Jerry's Gambles

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I forgot Dallas had Pacman Jones for awhile. lol

Look at us reminiscing about Jerry the Riverboat Gambler. Now he does nothing and we wish he would make some kind of exciting moves. Even if those moves were bad, they gave us some kind of off-season/in-season excitement.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I forgot about Tank Johnson. Dallas signed him coming off gun charges. He played for Dallas for two years but was suspended for the half of the first year.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
In skimming through the Trey Lance threads, it seems many consider acquiring him as a bust. Jerry took a chance on acquiring a first round talent with a fourth round pick and so far it hasn't panned out. I'm thinking back to some of Jerry's other recent gambles on "damaged" players with high upside and was wondering where he stands over all. Here are some that come to mind.

• Rolando McClain: Didn't give up too much for him and needed him when Sean Lee was hurt. Overall he played well but arson and purple drank might offset any contribution he made
  • Greg Hardy: Dallas was able to sign him for a decent deal based on games played and he ended up being suspended for a lot of them. He never amounted to the guy he was in Carolina, though.
  • Jaylon Smith: Jerry used a second round pick on what would have been a top 5 talent if not for the injury. Smith played well enough to get a big second contract and make sunglasses. He turned out to be a pile jumping (when he could hit the pile) failure who disgraced the numbers 54 and 9.
  • Pacman Jones: Decent contract after being out of the league only to be out of the league after one season in Dallas for fighting with his "bodyguard." He did go on to be productive with Cincinnati, though.
  • Dez Bryant: Dallas used a first round pick on a guy who was suspended at college and had a bit of a checkered past. The bargain here is that Dez fell in the draft. He turned out to be great for Dallas on the field until he wasn't. Hard to believe he is only 35 right now.
  • Randy Gregory: A second round "gamble" in that he was rated high but he liked to get high so he fell in the draft. He was decent while in Dallas but didn't pan out the way Jerry probably hoped.
I like the risk-taking with potential high reward. I hope the FO keeps doing that. They don't all pay off but we understand that going in.

Chasing6

Reaction score
In skimming through the Trey Lance threads, it seems many consider acquiring him as a bust. Jerry took a chance on acquiring a first round talent with a fourth round pick and so far it hasn't panned out. I'm thinking back to some of Jerry's other recent gambles on "damaged" players with high upside and was wondering where he stands over all. Here are some that come to mind.

• Rolando McClain: Didn't give up too much for him and needed him when Sean Lee was hurt. Overall he played well but arson and purple drank might offset any contribution he made
  • Greg Hardy: Dallas was able to sign him for a decent deal based on games played and he ended up being suspended for a lot of them. He never amounted to the guy he was in Carolina, though.
  • Jaylon Smith: Jerry used a second round pick on what would have been a top 5 talent if not for the injury. Smith played well enough to get a big second contract and make sunglasses. He turned out to be a pile jumping (when he could hit the pile) failure who disgraced the numbers 54 and 9.
  • Pacman Jones: Decent contract after being out of the league only to be out of the league after one season in Dallas for fighting with his "bodyguard." He did go on to be productive with Cincinnati, though.
  • Dez Bryant: Dallas used a first round pick on a guy who was suspended at college and had a bit of a checkered past. The bargain here is that Dez fell in the draft. He turned out to be great for Dallas on the field until he wasn't. Hard to believe he is only 35 right now.
  • Randy Gregory: A second round "gamble" in that he was rated high but he liked to get high so he fell in the draft. He was decent while in Dallas but didn't pan out the way Jerry probably hoped.
Don't forget maybe the biggest one of them all hiring his son.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
The Ads on this site killing anyone else?! Freaking ridiculous that this website has become filled with so much garbage.
Yea, I don't mind ads I get they should make some money for maintaining the site but these ads are big and all over the place giving this site a bad feel to it.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Yea, I don't mind ads I get they should make some money for maintaining the site but these ads are big and all over the place giving this site a bad feel to it.
I consider it a form of extortion: pay up or we bother you
So I say screw you to anyone like that

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
How do you become an Ultimate Member.....these ads are driving me crazy especially on game day.
The same way you become a loyal member through the Legion of Fans... I believe different levels offer different perks. Message @Reality ...he'll get you the info.

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The same way you become a loyal member through the Legion of Fans... I believe different levels offer different perks.
Thanks I saw that, I just joined the Loyal one a little while ago but I may look at upgrading.

TheCritic

Reaction score
LOL at the cherry picking of Cowboys player acquisition failures. As if other teams have superior batting averages.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
LOL at the cherry picking of Cowboys player acquisition failures. As if other teams have superior batting averages.
I don't know. From Entman, Coryatt and Miller to Brandon Carr I don't know if there is a comparable amount of FA largesse combined with failure outside of Dan Snyder.

bottleKids

Reaction score
Lol at DEZ being a gamble. He was special.
Special how? Good player yes...special player no.

He played for 10 years and had 7500 yards only.

Do you think Pierre Garcon was special? He had over 1k more yards than Dez....

rags747

Reaction score
I’m on at least 15 sites from cars, politics, architecture, boats, planes etc and this is actually the absolute worst. Ads are understandable but this has become a dollar three eighty five website.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
I consider it a form of extortion: pay up or we bother you
So I say screw you to anyone like that
If the ads were off to the side or below then fine but these ads are huge and right in the middle of the threads breaking them up so I can hardly see them. That is a bit too much. Does anyone know the price to get rid of these ads?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Jaylon was terrible pick and no he didn't play well enough to get a 2nd contract lol
Terrible, terrible pick. With our position in that draft, that was almost an essentially an end of 1st rd pick. To waste it on a guy like that, brutal. That draft was coming off the terrible 2015 season and we needed to pad our roster with talent and take advantage of the top of the round pick slots. Nothing hindsight about it, either. Another Jones family 2nd round specialty.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
In skimming through the Trey Lance threads, it seems many consider acquiring him as a bust. Jerry took a chance on acquiring a first round talent with a fourth round pick and so far it hasn't panned out.
Lance isn't even close to a 1st round talent. He was drafted in the 1st round, 4 years ago, yes. His talent on the field shows he is around a 6th-7th round, practice squad at best talent. People get too sucked into where guys were drafted. Remember, Mazi Smith and Taco Charlton were 1st round picks but far from 1st rd talent.

Even giving up a 4th rd pick was way too high for Lance. No one else was going to trade for him and SF would have just cut him and we could have gotten him without giving up any draft capital. SF won that trade.