Jerry speaks on Elliott

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Pollard seems to be the only legit back on the roster other than Zeke. Chunn has been pimped as ok, but I haven’t really seen him play. Morris isn’t an acceptable substitute as a running back. If Morris is acceptable, literally anyone can run behind this line because Morris totally sucks.

So you agree with my assessment.....

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
It basically says "yes... he's already lost an accrued season....... BUT.... he can get the accrued season back if he reports by week 10.... and if thats the case..... the initial date of Aug 6 is meaningless.

reddyuta

Reaction score
this is just a cluster**** all around,Hill tweeted that we have made no new offer since weeks back but the FAN says we have upped the offer to almost match Gurleys contract.I am inclined to believe Hill more than the FAN.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry Jones on @1053thefan: We've got a marathon here. And we want Zeke when we get to the playoffs. We want Zeke when we're in the dog days of this season. As you well know you have to plan your personnel and have to manage a player, the caliber of Zeke.

— RJ Ochoa (@rjochoa) August 28, 2019
Jerry Jones Translator

We've got a marathon here.
Translation: "The season is 16 games long."

And we want Zeke when we get to the playoffs.

Translation: "Our intention is having Elliott signed before the end of the season."

We want Zeke when we're in the dog days of this season.

Translation: "However, we want Elliott to be a difference maker in pivotal games that will decide playoff seeding like divisional games, etc."

As you well know you have to plan your personnel and have to manage a player, the caliber of Zeke.

Translation: "Everyone should be well-aware negotiating towards getting a key component of the offense like Elliott back onto the field will take careful planning and implementation."

Actually, this is one of the easiest comments Jones has been quoted saying in quite a while. It is still Jerryspeak but it is pretty straightforward in context.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Jerry Jones Translator

We've got a marathon here.
Translation: "The season is 16 games long."

Translation: "Our intention is having Elliott signed before the end of the season."

We want Zeke when we're in the dog days of this season.

Translation: "However, we want Elliott to be a difference maker in pivotal games that will decide playoff seeding like divisional, etc."

As you well know you have to plan your personnel and have to manage a player, the caliber of Zeke.

Translation: "Everyone should be well-aware negotiating towards getting a key component of the offense like Elliott back onto the field will take careful planning and implementation."

Actually, this is one of the easiest comments Jones has been quoted saying in quite a while. It is still Jerryspeak but it is pretty straightforward in context.

different translation:

Translation: "He has to be back by game 11 and the playoffs are when we really need him."

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Context matters. Was this in response to a question?

Sydla

Reaction score

The headline literally says Elliott missed the deadline to accrue a season this year.

The Week 10 threshold now applies to the contract terms, I believe. In other words, if he doesn't show up by Week 10, I believe the Cowboys can then shift the 2019 contract terms to 2020 (meaning, in 2020, he wouldn't get paid the nearly $10MM on the option year - that option year gets shifted to 2021). But this doesn't affect his free agency status.

You guys are confusing contract terms with how the NFL calculates accrued seasons to then become an unrestricted FA.

Zeke only has one more chance to become an unrestricted FA in 2021. He has to show up by the league mandated date in August in 2020.

Last edited:

InTheZone

Reaction score
The team wants Zeke. They dont want to run hm into the ground if they can help it (thanks Dak!!!), they don't want to pay him the guaranteed portion he wants because RB and when you add those two they dont want to make him the highest paid. Zeke wants to be a cowboy, but he doesnt want to take a risk of getting franchised every year when the tine comes then have to settle for some rookie amount if/when the team decides to move on.

If I was zeke I would be here, but i would let the team know my intentions. If I dont get the guarantees I want...because as everyone says it'll be more expensive next time around, I'd ask the team to release me so I can pursue the right contract.

Im not speaking for zeke, but if the team is offering bell/Gurley numbers id take it. Im not holding it against him that he wants more because thats what happens to contracts every year.

Edit: as someone mentioned the other day, the cba should be set up to have less of a cap hit when dealing with your own draft picks.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its almost like he is saving Zeke for the playoffs by not giving him a contract? Instead of using an IR spot? I dont know. I just see this biting us in the you know what eventually.

I don't think he can use an IR spot for a guy who isn't injured. What would be the point anyway when Zeke still wouldn't be with the team, and the IR spot wouldn't be available for someone else?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The headline literally says Elliott missed the deadline to accrue a season.

I think you are confused......you are half right. Elliot can get his 4th accrued season in 2019 or 2020, so August 6th was a soft deadline. If he does not report by week 10, then he has to report by the deadline in 2020 to get his accrued year in order to reach UFA.

If Zeke does come back by week 10 this season without a new contract, he will get credit for an accrued year. The latest example of this was Joey Galloway in Seattle.

shabazz

Reaction score
Great, opposing defenses do not have to stack the box to stop the run... can double Cooper if required... and make Dak and the Cowboys offense really struggle to move the chains and score points.

Even when the Broncos stacked the box against us and held him to 8 yards, Rayne Dakota passed 50 time and barely had over 200 yards. or to put it simply, stacking the box is irrelevant with an elite quarterback. Brady and the elites play with am empty backfield and move the chains at will. Can We????..... not so much