Jetswire: Jets should call Cowboys about trade for DLaw

Blackspider214

Reaction score
The Cowboys didn't let Hitchens walk. He was a FA. Big difference.

Not completely sold the LB core was weakened. Thomas is no slouch and is underestimated by many.

No they let him walk in the sense they didn't even try to match. I.e. let him walk to sign the contract with his new team. If we wanted to keep him, we could have. I just hate this endless cycle of drafting to fill needs we created ourselves. Instead of drafting to strengthen the team. I mean, we preach drafting and paying our own. We found Hitchens in the middle of the draft and he improved every single year. He didn't get some huge contract from KC. We could have easily matched. And the salary cap continues to rise anyways. So what he counts against the cap decreases over the years.

At some point you have to pay money to players. We have no issues on doing it with the offense with Dez, Romo, Witten and the OL. Well you need to also pay the defense, too.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Why in the world would we trade one of the top pass rushers in the game when we’ve tried desperately to improve our pass rush since Demarcus Ware? We want to compete now, not a few years from now when those draft picks will help.

The smart thing to do would be to trade one of our excess pass rushers- Crawford, Tapper, Armstrong, etc, if the Jets want a good guy for a cheaper price. We likely have 7 DEs that are rotation worthy.

Yep. Too many are fascinated with draft picks. You know who always has great draft picks and tons of cap space? The Browns. And they haven't been to the playoffs in 14 years. I'd rather pay a player who has proven in this league than take chances in the draft with unknowns. Any day of the week. We want to win now. We aren't some bottom of the rung team with zero chance. As crappy as we played last year, we were 9-7. And 13-3 the year before. There is no logic trading your star players for draft picks. That's for teams like the Browns.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
No they let him walk in the sense they didn't even try to match. I.e. let him walk to sign the contract with his new team. If we wanted to keep him, we could have. I just hate this endless cycle of drafting to fill needs we created ourselves. Instead of drafting to strengthen the team. I mean, we preach drafting and paying our own. We found Hitchens in the middle of the draft and he improved every single year. He didn't get some huge contract from KC. We could have easily matched. And the salary cap continues to rise anyways. So what he counts against the cap decreases over the years.

At some point you have to pay money to players. We have no issues on doing it with the offense with Dez, Romo, Witten and the OL. Well you need to also pay the defense, too.

Actually, I agree with this 100% but the problem is what/where does DLaw value stand with Stephen Jones. Word has it they were miles apart on a long-term deal. This front office has a history of not taking care of their defensive players. Other than Lee and Scan, Dware was the last originally drafted defensive player to get a big-time second contract over the last 10 years or so. If you look at number DWare put up with the 4-5 years of his career, no way in hell DLaw will match that. I said in another thread a couple months ago, it would not surprise me at all to see FO play the system with remaining tenure as a Cowboy. Other words, they KNOW his contract numbers are going up if he put together another year similar to 2017. That would likely shift his FT number from $17M to around $20M for 2019. So it would CHEAPER for them to simply tag him AGAIN 2019 and let him walk 2020 coz a third tag would likely cost over $25M. $20M for 2019 would be a lot but guess what, FO isn't stuck with a huge contract containing a boatload of guaranteed money. This would very similar what happened with the Skins and Kirk Cousins. In fact, I read a tweet from an agent couple weeks suggesting it's the same route the Raiders and Rams may try Donald and Mack.........exhaust all tags and let the players walk.

This my original post IF the FO feels the chances of signing him to a long-term deal are slim, why move him for draft picks. BTW Gruden statement about how as good as Mack was their D was still not very good last year was no tongue-and-cheek comment IMO. Basically saying as good as Mack was, he didn't impact his team/teammates. I could be and certainly hope I am wrong but just don't see Stephen Jones giving DLaw $100M+ long-term deal.

Verdict

Reaction score
Actually, I agree with this 100% but the problem is what/where does DLaw value stand with Stephen Jones. Word has it they were miles apart on a long-term deal. This front office has a history of not taking care of their defensive players. Other than Lee and Scan, Dware was the last originally drafted defensive player to get a big-time second contract over the last 10 years or so. If you look at number DWare put up with the 4-5 years of his career, no way in hell DLaw will match that. I said in another thread a couple months ago, it would not surprise me at all to see FO play the system with remaining tenure as a Cowboy. Other words, they KNOW his contract numbers are going up if he put together another year similar to 2017. That would likely shift his FT number from $17M to around $20M for 2019. So it would CHEAPER for them to simply tag him AGAIN 2019 and let him walk 2020 coz a third tag would likely cost over $25M. $20M for 2019 would be a lot but guess what, FO isn't stuck with a huge contract containing a boatload of guaranteed money. This would very similar what happened with the Skins and Kirk Cousins. In fact, I read a tweet from an agent couple weeks suggesting it's the same route the Raiders and Rams may try Donald and Mack.........exhaust all tags and let the players walk.

This my original post IF the FO feels the chances of signing him to a long-term deal are slim, why move him for draft picks. BTW Gruden statement about how as good as Mack was their D was still not very good last year was no tongue-and-cheek comment IMO. Basically saying as good as Mack was, he didn't impact his team/teammates. I could be and certainly hope I am wrong but just don't see Stephen Jones giving DLaw $100M+ long-term deal.

