Jerry still the biggest problem

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Jerry doesn’t play the game on the field. It’s easy to still root for the players and team while despising our owner

Same here. When Jerry fired Landry a lot of Cowboys fans here quit being fans, but we don't watch Jerry run the ball, throw passes, etc...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I liked Zimmer for sure. You got that one right. Newman? He is a good corner, but he wasnt worth the 5th pick. In that regard he was a disappointment. But like most good players, they rot here in Dallas because of the coaching.

Like you with Garrett, I was a Wade defender. Not a supporter, but a defender. Not quite to the extent that you are with Garrett. My opinion was that people didnt give him enough credit for being a solid coach. Now I didnt want him as our coach, I wanted him fired, but he was a great DC and a mild coach. I caught a lot of flack for that as you did. But Garrett is much much worse. And the blind eye you turn shows a severe lack of caring for this football team.

AS far as being right, that time has long past. Garrett has been here for 10 years and has proven time and time again that he is wanton when it comes to coaching. He is sub standard. So what are you hoping for? That maybe one day we get lucky? Or that Jones finally puts together a roster so much better than everyone else that we win in spite of Garrett? If Garrett does something spectacular or he all of a sudden becomes a good coach, I will be the first to congratulate him and acknowledge. It almost appeared that he had gained some momentum when he continued to play Dak and kept Romo on the bench. It even appeared that they had changed the offense to suit Dak and were bringing him along well. All for it to fall apart at the end of they year in the playoffs with the horrid decisions he made. Then of course last year was a complete travesty as far as Garrett, Jones and the lack of adjustments or coaching.

You have already been proven dead wrong on Garrett. Anything now is just stubborn foolishness.

We don't need to go round and round on the disagreement with Garrett. He's already proven to be a pretty good coach. The question now is whether or not he can get the team over the hump in the playoffs.

Newman has played for, what, 16 years and gone to two probowls? He was worth his draft pick by any measure. But the Newman argument here was about whether or not he was 'done' as a player when he left Dallas. He wasn't.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The problem with Garrett is that, to me, I would like to see something in games where he seems to actually make a decision, other that putting up one finger for the extra point after touchdowns. I am open to the possibility he does all of his work during the week in meetings, etc. and lets his assistant coaches run the nuts and bolts of the game, which is the way most coaches do it. Landry called offense and defense in games, but that is conspicuous by its presence.

For example in one playoff game during Jimmy's tenure the other team was driving the ball down the field, and Jimmy went to Wannstadt (if memory serves) and yelled to him "I want a blitz, and I want it NOW" A blitz was called and the drive was stopped. All we see Garrett do is stand and watch the plays, maybe congratulate a player on a good play.

There are all kind of coaching styles, Madden was a real ball of fire on the sidelines, but got an ulcer and had to quit coaching, as some reported. Landry showed little emotion most of the time, that was his personality/style, and it worked. Belichick is about the same, and he's won 5 SBs. So not being emotional on the sidelines can work, doesn't mean he's not involved.

Since I don't know how much Garrett is involved with on-the-field decisions, I have to judge him based on results. 1-2 playoff record, and those 3 games in 10 years. Not running the ball when it was clearly the best play. Poor clock management. Rushing 3 players against Rodgers with the game on the line.

Sure he's had some good seasons, and if he had a lot to do with Dak's great first year, that's a good sign.

But I don't see he's proven to be a good coach, if by good someone means he doesn't go 0-16 or 4-12 year after year, then yes he is. I place him as a mediocre head coach at this time, if he's here a few more years and the team improves to being a SB contender several years in a row or wins a number of playoff games, then I'll gladly say I was wrong...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We don't need to go round and round on the disagreement with Garrett. He's already proven to be a pretty good coach. The question now is whether or not he can get the team over the hump in the playoffs.

Newman has played for, what, 16 years and gone to two probowls? He was worth his draft pick by any measure. But the Newman argument here was about whether or not he was 'done' as a player when he left Dallas. He wasn't.

No he hasnt. He has proven to be a mediocre coach at best. A coach that lacks foresight, accountability, discipline, authority, creativity, power, the ability to adjust, to gameplan, to game manage, and regulate the clock and the flow of the football game. If your referring to the two years we actually had a playoff game, then you could say that about many many coaches. There is NOTHING that separates Garrett from your run of the mill head coach.

