Jets release players

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Clement has proven to be injury prone. Twice on IR with Back and Triceps. Also he's been mediocre at best...cut by AZ and Denver and couldn't crack the starting lineup, stuck behind 2 of the worst OT's in the league.......Jennings and Kwame. Not sure why we would want SF's backup OT.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
tnfan said:
If they are offically releasing them today then yes, they would be available. The March 3rd Free Agency period is for players that have expired contracts (not released).
Not correct. the players where released to WAIVERS which means teams depending on where they are on the waiver wire can sign them. If we are first on the wire then we could take our choice if we are last then every team ahead of us would have to pass before we could sign them. Now if they clear waivers which means we'd have passed on them as well then we could sign them to a new deal. But only after they clear waivers......

aikemirv

Reaction score
Everyone complained that BP did not build quality depth at the T position last year.

I think BP really likes Pettiti - work ethic and played hurt. He wants to give Pettiti every chance to grow into the position. To do that Fabini, for a short moderately priced contract provides depth and the opportunity for Bp to develope Pettiti as he would like.

I think he will be here and we will see in the draft how BP feels about Columbo and others.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
I think they are better off going after a guy like Anthony Clement who has RT and LT experience, is 3 years younger, and less costly. Then go after an OT in the first or second round of the draft.

I totally agree. He's also been released for specific reasons that lead me to believe he would not be a good fit with this team at all (fat and lazy). What good is having a 28 year old player who can't play simply because he's 3 years younger than Fabini?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I would be willing to bet that we won't select a OT in the first round.

Just because it is a stupid thing to do with the #18 pick overall? Just because you can usually get guys that are just as good in the 2nd or 3rd? Just because you could get an actual impact player there instead?

Unless D'Brick is there then none of the guys are worth our pick.

aikemirv

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Not correct. the players where released to WAIVERS which means teams depending on where they are on the waiver wire can sign them. If we are first on the wire then we could take our choice if we are last then every team ahead of us would have to pass before we could sign them. Now if they clear waivers which means we'd have passed on them as well then we could sign them to a new deal. But only after they clear waivers......

You don't go to the waiver wire as a ten year vet do you?

Raneiron#31

Reaction score
Ok out of that bunch Sowell would be my #1 priority, he gives a big blocker that can open up the holes for whomever is running the rock for us. He also can be a part of our pass game, which we all know BP likes to throw lil swing passes to the backs. I think with Sowell we can actually go back to having a smashmouth football team that we all love and want.

Fabini would be a nice addition to the team, I wouldnt cry at all if we signed him but I think the priority would be Sowell.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
abersonc said:
When can these guys sign? Is it like Bledsoe who was able to sign at anytime?

If so, we'll know about Fabs pretty soon.

I believe that is possible. But with this CBA deal going on, FA may be on hold. But I'd sign Fabini in a second -- and I'm not a "sign the 'name' FA" guy. He'd certainly make the OL better.

neosapien23

Reaction score
I would rather sign Kevin Barry instead of Fabini. He is only 26 years old and should not be very expensive. Let Barry and Pettitti fight it out for the starting RT position.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Raneiron#31 said:
Ok out of that bunch Sowell would be my #1 priority, he gives a big blocker that can open up the holes for whomever is running the rock for us. He also can be a part of our pass game, which we all know BP likes to throw lil swing passes to the backs. I think with Sowell we can actually go back to having a smashmouth football team that we all love and want.

Fabini would be a nice addition to the team, I wouldnt cry at all if we signed him but I think the priority would be Sowell.

When the fullback only sees the field 30% of the time because of extra TE's and 3 WR sets, he is not the priority.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but I don't want any more of Parcells' former players. It's almost like he believes no one else out there can play for him. Something about that bothers me.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DBoys said:
I do too but like Rush 2112 mentioned what happens if Flo or Petitti goes down? We need depth in the worst way and last year taught us that.

The fact is you can't as much depth across your team as much as what you would like. You have cap limitations and are only limited to a certain number of players.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I would rather sign Kevin Barry instead of Fabini. He is only 26 years old and should not be very expensive. Let Barry and Pettitti fight it out for the starting RT position.

Might as well let Torrin Tucker compete for the position too. It should be a pretty close competition between the 3. Unfortunately.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
When the fullback only sees the field 30% of the time because of extra TE's and 3 WR sets, he is not the priority.
Because Polite can't do the things Parcells wants from his FB.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Might as well let Torrin Tucker compete for the position too. It should be a pretty close competition between the 3. Unfortunately.
Tucker needs to go back to guard where he belongs.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
True "blocking FBs" are damn near a dinosaur in football today to be frank. They've just sort of disappeared due to the game's progression.

Raneiron#31

Reaction score
[/quote]When the fullback only sees the field 30% of the time because of extra TE's and 3 WR sets, he is not the priority. [/quote]

Now do we only use the fullback 30% of the time b/c thats our offensive scheme or do we do it because we dont have a competent run blocking FB which makes us use 2 te and 3 wr sets? IF its the latter and we sign a FB that can block he'll be used more then 30% of the plays.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't want any more of Parcells' former players. It's almost like he believes no one else out there can play for him. Something about that bothers me.

Yep.

And having 4, 30+ year-olds on the o-line scares the **** out of me because it will have all to be rebuilt in a season or two.

Whatever happened to bringing up your own players?

Hasn't anyone learned from the mistakes the Commanders made.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
:hammer:

Besides Polite is doing just fine. Leave him alone.

:grin:

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Because Polite can't do the things Parcells wants from his FB.

Its not just Polite and its not just Parcells. The FB is a dying breed in the NFL overall. The good ones in the league today are guys like Coolley, who are basically small tight ends/H-backs.

There is very little demand for them and they are paid like it. Its not like Sowell will be the only FB on the market. About 8 to 10 starters are UFA's this year .... Mack Strong. William Henderson. Tony Richardson. Najeh Davenport. Fred Beasley. Just off the top of my head. Some of the league's best over the past 5-7 years. Teams really don't make any effort to keep them around.