Jets release players

sago1

Reaction score
Why did Jets waive these players instead of releasing them outright? Given age/career of these players, I think it more normal that they would have been cut. That would allow each player to immediately pursue contacts with teams of interest to them. Placing them on waiver eliminates interested teams from contacting the player they interested in until that player clears waiver. Were Jets just helping these players try to find teams interested in them or was it an effort to limit Cowboys ability to move swiftly to sign 1-2 players who could help us. BTW: Don't believe the 31 year old Fabini will come cheap but maybe Cowboys want Runyan or younger RT.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
You mean guys like eddie george, marco rivera, Henry and Peerless Price?

The thing about older vs younger.

IF you can find a younger guy with good upside, chances are you are going to pay for him.

Then you have the argument I see many others use, why don't we cultivate the players we have...we do have young guys at OT right now.

So I would like the idea of getting an older vet who will play at a cheap price and would be willing to sit on the bench as a backup while the young guys get their chances.

I really do not have a hangup about the situation myself. If a player can help the team I am all for bringing them in no matter the ties to bill or no ties to bill.

As I said before my hope is that either the young OTs we already have on the roster step up, or we get someone worthy in the draft.

But after last years situation I would not mind a vet with EXP waiting in the wings if he comes cheap...and I am not going to be down on him just because he had played with bill before.

After all of that I said, I don't think we will bring him in, his injury and performance because of injuries over the last couple of years have not been up to par and I think bill learned his lesson with injury problems with the last guy he brought in.
Tell me the truth BP, would you rather pay for the young guy and have it be a long term solution or have more Marcellus Wiley signings with dead money after you decide to cut bait?

Sometimes you DO get what you pay for.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
sago1 said:
Were Jets just helping these players try to find teams interested in them or was it an effort to limit Cowboys ability to move swiftly to sign 1-2 players who could help us.

Now why would the Jets care who signed these guys?

Again, you all need to quit with the conspiracy theories.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Yep. It's a pattern.

I'm not happy with the 15th rated QB in the NFL.

He was one of the top passers in the league before our blocking totally broke down.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
abersonc said:
He was one of the top passers in the league before our blocking totally broke down.

I was good looking before I got old.

Next.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dough Boy said:
Hos,

I know you like Rob potential, so I pose this question. If you do bring in the younger version, does that compromise Rob's growth. Rob could learn from Fabini. He could bide his time and learn the game from a real pro. I think if we go younger, that would be a clear indication that Rob is not a long term answer. If we go with a Fabini at a reasonable price, that would be more of an indication that Rob has real growth potential.
I consider that a valid question. Thanks.

Again, is Fabini the only OT out there? Is he even the only older wiser OT out there?

If he's the only option at all then I understand. We had an "only" option left situation with Wiley.

A former Jet or Patriots is released and the antenae goes up all over Cowboy nation. There's only one reason for it. We've relied on his ties to the past too much. In some instances it has helped. In others it has bitten us righ tin the drawers. See Ryan Young.

I'm not opposed to signing an OT to compete with, push, or mentor Petitti. I just think we should look at the entire NFL and not just former "Parcells' guys."

I'm weary of that practice to the point of nausea.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:

NO!!!

Not in this forum.

We've got a bunch of folks that think the next "Eric Williams" and "Daryl Johnston" are now out on the streets. Not that it matters that they are like a combined 90 years old.

superpunk

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

Next.

Yeah, except that's your own damn fault.;)

Unless someone shot you, or you were disfigured because of the negligence of those around you. Then, it would be similar to Bledsoe's situation last year.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Hostile said:
What else ya got? Of those players the only one I really have any devotion to is Glenn, and that devotion is on borrowed time. I like Key more than I thought I would, but if he left so what. I like Bledsoe, but wouldn't cry if he were gone either. I'm so glad Richie is gone. I didn't care for him at all.

Oh wait, I forget, I don't know as much as Parcells so I should just keep my mouth shut.

Yeah, like that's going to happen.

His former players with the Jets and Patriots are now past their prime for the most part. By all means let's go get a bunch of guys past their prime on the cheap. We all know that's winning football strategy.

Give me a huge break. I don't get the Geritol attraction. If that doesn't sit well with you, I suppose we'll get over it.

Subdivisions...
In the Free Agent wars...
In the sports bars...
Subdivisions.

:wink2:

No emotion in that post.

How bout a little logic?

How many times have the Cowboys had 2 WR's catch 60+balls?