With the talent that we have had here in Dallas over his tenure, and the luck of having two franchise type QB's leading the team, he has done very little. His teams have underperformed on nearly EVERY occasion. Even the playoff teams lost when they should have won.

What was that stat? In 7 win or go home games at the end of the season Garrett is 0-7? They guy simply gets out coached when the stakes are on the line and the teams are closely matched.

As far as Newman, he turned out to be a better player elsewhere then here. Like most players that leave Dallas. But for my money, this guy was supposed to be the next great corner. Ball hawker. He wasnt. Didnt know he actually made the pro bowl. As a replacement?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
None of that means anything! Improving every team in the league is a constant cycle. Unless teams are having some type of consistent success they move on.. look to improve!! You should see what you needed to see in 8 years when all you do is choke! It’s not about the Super Bowl race or just measuring a coach on championships. It’s about being consistent playoff participants. Get there, win a few, show some type of improvement. The window is open way too wide for nothing. Sue me cause I want to see a confident consistent playoff team, not the sad Garrett version we been watching for over a decade!!

So first people blaming Garrett for not winning Super Bowls. Now it's not just championships but just making the playoffs regularly. Now injuries to key players really doesn't matter at all and the fact that Garrett coaches what players he has to work with. Lets see, Garrett took over in 2010 after 6 losses and the Cowboys finished at 6-10. The a first time head coach did have 3 8-8 seasons but even outsiders that had gotten some access to the Cowboys said the culture was changing in Dallas. The in 2014 Garret got the Cowboys to 12-4 and the playoffs that saw the defense give up the lead in the 4th quarter to lose in the divisional round to the peckers in a game where a catch that then was ruled a non-catch but now they say it really was a catch which would have made the peckers have to score a TD to win and not just a field goal. Then the Cowboys lost Romo for almost the entire 2015 season and the Cowboys went 4-12 but I guess losing the best player who just happens to be your QB had nothing to do with that. Then in 2016 the Cowboys had the best record in the league with a rookie QB and RB and again in the divisional round against the peckers the defense once again failed to protect a lead and allowed the peckers to move down the field in under a minute with no time outs and kick a winning field goal. And then last season where 3 of the Cowboys top 5 players on the Cowboys including their All Pro LT, the leagues leading rusher from 2016 and the heart and soul of the defense Lee all missed significant time and the Cowboys missed the playoff by 1 game. Now during this time there had been no players or coaches that suggested in any way that there was a problem with the coaching, in fact several players sating it was their fault for the lack of success. Lastly you need look up how long a decade is seeing this is just Garrett's 8 season as head coach.

Big_D

Reaction score
So first people blaming Garrett for not winning Super Bowls. Now it's not just championships but just making the playoffs regularly. Now injuries to key players really doesn't matter at all and the fact that Garrett coaches what players he has to work with. Lets see, Garrett took over in 2010 after 6 losses and the Cowboys finished at 6-10. The a first time head coach did have 3 8-8 seasons but even outsiders that had gotten some access to the Cowboys said the culture was changing in Dallas. The in 2014 Garret got the Cowboys to 12-4 and the playoffs that saw the defense give up the lead in the 4th quarter to lose in the divisional round to the peckers in a game where a catch that then was ruled a non-catch but now they say it really was a catch which would have made the peckers have to score a TD to win and not just a field goal. Then the Cowboys lost Romo for almost the entire 2015 season and the Cowboys went 4-12 but I guess losing the best player who just happens to be your QB had nothing to do with that. Then in 2016 the Cowboys had the best record in the league with a rookie QB and RB and again in the divisional round against the peckers the defense once again failed to protect a lead and allowed the peckers to move down the field in under a minute with no time outs and kick a winning field goal. And then last season where 3 of the Cowboys top 5 players on the Cowboys including their All Pro LT, the leagues leading rusher from 2016 and the heart and soul of the defense Lee all missed significant time and the Cowboys missed the playoff by 1 game. Now during this time there had been no players or coaches that suggested in any way that there was a problem with the coaching, in fact several players sating it was their fault for the lack of success. Lastly you need look up how long a decade is seeing this is just Garrett's 8 season as head coach.

