News: Jerry, we never been better at Safety

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another dumb statement by Jerry. Our safeties were a huge strength in the 90’s. Woody, Washington, Brock Marion, George Teague, Bates, The Shark….etc.

So it is ok to use 30 years ago against Jerry for this. But it is not ok to say he sucked for the past 27 years, discounting the 3 SB's 30 years ago.
OK, got it.
Not directed at you, but just a general statement for all those bringing up players from years ago.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
So it is ok to use 30 years ago against Jerry for this. But it is not ok to say he sucked for the past 27 years, discounting the 3 SB's 30 years ago.
OK, got it.
Not directed at you, but just a general statement for all those bringing up players from years ago.

wow what a passive aggressive response.

phildadon86

Reaction score
OK, got it.
Yes it is. If I performed my job well for 3 out of 30 years. I wouldnt have a job.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes it is. If I performed my job well for 3 out of 30 years. I wouldnt have a job.

You sure about that. I seen many people do nothing for years and still had a job. :laugh:

Just as I seen people bust their butts for years, then was let go.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wright has small areas quickness problems and is clumsy when the ball is in the air and he is trailing. He would probably be better at safety.
He would not be a fit at CB in many schemes; however, in Dan Quinn's scheme, it is possible that he could develop into a serviceable CB.

Diggs and Richard Sherman would not have had as much success in some schemes.

Sherman himself said that he would have failed if forced to play a tradition style.
- He used Darrelle Revis as the example of playing a tradition CB style at a high level.

Having said that, I did have the thought a few times this preseason that Wright could play Safety.
- It sometimes appears that Mukuamu and Wright should swap positions.
- Mukuamu played the majority of his college games at CB & he looked very "Cornerback-ish" in coverage this preseason.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Thats the point I was making lol.

I know.. but let's be fair.. Jerry has not failed completely for 30 years. The Cowboys have fielded some very good teams over that span..

The '98-'99 teams were both really good but victims of horrible luck. I really think that '99 team had a championship run it in until Mike went down.
The 2006 team was built the right way and was ready to do thangs.. but Romo's bobble destroyed that..
The 2007 team was also pretty damn good but the idiots shook up the starting lineup going into the playoffs.. Starting Terry Glenn after a whole 5 snaps played that season, rushing T.O. back.. and starting Barber when the Jones starter/Barber closer combo had won you 13 games was just plain stupid. Then again I know some people probably think Jerry dictated those roster changes.
2009 was another good one.. but certainly not championship caliber.
2014 should have been an NFC championship game team at worst if not for Goodell's minions robbing Dez of a great catch.
2016 was another good one that just got caught with bad luck. And I still think that team gets past Rodgers if Romo is the starter.. I am never in favor of counting on a rookie QB in the playoffs.. Dak was fine in that game.. I just think Romo would have been better at that point in their respective careers.
2021 got derailed by injuries to Dak, Zeke and Tyron.. Maybe they don't get to the Super Bowl but I think at full health they handle the 49ers.

The bottom line is Jerry has managed to build some teams that most would agree were among the 10 best in the league on 8-9 occasions even after Super Bowl runs. Now that's still only good maybe 1/3rd of the time but it's better than 1/10th.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or HOFer Cliff Harris with Charlie Waters. Or even Michael Downs in the 80s. Was All Pro in ‘84 and a 3 time pro bowler.
Definitely as a pair, you have to give it to Waters/Harris.

As an individual, Darren Woodson was a good as it gets, in my opinion.
- He gets overlooked by the NFL because he didn't rack up INTs like Polamalu & he has a quiet, low key demeanor.
- Woodson often lined up as the Nickel CB covering slot WRs.
- He also played FS and SS.
- He easily could have played the coverage LB role that Neal played last season.
- He was also a coach on the field, especially in the years with Roy Williams.

conner01

Reaction score
H
Ummmm. What an insult to Woodson. Can someone muzzle this idiot already?
How is it an insult to Woodson
The overall safety position is probably one of the best in many people here’s lifetime
I don’t know if best ever but certainly the best group in decades
Just looking at starters I’d say Harris and waters was best ever pair but as an overall group this group is really good

tm1119

Reaction score
For the Cowboys of the last decade the S spot is very good…compared to the rest of the NFL? Maybe above average

terra

Reaction score
If you need to go back 30 years to Woodson to prove Jerry wrong, you’re missing his point.
Darren Woodson and a younger Roy Williams in 2003.
SO you must not have been a fan long to forget them in your need to suck up to jerry.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He would not be a fit at CB in many schemes; however, in Dan Quinn's scheme, it is possible that he could develop into a serviceable CB.

Diggs and Richard Sherman would not have had as much success in some schemes.

Sherman himself said that he would have failed if forced to play a tradition style.
- He used Darrelle Revis as the example of playing a tradition CB style at a high level.

Having said that, I did have the thought a few times this preseason that Wright could play Safety.
- It sometimes appears that Mukuamu and Wright should swap positions.
- Mukuamu played the majority of his college games at CB & he looked very "Cornerback-ish" in coverage this preseason.

Its possible? Not exactly a ringing endorsement.