be open. That was proven many times this season. Teams can't get into the notion that when players they draft turn out to be really good that they then trade them off before that rookie contract is up or they will forever be in a rebuilding mode.

I'd argue we actually have 3 number 1 WRs on this squad between Coop, Gallup, and CD. I think that teams like the Chargers, Dolphins, and Patriots who are in need for a WR would be willing to part with picks like that. Roy Williams, I might add, would be an example of a number 2 WR (at the time, TO was the number 1 WR) that has was traded by the Lions to us for a haul of picks. They got our 1st and 3 that trade, and Gallup is, I think it's safe to say, a MUCH better WR than Roy Williams ever was. Brandon Marshall (also a WR that I think Gallup is better than in the same point of their careers) fetched 2 2nd round picks. Percy Harvin, a number 2 WR if I recall correctly, was traded to Seattle by Minnesota for a 1 and a 3. Brandin Cooks was traded from New Orleans to New England for a 1st round pick, and was then traded to the Rams a few seasons later for another 1st round pick. I'd hardly call him a number 1 WR. So, it's not out of the realm of history or possibility for a number 2 or a weak number 1 WR to be dealt for a haul of picks.

Yes, we have 3 excellent WRs. Yes, it is nearly impossible to cover them all. However, I'd argue that if we can replace Gallup with another good WR such as Stewart, then we should. Plus, a WR like Stewart would benefit from having Coop and CD. Team's focuses would be diverted to Coop and CD, leaving Stewart plenty of one on one opportunities. If I'm Dak, I like my chances there. If I'm Stewart, I love it because it gives me the best chance to develop. If I'm Jerry, I love the fact that I can see a massive WR in the mix with 2 already excellent WRs. If I'm Stephen, I love the cost savings. As the adage in football goes, the NFL is a business. Sometimes, you have to make business decisions that you may not want to make, but can provide the best outcome for your team. Furthermore, teams do trade players before their rookie contract is up often. That's nothing new or special. Amari Cooper is an example of this along with Khalil Mack. Their rookie contracts were a year or two away from expiring. The Raiders had exercised the 5th year option on Cooper and traded him to us midseason. The usage of the 5th year option meant that we had 2 years to get a deal done to retain him, which we did of course. Khalil Mack was dealt on his rookie contract. Deforest Buckner was traded on his rookie contract to the Colts by the 49ers. Those are a few examples of players on rookie contracts that have been dealt before their contracts expired.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We are going to need to draft almost all D and draft well. We’ll need a couple defensive Free Agents to pan out, and we may need to trade some of our offensive talent for defensive help( possibly trade Gallop or 1 of our TE’s).

If it's even remotely close i'd draft defense and look to trade gallop for more picks or defensive help. I'd like to keep both TE's unless im blown away by trade.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If it's even remotely close i'd draft defense and look to trade gallop for more picks or defensive help. I'd like to keep both TE's unless im blown away by trade.

Jarwin is another player I'd look at trading. I think Schultz and Bell have made it easier to trade him. I'd see if we can move him for say a 3rd round pick. He's been a solid TE, but we need help on defence, and I think we're set at TE without him.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jarwin is another player I'd look at trading. I think Schultz and Bell have made it easier to trade him. I'd see if we can move him for say a 3rd round pick. He's been a solid TE, but we need help on defence, and I think we're set at TE without him.

I'd like to keep both in case of injury and with the idea were trading gallop. I'd like to see up use both TE's running routes to give Dak bigger endzone targets along with lamb.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'd like to keep both in case of injury and with the idea were trading gallop. I'd like to see up use both TE's running routes to give Dak bigger endzone targets along with lamb.

I may have found a way around the big target issue. Warren Stewart of Colorado State. He's 6'6" and weighs 206 lbs. He's a WR and has a projected 40 time (pre-Combine) of 4.59.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I may have found a way around the big target issue. Warren Stewart of Colorado State. He's 6'6" and weighs 206 lbs. He's a WR and has a projected 40 time (pre-Combine) of 4.59.

I'm all for it it he's got good hands. They'll help him learn routes.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
...it’s incredible how much energy goes in to analysis and angst and ideas on players, etc...but most here seem to miss the point that there is 25 years of factual evidence (not opinion) that nothing matters - be it players, coaches, schemes, draft picks, draft position, free agency signings - as long as Jerry is GM and owner. Nothing. Zero. Nada. I’m a fan since 1966 and now I watch the circus this team has become and the only thing that can matter now is how badly Jerry gets embarrassed and frustrated because football wise, this team will never sniff another championship with Jerry.

Yep, I don't know how some folks do it - "Next year Jerry will get it right!"

I lost the ability to blow that smoke up my you-know-what a few years ago. I can't delude myself anymore, so I just watch and hope while waiting for the inevitable disaster.

This place will be full of 13-3 and SB predictions again in August, like clockwork. Jerry will once-again be convinced he's got a winner. Then we'll watch, wait, and see how it goes down the toilet this time.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Nearly all turnovers are gifted to the other team. How many of Zeke's fumbles this year were forced? The one that got punched out vs Atl is the only one I remember being forced. The other were "gifted" to the other teams.
I don’t agree with that at all. I would say 75% of fumbles are forced. We got extremely lucky the last few weeks with guys just dropping the ball or fumbling the handoff.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
We're bad right up the middle, at DT and LB. Not gonna stop the run like that.
True, but when you know the other team is running you still should be able to stop them from running for a first down in 2 plays to end the game. Every defensive player needs to be within 3 yards of the LOS!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Is that your take on why this game was lost? The last series?
No. Just giving an example of how pathetic this defense really was.

Maybe, Jerry was thinking about that last series when he fired Nolan! What do you think CowboyRoy?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
i do not know if nolan was all of the problem. he really did not have anything to work with this year. hopefully the scouting department and the jones are willing to get him the players to run his system right. maybe then we will see if it is nolans fault why this ended being the worst defense in cowboys history and the league.
This defense lacked talent, but they also played stupid as hel_! This dumb defense had so many blown assignments. Consistently blowing assignments is on the players and Nolan!

Get rid of dumb players, players who lack talent, and Nolan!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
fan. lmao, I watch this train wreck and it doesn't bother me one way or the other.
:laugh:

Cowboy Fans.....

7da7e5335c811602-man-jumps-out-of-moving-train-gif-finder-find-and-share-funny.gif

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
This team sucks no doubt. Yet a get a kick out of the fans that blame Nolan for the defense when its obvious they completely suck. And then if we want to nit pick, it was the defense and the turnovers that was the big difference in the 3 game win streak. Just sayin.
Your hero, Nolan was fired! The ownership and MM thought he was at least partly responsible.