Jerry's Gambles

Flamma

Reaction score
In skimming through the Trey Lance threads, it seems many consider acquiring him as a bust. Jerry took a chance on acquiring a first round talent with a fourth round pick and so far it hasn't panned out. I'm thinking back to some of Jerry's other recent gambles on "damaged" players with high upside and was wondering where he stands over all. Here are some that come to mind.

• Rolando McClain: Didn't give up too much for him and needed him when Sean Lee was hurt. Overall he played well but arson and purple drank might offset any contribution he made
  • Greg Hardy: Dallas was able to sign him for a decent deal based on games played and he ended up being suspended for a lot of them. He never amounted to the guy he was in Carolina, though.
  • Jaylon Smith: Jerry used a second round pick on what would have been a top 5 talent if not for the injury. Smith played well enough to get a big second contract and make sunglasses. He turned out to be a pile jumping (when he could hit the pile) failure who disgraced the numbers 54 and 9.
  • Pacman Jones: Decent contract after being out of the league only to be out of the league after one season in Dallas for fighting with his "bodyguard." He did go on to be productive with Cincinnati, though.
  • Dez Bryant: Dallas used a first round pick on a guy who was suspended at college and had a bit of a checkered past. The bargain here is that Dez fell in the draft. He turned out to be great for Dallas on the field until he wasn't. Hard to believe he is only 35 right now.
  • Randy Gregory: A second round "gamble" in that he was rated high but he liked to get high so he fell in the draft. He was decent while in Dallas but didn't pan out the way Jerry probably hoped.
Who knows what Lance has in store for his future, I wish him the best. But you can't compare him to the other guys on your list. They were all really good players at some point before something happened. Lance never was. He was never a first round talent. I have no idea why he was considered that. He was a first read/run QB with better legs than Tebow or Johnny Manzeil. There wasn't any real talent in any of those QBs outside of college. I couldn't believe the 49ers drafted him.

Chasing6

Reaction score
In skimming through the Trey Lance threads, it seems many consider acquiring him as a bust. Jerry took a chance on acquiring a first round talent with a fourth round pick and so far it hasn't panned out. I'm thinking back to some of Jerry's other recent gambles on "damaged" players with high upside and was wondering where he stands over all. Here are some that come to mind.

• Rolando McClain: Didn't give up too much for him and needed him when Sean Lee was hurt. Overall he played well but arson and purple drank might offset any contribution he made
  • Greg Hardy: Dallas was able to sign him for a decent deal based on games played and he ended up being suspended for a lot of them. He never amounted to the guy he was in Carolina, though.
  • Jaylon Smith: Jerry used a second round pick on what would have been a top 5 talent if not for the injury. Smith played well enough to get a big second contract and make sunglasses. He turned out to be a pile jumping (when he could hit the pile) failure who disgraced the numbers 54 and 9.
  • Pacman Jones: Decent contract after being out of the league only to be out of the league after one season in Dallas for fighting with his "bodyguard." He did go on to be productive with Cincinnati, though.
  • Dez Bryant: Dallas used a first round pick on a guy who was suspended at college and had a bit of a checkered past. The bargain here is that Dez fell in the draft. He turned out to be great for Dallas on the field until he wasn't. Hard to believe he is only 35 right now.
  • Randy Gregory: A second round "gamble" in that he was rated high but he liked to get high so he fell in the draft. He was decent while in Dallas but didn't pan out the way Jerry probably hoped.
QB is a completely different gamble in itself. Regardless what many people believe, it is not an athletic position first. Please see Mr. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning etc.

QB is an intellectual position first and foremost, that take years of experience to master. You can't work out on your own throwing the balls into nets and expect an increase in performance. That is not how it works. Sitting and watching with little to no experience does not help.

Drafting any QB who barely played in HS and only 1 season in college is border line incompetent regardless of how athletic someone maybe.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
What this list should make obvious is the lessening level of Jerry's influence as has been discussed for years.

Whole bunch from 10+ years ago and a lot less in the last 10.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sean Lee and Bruce Carter were 2nd round gambles, as well. Both had blown knees.
Sean Lee was a very good pick, He had the fortitude and smarts to play the position with the greats. Unforunately his body was not able to hold up to the rigors of the position at the NFL level. Bruce Carter was a four down linebacker in college and played for a former Cowboys coach at NC. I think Butch endorsed him to the Cowboys. This is from my increasingly fuzzy memory as I recall this about Bruce Carter. If I'm wrong please correct. He wasn't terrible but not really great either. I think his intelligence was a question mark. Again correct me if I am off on it.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What this list should make obvious is the lessening level of Jerry's influence as has been discussed for years.

Whole bunch from 10+ years ago and a lot less in the last 10.
Good point. And the OP doesn’t mention the bad trades that were big risks.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Sean Lee was a very good pick, He had the fortitude and smarts to play the position with the greats. Unforunately his body was not able to hold up to the rigors of the position at the NFL level. Bruce Carter was a four down linebacker in college and played for a former Cowboys coach at NC. I think Butch endorsed him to the Cowboys. This is from my increasingly fuzzy memory as I recall this about Bruce Carter. If I'm wrong please correct. He wasn't terrible but not really great either. I think his intelligence was a question mark. Again correct me if I am off on it.
Funny thing if you have good DT's your LB's don't get beat up as much taking on lineman and still expected to make the tackle.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
AMEN!!! Most boring offense in the league, who cares about stats because I know that comment is coming
So you‘re saying the 5th ranked offense, 3rd in passing and 1st in passing TD’s, is boring? Coots is entertaining.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good point. And the OP doesn’t mention the bad trades that were big risks.
I was looking more at acquisitions that did not cost much because the player was perceived as damaged but had a big upside. My list is not complete and looking at trades that fit this description should also be explored. I just couldn't think of any off the top of my head.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Ads on this site killing anyone else?! Freaking ridiculous that this website has become filled with so much garbage.
The ads were terrible for me and then I joined the site. The ads went away. It felt bad at first to have to pay for something I normally got for free but I don't regret it one bit.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was looking more at acquisitions that did not cost much because the player was perceived as damaged but had a big upside. My list is not complete and looking at trades that fit this description should also be explored. I just couldn't think of any off the top of my head.
All good. Jerry took some huge risks post JJ’s time. The Williams and Galloway trades still burn my gut. I was there at Texas Stadium on opening day when Galloway got injured for the year in his first game. ”The Pickle Juice Game” in 2000 Cowboys lost 41-14. Galloway tore his ACL. It was 110 in the shade.

gtb1943

Reaction score
The ads were terrible for me and then I joined the site. The ads went away. It felt bad at first to have to pay for something I normally got for free but I don't regret it one bit.
I would rather put up with them then pay

rambo2

Reaction score

Randy Gregory was certainly high. In fact he is high right now.