Jerry: Tony Romo will return at some point near the end of the year at the latest

JJHLH1

Reaction score
What a great situation to be in. Hypothetical here, Dak is having a game like Sunday's in the playoffs, and you spell him with Romo. Couldn't ask for a better situation.

If Dak has a game like Sunday's in the playoffs why would you spell him? He rallied the team from a 10 point 4th quarter deficit to a win against a pretty formidable defense. I'm not sure Romo still has that capability. It's best not to risk it. That probably one of the reasons Jerry made his comments today.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I don't buy this, btw. This team can win with either of these QBs. The more Dak plays, the more he sees and the more opportunity he's got to improve.

Putting Tony in could very well be a decent upgrade at the most important position on the field. It's possible he's rusty or has lost his edge. It's also possible he rises to the challenge and comes back even better than he was before he got pushed. Either way, if he's not better, there's nothing to say we can't go back to Dak.

The whole jeopardy angle gets built around the mythical idea that playing Tony Romo somehow is a threat to the team's momentum. One, I don't buy that this team wouldn't happily play behind either of these QBs. Two, that's just not how momentum works on teams from my experience. Executing well gets wins. Winning gets 'momentum.' Executing well also breeds confidence. People think it's the momentum that breeds the confidence, but both momentum and confidence are by-products of executing well. As long as either Dak or Tony can consistently execute well, we're good and there's really nothing to worry about.

If we want to worry about something, we should worry about what we do when we play a team that also has a good offense and can pressure the QB. Somehow, miraculously, there appears to be a dramatic shortage of such teams in the NFC right now, but it won't stay that way. Somebody's going to get hot for a late season run, or somebodies. They always do.

I don't see anything you've said that contradicts my point. The more you play, the better you execute. You don't execute well from the bench. Tony Romo isn't going to be the same quarterback in Week 5 that he is in Week 10. Dak isn't going to be the same quarterback in Week 1 that he is in Week 10.

Furthermore, even if Dak is doing great, he can learn more. In the playoffs, Dak is going to see different defenses, different looks. Whether he can absorb them and make the right decision or whether he won't is still an open question.

The question, however, is whether either will have the experience they need to take this team to the next level this year. Except for the perfect scenario, one quarterback is going to be slighted at the expense of the other.

mrmojo

Reaction score
I can't imagine a worse scenario than for Romo to finally win a ring on the bench if he's healthy and never played in a game .

Do we really want to win a championship like that?
Heck yeah, SBs just dont suddenly happen, been over 20 yrs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm sure the locker room doesn't care. It just feeds forums and social media. It's what we do . Play Monday Morning QB.

Say what you will about Romo but he has fueled forums and social media for decade. His controversy is going to be sorely missed . There might even be layoffs. Lol

Zordon

Reaction score
This is stupid. Dak is a rookie. He isn't leading anyone. Does he inspire people, energize them with his youth? Sure. But he isn't leading any veteran player. I am sure they are having to correct him more than he has to do any "leading".
The team isn't stupid. They know that Dak is a game manager getting credit for most of their hard work. They are not going to be upset putting in a far superior player. Only the media believes in "chemistry". The team just wants to win.
You've obviously never been in a locker room. Nitpick all you want with the word, he's one of the leaders on the team. Maybe not the vets but for the other young players. A quarterback getting pulled after leading the team to the #1 seed would be unprecedented and we would be the laughing stock of the world. I don't give a crap if Romo is the superior player, you can't just plug and play a player at the end of the season and expect him to return to his form from 2 years ago. Carolina game last year was proof of that. Unless Dak has a deer in the headlights moment the next 2-3 games, Romo is done for the year. Just deal with it.

romothesavior

Reaction score
I'm fine with this. I want Romo back, but not until he is 100% physically ready. There is zero reason to rush him back like there was last year.

Romo probably needs another month in the weight room and practicing to get back up to speed, get used to taking hits, etc. In the meantime, Dak will continue to keep this team competitive.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Jerry just said about romo on the fan that he might be able to go at the end of the year.

That means no Romo this season. So all you people that have hated him since he took over and have blamed everything on him now have gotten their wish, Tony Romo is no longer your quarterback.

I think this sucks personally.
Romo will return when we are ahead by 35 points and when the starter needs a sidelines shoulders rub by Garrett.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Heck yeah, SBs just dont suddenly happen, been over 20 yrs.
Arent you concerned the effects it will have on the Romo legacy if Dak was to win in his first year or two?

What if Dak even led us to a championship appearance something Romo never did?

Can you even imagine the talk ?OMG

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I'm fine with this. I want Romo back, but not until he is 100% physically ready. There is zero reason to rush him back like there was last year.

