News: Jerry, we never been better at Safety

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/jones-we-ve-never-been-better-at-safety

Have to agree with him, this is the best I felt about the S position for a very long time.

Man, if Hooker can be a ball hawk like he was at OSU, and Diggs continues his ball hawk ways.
This could be a fun defense to watch.
If the pass rush is there, it can create these turnovers.
If the secondary does their job in coverage, it can create sacks for the DL.

Just need to see how the run defense improves. From PS games with backups that had looked far better than past PS games.
Diggs style is very dependent on a good FS.
- Diggs style is built into Dan Quinn's scheme. It's not Diggs just freelancing.
- Diggs always knows where the help defender should be located.
- Last season, FS Kazee was most often in the correct position, but couldn't make a play on the ball.
- Most of those ended up being counted against Diggs by PFF and others, but Diggs most often played it the way Dan Quinn expected him to play it.
- Allowing Diggs to play that style as part of the scheme, meant that the FS often rolled to Diggs side.
- That put CB Brown in man coverage with no help.
- If Hooker can make those plays that Kazee couldn't make, then the secondary is going to be really good.

This preseason we saw that Quinn had CB Wright attempting to play the Diggs style.
- Wright showed very good awareness of playing within the scheme, but his timing was off.
- I do think his issues were exaggerated because the refs were calling PI very tight this preseason ("point of emphasis").

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Darren Woodson was one of my all-time favorite players. Nobody could take over a defensive backfield the way he could.

Jerry may have had a reasonably accurate point if he had said we have one the best backfield depths we've ever had. ;)

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I knew this would get the usual negativity and about the past.
We have the worst fans.
The "worst fans" would be the ones that sit back, keep quiet, and "rah rah" about the failure of their team thinking that things will be different when everything has stayed the same.

You're not a bad fan for wanting success. You're a bad fan for enabling failure.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
He wasn't talking about that far back. But hate away.

Of course he did. He explicit cited them.

"We've never had better players, all told, better players," Jones said, proudly. "Don't take anything away from Darren Woodson or Roy Williams, but in general, at the position, we've never been in better shape."

You should read articles and get yourself some insight before you accuse someone in such a harsh way!
Remember just because you shout the loudest doesnt make your point right.

JJ talks a lot of crap and doesnt care about football.He just wants to stay in the conversation to sell his product.
He is an owner fans can only be ashamed of. And that again is shown by such a comment. Dont title anybody a hater just because he cites JJ and judges him by his comments.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think safety has never been as deep with quality players. I clearly do not see the safety position as a weakness but more of a strength on the defense. That is a big change from the recent past.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Diggs style is very dependent on a good FS.
- Diggs style is built into Dan Quinn's scheme. It's not Diggs just freelancing.
- Diggs always knows where the help defender should be located.
- Last season, FS Kazee was most often in the correct position, but couldn't make a play on the ball.
- Most of those ended up being counted against Diggs by PFF and others, but Diggs most often played it the way Dan Quinn expected him to play it.
- Allowing Diggs to play that style as part of the scheme, meant that the FS often rolled to Diggs side.
- That put CB Brown in man coverage with no help.
- If Hooker can make those plays that Kazee couldn't make, then the secondary is going to be really good.

This preseason we saw that Quinn had CB Wright attempting to play the Diggs style.
- Wright showed very good awareness of playing within the scheme, but his timing was off.
- I do think his issues were exaggerated because the refs were calling PI very tight this preseason ("point of emphasis").

Wright has small areas quickness problems and is clumsy when the ball is in the air and he is trailing. He would probably be better at safety.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Ummm.

"We've never had better players, all told, better players," Jones said, proudly. "Don't take anything away from Darren Woodson or Roy Williams, but in general, at the position, we've never been in better shape."

Looks like he was going that far back. If he would just keep his mouth shut. He wouldnt have to keep backtracking and fixing what he shouldnt be saying in the first place. Speaking to positions and coaching duties is the job of. You guessed it. The HC.

I think the usual few people here rushing to insult fans didn't bother to look that far into the conversation.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
He’s trying to mentally empower at the position so they believe they are HOF caliber players. We’ll see if it works.

He’s done it quite a few times in the past and we know the results, or lack thereof.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Another dumb statement by Jerry. Our safeties were a huge strength in the 90’s. Woody, Washington, Brock Marion, George Teague, Bates, The Shark….etc.