Jets fans are desperate

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
kartr said:
Once again, the bottom line is winning and Carter has done that.

Once again the bottom line is in order to win you need to be able to count on your QB NOT going AWOL during a playoff run, especially when your starter has had to be rushed back from a serious injury. Which of course raises a whole new question - if a rhetorical one - why was Pennington allowed to even throw late last year if not for the lack of faith the CS had in either Quincy's game, ability to stay clear headed, or both?

Most NFL players have their warts (see Ray Lewis and Leonard Little), yet are allowed second,third and even fourth chances.

Ray Lewis is a poor example of unreliability. He'd be the first guy I knew I could depend on on game day. 'Warts' come with the territory, but QBs abandoning their teams during the playoffs have to rank with the mountainous ones, not the molehillish. There is also degree of substance abuse to consider, and all signs point to the Mother of All Monkeys sitting astride Quincy's back.

Has it ever occured to you it is not even in QC's interest to be under the pressure of NFL football right now? That not playing this year, or next, or even retiring for good, might be the best thing that could happen to the man, simply because the pressure fuels his need to 'escape'?

Many teams, the Jets included started out the season with horrific qb situations(the Jets,Ravens,Dolphins,Bears,Cardinals,etc). If you don't have nothing at qb to begin with, bringing in Carter who will give you a fighting chance even with his warts is a better option than not having on the team

Horrific by your lights maybe, but a recovering Pennington backed by a former starter in Fiedler did not constitute a particularly scary situation a month, or even two weeks ago. The Ravens too were felled by injury to their starter. And despite what anyone thinks of Boller, Billick was giving him another year to prove himself, and Wright as a backup makes a lot more sense than Carter
as he has far less baggage.

Were I Nick Saban, the freaking LAST thought I would entertain as a rookie HC
would be briging in another famous drug/head case, when I had my own much more talented one to rehabilitate in Ricky.

Chicago has suffered an endless whirlwind of years w/o a viable QB, but again, they started the season with Grossman. Lovey Smith is smart enough to know you don't add a drug problem to an already sticky mix. You can be forgiven a Hutch not working out, but what HC with Smith's team talent level has time for Carter's potential nonsense..which is suspension close down the pike? Big help he'd be.

If he fails to stay clean or is ineffective you've only paid him the league minimum anyway and since you wouldn't have won without him, it's worth the chance. If he stays clean and is effective, you saved your job.

You don't seem to get that taking chances based on talent and miscalculating is something all coaches can survive at one time or another, but playing Russian Roullete with AWOLers is something neither press nor fan will forgive. I also doubt Q is any longer looked at by the players as the victim he MAY have been considered after he was released in Dallas. Not after what he pulled in NY.

I don't hear much outrage about the other players who've done much worse than Carter and don't hear much outrage about other people in our society who work in more important fields than sports being given more opportunities. How is it that Q's transgressions get more hate than others that have done so much more wrong. This team was 13-10 in his last 23 starts here, but only 8-12 without him since his departure, that says volumes about where this team is headed.

That cry falls on deaf ears here because many of us, myself included, gave Carter every benefit of the doubt, only to discover later he didn't deserve it.

Q probably wouldn't have done much worse than Vinny in the light of the JJ and Glenn injuries last year, and of course, the QB's best friend (his D) that he had in 03, wouldn't have been around to carry him in 04, but Bledsoe is so superior a quarterback, even with his flaws, that the issue is entirely beggered now.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CowboyChris said:
best thing about Vinny being signed to the jets is, in the unfortunate case that Bledsoe goes down, BP will not be able to bring Vinnie back, thus one of our younger QB's will have to play

I'd rather just not see anything happen to Bledsoe...

if Romo or Henson has to play, we're even more sunk than we already are

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
kartr said:
He's a qb with a winning record and a playoff qb at that. Neither Bledsoe or Vinny have winning records and they haven't taken a team to the playoffs in more than half a decade. And that is the 'real' truth, like it or not. Carter also beat both Vinny and Drew head to head in 2003, plus McNabb,Jake Delhomme and Kerry Collins, plus first round qbs Joey Harrington and Patrick Ramsey.
Is that real enough for you?

you have some serious problem with this Quincy Carter garbage

what part of "suckarse quarterback" do you not get?

for crying out loud man, the guy cant even get a job as a 3rd QB in a league with 32 teams, with QB's getting injured left and right

David

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
Quincy is also allowed a 3rd chance once he serves his 4 game suspension. He's free to sign with any team he chooses. The part you keep missing is that no team wants to sign him

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
kartr said:
Got news for you, they didn't even have one starting caliber qb before the injuries. Pennington was all but finished after playing hurt last year. He played like crap before getting injured and has never played a full season anyway. Fiedler has been healthy only 1 of the last 6 years and hasn't gotten a team to the playoffs in almost as many and with their schedule, it wasn't likely they would have made the playoffs anyway. The only reason they made the playoffs last year was cause of Lamont Jordan, Kareem McKenzie and QC. Without those guys they were doomed from the beginning.

you say Pennington was basically finished and played like crap, yet they didnt think twice about putting him back out there in place of Quincy Carter did they?

and you say the only reason they made the playoffs was because of Carter, Jordan and Kareem Mckenzie? ***? did you not notice Curtis Martin leading the league in rushing, or the Jets having one of the top defenses in football? How many games did Carter play in again?

you should have, because its the only reason the Jets won the two games Carter started...they simply put almost no offense out there in the games he QB'd

David

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
just something to spike the punch...

Snippet from Lenny P. Tipsheet Punts which was also reported by Mort..

For some reason, former Dallas starting quarterback Quincy Carter, who played for the Jets in 2004, filed his retirement papers with the league Sept. 1. The mysterious move may have been a reaction to the bipolar disorder Carter is said to be battling. The upshot is, though, that Carter could be sanctioned by the NFL if he attempts to unretire during a 12-month period because of his repeat violations of the substance-abuse policy. ...

Tipsheet

Mort also said he had chemical dependency from depression related to the bipolar disorder. Or something to that effect. The full article is in the NFL Zone.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Vertigo_17 said:
Quincy is also allowed a 3rd chance once he serves his 4 game suspension. He's freee to sign with any team he chooses. The part you keep missing is that no team wants to sign him

Actually, according to Mort on ESPN, he is facing a one year suspension.

A team might be willing to take a chance on a quarter of a season, if the QB can be there in TC and play in preseason...ala Ricky...but nobody is going to sign a guy in season, wait 4 weeks, and hope for the best.

Add 12 more games to that and, well, Carter's career is over.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
Interesting, I thought it was just a 4 game suspension, but if it's a year...

Also, this just in - according to kartr, QC's well worth the wait. Sign him up this year and you're guarenteed playoffs the next year.

Wonder why no other GM has thought about this?