Romo probably needs another month in the weight room and practicing to get back up to speed, get used to taking hits, etc. In the meantime, Dak will continue to keep this team competitive.
Yes, no need to rush. 37 years of age is just a state of mind.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
1. The chemistry thing is a non-issue. Romo has just as much, and probably more chemistry with these guys. Is the offense line and Zeke going to not block or run all of the sudden? And who gives a crap about being second-guessed? If the team is afraid of that, then they're already screwed.

Chemistry isn't a constant; neither is it exactly quantifiable. Romo can establish chemistry with the team, but that's not necessarily a certainty. Besides, chemistry goes beyond just completing passes to receivers. It's a flow, a connection that impacts the entire team. Dak has that with this offense now. Romo may be able to establish it, but we don't know.

4. I think the Philly game is a great game to judge by. He was finally put into difficult situations by the opposing team (first time since NY) and it was bad. It's not that he had a bad game, it's the way it was bad. He looked like a deer in headlights that was overwhelmed and couldn't think straight, let alone well. Add to that, his accuracy was troubling, to say the least. He still has a long way to go. I'm not convinced he looks like the future just yet.

So are you also judging the fact that he shook off his bad start and led the team to a victory in overtime?

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I can't imagine a worse scenario than for Romo to finally win a ring on the bench if he's healthy and never played in a game .

Do we really want to win a championship like that?
I sure wouldn't want to win a SB if Tony was on the bench. I would be rooting for the Cowboys to lose in the first playoff game, than bring another Lombardi to Dallas and see the the team celebrating in a downtown parade. That would be horrible. I would root against the Cowboys if they made it to the SB and Tony was on the bench. How could anyone think about wanting the Cowboys to win a SB?

Here's an idea, be a fan of the team. Root for them to win the SB, regardless of who is playing.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I disagree. For discussion sake, remove Prescott and Romo from the equation. Let's take this from a team sports perspective--the sport of football in this instance.

A coaching staff implement gameplans. The players execute the schemes. 11 guys playing well on defense. Special teams play is good enough.

Turn to the offense. Offensive line does well pass blocking--perhaps blocks somewhat better on run plays. Receivers (including tight end) are getting open and catching passes consistently. Running back's carrying the ball lights out, tops in the league.

There are two quarterbacks. Both quarterbacks have demonstrated they can excel in the same offensive scheme. The variable of the equation? One quarterback is substituted for the other.

A disruption of chemistry is not sound in my opinion based solely on the substitution since any real potential problem does not hinge upon inner or outer perceptions. Any real problem with chemistry centers upon the play on the field. I would agree upon a disruption in chemistry if there were personalities involved intentionally or unintentionally working counter to player focus but my impression has been that everyone owns the correct attitude towards doing their individual jobs to the best of their abilities.

It's still football. The variable involved is too integrated, nondisruptive, and highly motivated to negatively impact real team chemistry on the field. Just my opinion though.

I appreciate your opinion. We don't really know what will happen if Romo reassumes the starting position. Maybe the chemistry involves going with the plays that are called from the sidelines as opposed to changing them. Maybe the chemistry involves having to guard against Dak's dual threat of run or pass on top of dealing with Zeke and Dez and Witten compared to not worrying about Romo being a runner.

I don't know. That's why I said chemistry is an intangible factor even if it is made up of tangible components.

I guess that's why they say if you have a good thing going, don't mess with it.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
He has made it known repeatedly they he will not play anywhere else. He just built a mansion. He will get released and then probably retire.
He can always stay in an apartment in another NFL city and then come home to his Dallas mansion in the off season.........Enough $$$$$$$$ thrown his way by another NFL team will tempt him to do just that...jmo.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
If Romo were ready to play, now would be the time to make the switch. Even though he was very good late, Dak had a bad game overall. So as a coach, you could point to that performance and bring back the starter. It's a win-win, because you didn't have to suffer a loss to get the bad performance that justifies the switch.

But Jerry is making it sound like they're talking about a lot of things that don't relate directly to Romo's health when considering the situation.

csirl

Reaction score
Furthermore, even if Dak is doing great, he can learn more. In the playoffs, Dak is going to see different defenses, different looks.

This is a myth. In a league with such narrow margins between success and failure coaches don't hold back anything for the playoffs. They may try something different because they've become predictable over the course of the regular, but different doesn't mean better.

Animosity

Reaction score
You risk friction if you don't put Romo in at the end of the season if you are playing a rookie QB and have a Pro Bowl QB that has won playoff games before. It cuts both ways.

Is that QB Sanchez you are talking about?

2 playoff wins in 10 years is not impressive.