How many times has that happened with a 60+ catch TE to boot?

How many times has a QB thrown for the yards and TD's Bledsoe did?

With that OL and running game....are you joking.

Richie wasn't a smash mouth FB.

That answers that question.

Who cares who likes who.

Are they good football players is all that matters.

It's not a geritol attraction.

What's the attraction to rolling out young scrubs, guys of lesser talent, or guys before they're ready?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk said:
Yeah, except that's your own damn fault.;)

Unless someone shot you, or you were disfigured because of the negligence of those around you. Then, it would be similar to Bledsoe's situation last year.

Good reply! LOL!

But my bet would still be that Drew would have dipped in production over the second half if Adams was there or not.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
OK if it were a "no brainer" where was the "experienced back up" last year?

You mean like Ross Verba or Chris Terry?

They're still doing what they were last August.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rush 2112 said:
No emotion in that post.

How bout a little logic?

How many times have the Cowboys had 2 WR's catch 60+balls?

How many times has that happened with a 60+ catch TE to boot?

How many times has a QB thrown for the yards and TD's Bledsoe did?

With that OL and running game....are you joking.

Richie wasn't a smash mouth FB.

That answers that question.

Who cares who likes who.

Are they good football players is all that matters.

It's not a geritol attraction.

What's the attraction to rolling out young scrubs, guys of lesser talent, or guys before they're ready?

We did all that last year and our offense was what?

15th?

Nope... I'm looking at my socks... They aren't knocked off!

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
aikemirv said:
You don't go to the waiver wire as a ten year vet do you?
Deion Sanders did the year before he came back he talked about it and the skins released him and San Diego claimed him off waivers so he sat out another year until his contract had expired then signed with the Ravens.

superpunk

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Good reply! LOL!

But my bet would still be that Drew would have dipped in production over the second half if Adams was there or not.

It's a decent enough bet, since he does have that track record. But, that's just speculating. Fact is, the difference in production of our offense pre and post Flozell injury is staggering. Was the drop solely because of Flozell's injury? Probably not. But, being able to look at that singular event, and the numbers surrounding it, certainly suggests that it had at least a substantial impact on the team's production, Bledsoe included. The Chiefs and Steelers had similar situations when their LTs went down this year, and their offenses suffered mightily for those games. Difference is, they got them back.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

Next.

Boy that's a great analogy. Poor blocking is therefore completely unavoidable like aging.

Sure puts our discussions about drafting for the OT in perspective.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
You mean like Ross Verba or Chris Terry?

They're still doing what they were last August.

Being arrogant *******s?? Or just beating up on their wives?

Rush 2112

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
We did all that last year and our offense was what?

15th?

Nope... I'm looking at my socks... They aren't knocked off!

Are you kidding me?

Rookie 6th round RT, Flo goes down, and a 3 time failure at RT gets moved to LT.

Very confusing.

I understand.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
Tell me the truth BP, would you rather pay for the young guy and have it be a long term solution or have more Marcellus Wiley signings with dead money after you decide to cut bait?

Hey thanks...Yes that was another guy that did not play for bill prior Marcellus Wiley.

I keep hearing that bill only brings in guys that played for him before like a big conspiracy theory.

Now back to the point.

I think I have already stated if we brought in Fabini I would hope it would be a cheap price and for the reason of Depth.

Which Depth means sitting in the background. Since we currently have three YOUNG OTs on the roster I think we do have YOUNG players on the roster.

I do recall two YOUNG OTs getting a good deal of starting time last season...which is another thing that seems to negate the Bill does not play young guys or rookies thing I have heard many times.

So in the end...If we have three YOUNG OTs already on the roster, if we decide we wish to draft another young OT.

It would seem to me we would also like to possibly have a cagey old vet sitting on the bench in case someone gets hurt or in case the young guys struggle...even if that vet played for bill once before.

Sometimes I scratch my head on this forum, it seems too many people get caught up in too many trivial things with bill. If he brings in a former player and he does well...hey that helps the team, if he brings in a former player and they suck then boot the player off. But to automatically have an ingrained feeling of distrust or loathing at even the idea of it seems silly to me.

But hey that is just my 2 copper...I know I sure as heck not going to complain if we bring in an older guy for depth purposes as long as the price is fair and I am sure not going to prejudge a move that was from a coach that would like to bring someone in he knows somewhat. Esp considering that people are calling on time for young players, and then when the young players play they complain...we do currently have 3 young OTs on the roster and a good chance we will have at least one more after the draft.