That's too much money to tie up in Lawrence. If they offer you two firsts for Lawrence then do the deal and don't look back, buyback a I don't think they will do that.

If we don't plan on signing Lawrence long term, then you have to ask the question will having Lawrence on the team this year be the difference in winning the super bowl or not. If it's not, then move him, save the $17 million cap hit and trade him.

If the Jets offered a first and a second for Lawrence then you do the deal and don't look back. You would control the draft next year.

Taco is touted here as the next Lawrence, so why are you guys so worried about moving on from Lawrence if you think Taco is all that and a bag of chips?

If we moved on from Lawrence and cut Ealy we would be set at DE and have room for all of the developmental DEs.

blueblood70

Reaction score
That's too much money to tie up in Lawrence. If they offer you two firsts for Lawrence then do the deal and don't look back, buyback a I don't think they will do that.

If we don't plan on signing Lawrence long term, then you have to ask the question will having Lawrence on the team this year be the difference in winning the super bowl or not. If it's not, then move him, save the $17 million cap hit and trade him.

If the Jets offered a first and a second for Lawrence then you do the deal and don't look back. You would control the draft next year.

Taco is touted here as the next Lawrence, so why are you guys so worried about moving on from Lawrence if you think Taco is all that and a bag of chips?

If we moved on from Lawrence and cut Ealy we would be set at DE and have room for all of the developmental DEs.
umm thats what the above thread you quoted was saying but until Taco and Gregory and others get up to speed in production Dlaw is right now the only guy on the dline that can make a OC nervous..you use his FT up and let him go and by then Taco and maybe Gregory are producing..you dont just trade them for picks regardless of how good they might be and leave giant hole in the defense..if Irving wasn't such a bonehead that trade might eb more doable but hes constantly gone and cant be counted on.. tank is the guy the commands attention right now from the offenses and we need that guy until our d grows up more..

kevm3

Reaction score
So instead of trying to compete, we are going to decimate our pass rush? No thanks

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The Patriots have stayed good because they have Tom Brady behind center and Billy B. pacing the sideline.

I’m thinking without them the way they churn their roster wouldn’t work quite so well.

As for Lawrence he needs to be re-signed if he performs like he did last year. You keep your homegrown star players.
bahahahhah..... lets see how great this strategy works when number 12 is not under center.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No they let him walk in the sense they didn't even try to match. I.e. let him walk to sign the contract with his new team. If we wanted to keep him, we could have. He didn't get some huge contract from KC. We could have easily matched.
The reason the Cowboys didn't match is exactly due to his big offer from KC. Yes the Cowboys could have matched but you don't overpay, especially don't overpay like KC did. $9M per year? Thank goodness the Cowboys didn't match. He isn't Pro Bowl material deserving of that kind of bank.

Questfor6

Reaction score
I'd make a trade with the Jets but D Law wouldn't be involved. Quincy Enunwa or Chad Hansen for a late round pick

Blackspider214

Reaction score
The reason the Cowboys didn't match is exactly due to his big offer from KC. Yes the Cowboys could have matched but you don't overpay, especially don't overpay like KC did. $9M per year? Thank goodness the Cowboys didn't match. He isn't Pro Bowl material deserving of that kind of bank.

$9mill a year is hardly overpaying. Yet we just spent a 1st round pick for his replacement. Who is not even as good as Hitchens. You could have spent the money on Hitchens and used the 1st round pick on another position. Again, we preach draft our own, pay our own. Yet we let him walk. So we used a 1st round pick to plug a hole we let happen. Chasing our tail. Our LB core is now weaker than last season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So help me understand this......DLaw is one of the best pass rushers in the league and is his mid 20s....for someone who we hope is as good as Lawrence? What kind of backwards logic is that!?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Its August. We don't really know anything about our LB corps. To suggest otherwise is purely speculation.

LVE is not going to become better than Hitchens here in a few weeks.

I was not against drafting LVE but the reason we had to was our own doing. We created a hole and then filled it with a 1st round pick. Hitchens is not making tons of money. Especially not with a cap that keeps rising. At some point, you have to pay players what they are worth. The concept of going cheap on defense has not worked for us.

JBond

Reaction score
Depends...

It took the Cowboys a 2nd & 3rd rounders to move up to draft D-LAW, then several more years to develop him into a 14+ sack/year monster. D-LAW barely turned 26 years old in April, which means his best years are still to come. He should be among the league's best pass rushers arguably for the next 5 years at a minimum.

It's not very smart to trade him, even for two future 1st round picks if you can't guarantee that either one of those 1st round picks could develop into a 14 sack/year left pass rushing DE. Too much of a risk in my opinion, unless D-LAW and his agent decide to try to rob the bank throughout the season in negotiations for his next longterm contract.
Lol. I think he is headed into his prime. No one will give up two 1st round picks. If the jets offer it, take it. Not going to happen. Regarding the player, hope he beats the crap out of our opponents and is in the Pro Bowl.