News: Jerry, we never been better at Safety

fivetwos

Reaction score
All respect to Waters/Harris...and senile Jerry....

I'm gonna go with 1993.....Woodson, Everett, Washington, Marion, Gant.

But I realize that Jerry actually meant 'we don't stink as badly at S as we have for the last 15 years.'

fredp22

Reaction score
defense is the strength of this team and playing well as a group under Quinn. Best safeties ever?, no but why fight the comment. I'd tell Jerry I agree and hes doing a great job for as long as he continues to let Quinn run them while remaining a reasonable distance away

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We’ve certainly improved at S, but….”never been better”? I think our HOF and ROH safeties might have something to say about that. Cliff Harris, Cornell Green, Darren Woodson. Our current safeties have a ways to go before being able to say, “we’ve never been better”.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
*cough* Darren Woodson *cough

Yeah I would take any of three combos featuring Woodson over this bunch..

'93 Darren Woodson/Thomas Everitt/James Washington
'95 Darren Woodson/George Teague/Brock Marion
'04 Darren Woodson/Roy Williams/Watkins?

Any of these would be better than what we currently have. But Jerry may be talking about the depth. I don't know that our #3-5 have ever been any better than this group.. at least on paper.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
We’ve certainly improved at S, but….”never been better”? I think our HOF and ROH safeties might have something to say about that. Cliff Harris, Cornell Green, Darren Woodson. Our current safeties have a ways to go before being able to say, “we’ve never been better”.

Well to be fair I think when Jerry says "WE" have never been better he's referring to the years that he has owned the team. It goes without saying he had nothing to do with the guys before 1989 so they would not be part of "we" in this instance.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well to be fair I think when Jerry says "WE" have never been better he's referring to the years that he has owned the team. It goes without saying he had nothing to do with the guys before 1989 so they would not be part of "we" in this instance.
Darren Woodson? Drafted in 92.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/jones-we-ve-never-been-better-at-safety

Have to agree with him, this is the best I felt about the S position for a very long time.

Man, if Hooker can be a ball hawk like he was at OSU, and Diggs continues his ball hawk ways.
This could be a fun defense to watch.
If the pass rush is there, it can create these turnovers.
If the secondary does their job in coverage, it can create sacks for the DL.

Just need to see how the run defense improves. From PS games with backups that had looked far better than past PS games.

All about the run defense. With the offense looking like its not going to run well and big leads looking like they wont come as often, teams are going to be running the ball.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah I would take any of three combos featuring Woodson over this bunch..

'93 Darren Woodson/Thomas Everitt/James Washington
'95 Darren Woodson/George Teague/Brock Marion
'04 Darren Woodson/Roy Williams/Watkins?

Any of these would be better than what we currently have. But Jerry may be talking about the depth. I don't know that our #3-5 have ever been any better than this group.. at least on paper.
not really because yes Woodson is what made that group string take him away and its not the same..but Jerry was NOT going back that far more like RECENT years where fans keep shaming them on the safety group. so as group say going back 10 years , name one with more potential? heck lets go full DB room. when the last time those DBs had DL , i mean on defense this might be the most talent all in the same year on that side of the ball.

fans lime to forget how it all works as one and if you have weak points, it effects the back end especially no pass rush or no strong DL play.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/jones-we-ve-never-been-better-at-safety

Have to agree with him, this is the best I felt about the S position for a very long time.

Man, if Hooker can be a ball hawk like he was at OSU, and Diggs continues his ball hawk ways.
This could be a fun defense to watch.
If the pass rush is there, it can create these turnovers.
If the secondary does their job in coverage, it can create sacks for the DL.

Just need to see how the run defense improves. From PS games with backups that had looked far better than past PS games.

It would be very difficult to be better than Darren Woodson paired with anybody.

Roy Oklahoma Williams was really good his 1st couple of seasons.