One huge paragraph of excuses. Garrett’s s been here 11. Was the assistant HC in charge of the offense, his routine blunders and crap run game still existed then and was just as much part of the problem. The offense was better and more balanced before he even got here! My math is right on, it’s your memory that’s off. I guess it was all wades fault back then? lol not ‘the future’ of the franchise?

kskboys

Reaction score
One huge paragraph of excuses. Garrett’s s been here 11. Was the assistant HC in charge of the offense, his routine blunders and crap run game still existed then and was just as much part of the problem. The offense was better and more balanced before he even got here! My math is right on, it’s your memory that’s off. I guess it was all wades fault back then? lol not ‘the future’ of the franchise?
You are what your record says you are.

I had no idea just how true that statement was when Ol' Tuna stated it. Now, I really couldn't stand the guy, but he did build a nice team and made no excuses.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Here's the huge flaw in your logic. You want to blame Garrett when he wasn't the head coach in stead of the actual head coach and at the same time you want to blame Garrett as the head coach when coordinators called plays both on offense and defense. In other words you just want to blame Garrett and won't use the same criteria for other head coaches during that 11 year period. All you've done is proved you're nothing but a Garret hater and real logic doesn't enter into your thinking.

Big_D

Reaction score
Here's the huge flaw in your logic. You want to blame Garrett when he wasn't the head coach in stead of the actual head coach and at the same time you want to blame Garrett as the head coach when coordinators called plays both on offense and defense. In other words you just want to blame Garrett and won't use the same criteria for other head coaches during that 11 year period. All you've done is proved you're nothing but a Garret hater and real logic doesn't enter into your thinking.

lol. Of course I don’t like him, it was a moronic coaching decision back in 2007 and that hasn’t changed in 2018. He’s in charge of the offense, he controlled the tempo of the football game. The setup was made pretty clear when he was hired before the actual HC. Now today’s coordinators answer to him. That wasn’t the case back then. Wade was a scapegoat and a glorified DC. Your complacency is sad really! The past 10 years were supposed to be the up years! But instead some fans are thrilled with participation trophies. Next to the Colts this is the worst 2nd half team in football. No real surprise there. It’s exactly what some have come to expect. While others are still waiting on that Garrett magic!

Big_D

Reaction score
You are what your record says you are.

I had no idea just how true that statement was when Ol' Tuna stated it. Now, I really couldn't stand the guy, but he did build a nice team and made no excuses.

Tuna had a lot on his plate in 4 years. He got a 300 team that Jerry screwed up pretty good.

GMO415

Reaction score
clipart-beating-a-dead-horse-10.jpg

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
lol. Of course I don’t like him, it was a moronic coaching decision back in 2007 and that hasn’t changed in 2018. He’s in charge of the offense, he controlled the tempo of the football game. The setup was made pretty clear when he was hired before the actual HC. Now today’s coordinators answer to him. That wasn’t the case back then. Wade was a scapegoat and a glorified DC. Your complacency is sad really! The past 10 years were supposed to be the up years! But instead some fans are thrilled with participation trophies. Next to the Colts this is the worst 2nd half team in football. No real surprise there. It’s exactly what some have come to expect. While others are still waiting on that Garrett magic!

Your Garrett hatred has really made you delusional if you think that Garrett as well all the rest of the coaches didn't have to answer to Phillips. Again you want to blame Garrett as a coordinator and not Phillips and then blame Garrett after he became head coach but not the coordinators. And you don't think EVERYONE sees right through that? Hey if you want to hate Garrett knock your socks off but that won't change what the real facts are that you just don't see because of your hatred.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
None of that means anything! Improving every team in the league is a constant cycle. Unless teams are having some type of consistent success they move on.. look to improve!! You should see what you needed to see in 8 years when all you do is choke! It’s not about the Super Bowl race or just measuring a coach on championships. It’s about being consistent playoff participants. Get there, win a few, show some type of improvement. The window is open way too wide for nothing. Sue me cause I want to see a confident consistent playoff team, not the sad Garrett version we been watching for over a decade!!

Exactly! We need to always be improving. We have a young QB, elite RB, and a solid Oline (that could use an upgrade at LG in the draft). We need to build around that, and we need competent coaching.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Let's rephrase it this way. How many years has Doug Peterson been a Head Coach? How about Garrett? Any questions?