Jerry's Gambles

rambo2

Reaction score
QB is a completely different gamble in itself. Regardless what many people believe, it is not an athletic position first. Please see Mr. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning etc.

QB is an intellectual position first and foremost, that take years of experience to master. You can't work out on your own throwing the balls into nets and expect an increase in performance. That is not how it works. Sitting and watching with little to no experience does not help.

Drafting any QB who barely played in HS and only 1 season in college is border line incompetent regardless of how athletic someone maybe.
So, the 49ers were incompetent?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Randy Gregory was certainly high. In fact he is high right now.

IMG-0538.gif

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most of those were not gambles b/c there was nothing at risk. Greg Hardy, Pacman Jones, and Ro were nothing but upside. If they failed, we lost nothing.

What I don't like is the second round picks thats a valuable commodity we punt away far too often. The cowboys for some reason view that round as the spot to go for the homerun pick and try to outwit the league rather that just grab a solid player who can contribute day 1 and upgrade a position. Thats how we end up with Randy Gregory, Bruce Carter, and Jaylon Smith. Sean Lee worked out but he took awhile to get on the field and show his potential.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
So, the 49ers were incompetent?
Yes !
That was the worst drafting ever done by any team, gm, HC in the history of the NFL~!!!!!!!!!!!
Partly because they gave 3 1sts I think to move up and get him lol.

So people now say SF and Shan dumped him so he must be no good, but theses are the same idiots that drafted him ! lol.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
How about gambling two #1s on WR Galloway?

How about NOT learning the lesson from that disaster and then trading a #1 and #2 for WR Roy Williams?

FVSTONE

Reaction score
In skimming through the Trey Lance threads, it seems many consider acquiring him as a bust. Jerry took a chance on acquiring a first round talent with a fourth round pick and so far it hasn't panned out. I'm thinking back to some of Jerry's other recent gambles on "damaged" players with high upside and was wondering where he stands over all. Here are some that come to mind.

• Rolando McClain: Didn't give up too much for him and needed him when Sean Lee was hurt. Overall he played well but arson and purple drank might offset any contribution he made
  • Greg Hardy: Dallas was able to sign him for a decent deal based on games played and he ended up being suspended for a lot of them. He never amounted to the guy he was in Carolina, though.
  • Jaylon Smith: Jerry used a second round pick on what would have been a top 5 talent if not for the injury. Smith played well enough to get a big second contract and make sunglasses. He turned out to be a pile jumping (when he could hit the pile) failure who disgraced the numbers 54 and 9.
  • Pacman Jones: Decent contract after being out of the league only to be out of the league after one season in Dallas for fighting with his "bodyguard." He did go on to be productive with Cincinnati, though.
  • Dez Bryant: Dallas used a first round pick on a guy who was suspended at college and had a bit of a checkered past. The bargain here is that Dez fell in the draft. He turned out to be great for Dallas on the field until he wasn't. Hard to believe he is only 35 right now.
  • Randy Gregory: A second round "gamble" in that he was rated high but he liked to get high so he fell in the draft. He was decent while in Dallas but didn't pan out the way Jerry probably hoped.
Say what you want about JJ,

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I'm not a Dak guy nor am I clamoring for Trey to take his job, but Trey simply hasn't had time to develop. A couple of talking heads berating his practices and one preseason game isn't a huge body of work in a Dallas uniform.

He only has a little bit of football on his resume, and Kyle Shanahan isn't exactly known around the league as being a patient man. I think the 49ers won that trade by a mile, but we have to do what we all hate to do here - and simply wait and see.