Jerry: Tony Romo will return at some point near the end of the year at the latest

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Really?

That really sucks man.... That isn't how I wanted this to go... So he isn't healthy and it is worse then they thought?

I was really hoping to see Romo again. I wonder if the team has known for awhile that Romo was done physically.

He's healthy. This is already how I knew this would go. If Dak keeps winning, they will keep telling us the injury is worse than they thought. They would never come out and just tell us Romo lost his job to Dak. They won't do him like that. This season will play out with Dak as the starter and I suspect Romo will be starting for a new team in 2017.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Someone needs to talk this Theebes person off the ledge. I can't interpret Jerry speak so I have no idea what he said. Wouldn't be surprised if we see Romo dressed out after thanksgiving.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Jerry just said about romo on the fan that he might be able to go at the end of the year.

That means no Romo this season. So all you people that have hated him since he took over and have blamed everything on him now have gotten their wish, Tony Romo is no longer your quarterback.

I think this sucks personally.

Oh well 6-1.

Btw-I don't see where Jerry said he wouldn't be back, that is just you speculating.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Jerry just said about romo on the fan that he might be able to go at the end of the year.

That means no Romo this season. So all you people that have hated him since he took over and have blamed everything on him now have gotten their wish, Tony Romo is no longer your quarterback.

I think this sucks personally.

Again, Theebs, it's not THAT many people who hate Tony and if they do they get exposed pretty easily because they have absolutely no viable positions to take, thus forcing them to the worst, most unknowledgeable argument in team sports - Super Bowls.

Those people think Brady could win Super Bowls with the Browns, Titans and Rams by falling out of bed, then we shake our heads and laugh because it's so ridicules.

The majority of the fan base gets Romo and although are excited by the future, disappointed for him. Heck, most of the same fan base turned on Troy at the end, it's the nature of fandom. The fans actually ran Meredith into retirement when he gave his heart and soul and suffered some crushing losses. Was it his fault the defense couldn't stop the Packers on the last drive of the Ice Bowl?

Roger is really the the only unscathed Dallas quarterback in history.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I want Tony to get a shot with this team. And I am happy we are winning.

If this was last year Romo would be playing already. We have the luxury to ease him back in. He has gotten in exactly 1 limited practice while also not having a preseason. Us going slowly with him is perhaps the best case scenario. When he is getting in full practices back to back that is when the pressure will be on management to clarify their stance.

Romo is a highly paid individual and while I want to see him have success on the field, I won't cry him a river if this is it. He had a remarkable run as an UDFA. Deep inside me though I want the Cinderella story for him.

I'm going to enjoy the ride regardless. Fun season outside of Romo going down.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
He has made it known repeatedly they he will not play anywhere else. He just built a mansion. He will get released and then probably retire.

And I'm sure he meant it, but he also said he wanted to play for ten more years and that he was playing his best football just this past off-season. The landscape has changed completely while Romo was rehabilitating.

I'd love it if he restructures to stay in Dallas, but if they decide to give the reigns to Dak this offseason and a team like Denver or the Jets come knocking then Tony the competitor might just overrule Tony the Cowboy for life.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, Theebs, it's not THAT many people who hate Tony and if they do they get exposed pretty easily because they have absolutely no viable positions to take, thus forcing them to the worst, most unknowledgeable argument in team sports - Super Bowls.
It is always pretty funny how often that fallacy is used as a discussion tactic regardless of who the quarterbacks are in question.

csirl

Reaction score
There's no way Romo is being held out of practice and is not kitting up just to take the heat out of QB speculation. Any starting QB is potentially only one play away from a season ending injury. It would take 2-3 weeks of full participation in practice to get Romo game ready. If he was healthy he'd be practicing. Its clear the injury isnt healed yet - Sanchez will be playing if Dak went down in the immediate future.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
They almost fell off this weekend, it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Tony was ready to play and Dak was playing the way he was in the first 2 1/2 qtrs.

Basically how big of a leash does Dak have with a healthy Tony on the sideline.

I am not sure I know the answer, but I bet at some point we find out.

Heh, I find it funny how this keeps getting shorter and shorter.

Dak played bad through the entirety of 4 quarters with brief moments of good play.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
He's healthy. This is already how I knew this would go. If Dak keeps winning, they will keep telling us the injury is worse than they thought. They would never come out and just tell us Romo lost his job to Dak. They won't do him like that. This season will play out with Dak as the starter and I suspect Romo will be starting for a new team in 2017.
If he was healthy he'd be dressed. He's yet to practice at this point.

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
You think they'd pay him 24 million to not even dress out, just to avoid controversy?
What if Dak got injured? They'd prefer to have Sanchez as a backup for the rest of the game, and risk a loss, just to avoid controversy?

This type of rationale completely voids the use of common sense. If Romo was ready, he'd dress out. Dak has bought him more recovery time, that's all. Don't think too hard about this.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You think they'd pay him 24 million to not even dress out, just to avoid controversy?
What if Dak got injured? They'd prefer to have Sanchez as a backup for the rest of the game, and risk a loss, just to avoid controversy?

This type of rationale completely voids the use of common sense. If Romo was ready, he'd dress out. Dak has bought him more recovery time, that's all. Don't think too hard about this.

I agree. Right now Romo has been working scout team as he is getting himself back into shape. No matter what the Cowboys do there is going to be some fans unhappy about it. Myself I am a big Romo fan and when or if he returns to the starting lineup I will back him all the way. Right now Dak is the QB and is doing a good job for the Cowboys so much so that this team is the top team in the NFC and this despite not having a great defense.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The Cowboys have a problem on their hands, and it's not necessarily good.

Here's the deal:

1. The Cowboys CAN'T pull Dak while the team is still winning. You affect chemistry and set up a scenario where the organization will be second-guessed and Romo will be second-guessed if we should lose anywhere on our journey toward the Super Bowl.

2. At some point, Romo has to get live reps if he's healthy. The longer you put that off, the more difficult it becomes to either put him in and/or give him a chance to knock the rust off.

3. As one poster has said, the playoffs is a different animal than the regular season. Dak is going to see some defenses he hasn't seen in the regular season. Assuming this overwhelms him, you don't want to have Tony Romo come in rusty trying to win for you - particularly when he's returning from an injury, albeit healthy at the time he is ready to play.

4. Unless there's MAJOR regression, you don't take Dak out. No, the Philly game would not have been the game to judge whether Dak is still worthy of the starting quarterback role. That would have done more to shatter his confidence than anything. You can't simply pull the hook on your quarterback just because he has a bad game. And Dak appears to be the future, so you definitely don't want to do that to him.

So what's the solution? Wrap up the No. 1 seed with three to two games left. Then you give Dak some playing time the first half, and you insert Romo in the second half of "meaningless" games. You evaluate both Dak and Romo to determine, for the former, if he, indeed, is mentally ready for the playoffs and, for the later, whether he has sufficiently shaken off the rust and has reestablished his own chemistry with the team.

It may be a good situation to have both Dak and Romo available, but it's definitely a delicate situation which could have disastrous consequences and potentially ruin the season.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Oh, Jerry. I'm sure he knows, "...some point at the end of the year at the latest" is essentially meaningless. It doesn't really even exclude the Browns game.