Jetswire: Jets should call Cowboys about trade for DLaw

JustChip

Reaction score
The Patriots traded Wilfork? I thought that just declined his option.

As for Collins, they traded him for a third round, compensatory pick. Yeah, not exactly selling high.

The Patriots are actually famous for bringing in people that schematically fit perfectly, adding a last piece to the puzzle, to put them over the top. They're not infallible though. Randall Cobb is a good example of when even they overreach. If we wanted to follow the Patriots blueprint, we would PAY Lawrence, like the Pats did with so many of their great defenders, and we would go out and add a player or two to put this D over the top.

I get the draw of two first round picks, but not when it costs you the best defender, if not the best player on your team. Lawrence is a building block to me, not a trade chip. If they try to resign him mid-season and offer a legit contract and he balks, THEN maybe you see what the market is. Right now, I think this D is on the verge of being great and that's largely because of Lawrence, not in spite of him. I'd sooner entertain sending two picks to the Rams for Donald than trading Lawrence for two picks.

By the way, the one thing I strongly agree with you on is, if you're going to sign a player to a big contract, I prefer to sign D Law because of how he's handled his FT. No hold-out, no disgruntled comments, no open letters to the media. I see him in that regard like Pudge Rodriguez back I the 90's. That means a lot to me.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
By the way, the one thing I strongly agree with you on is, if you're going to sign a player to a big contract, I prefer to sign D Law because of how he's handled his FT. No hold-out, no disgruntled comments, no open letters to the media. I see him in that regard like Pudge Rodriguez back I the 90's. That means a lot to me.

I think he's already earned at least one more payday from us, personally, for these reasons alone.

JustChip

Reaction score
That's not "mitigating risk," that's taking a pessimistic view point and allowing it to effect your personnel decisions. Say Lawrence goes out and has 12 sacks this year and misses one game due to his back--is trading a proven player with some injury concerns for two completely unknown commodities, mitigating any risk? Absolutely not. It's playing the lottery with your roster.

By your rationale, we should have traded Dak and Zeke before last season. Tyron should be long gone. Romo who? Aikman should have never gotten rings here. Emmitt should have gotten the all-time rushing record somewhere else... You see where I am going. You pay for performance. Period. If you run your team solely based on "ifs" then you're not winning ****. You're always going to be rebuilding and hedging your hopes on unknowns. How many drafts did it take us to find a true pass rusher after Ware? You want to play the lottery with that again? No thanks.

And no, we all buy insurance because it's against the law not to.

I think you've missed my point. I never said absolutely you do it "in a heartbeat" as some others have, nor dismiss it outright. I've said you have to seriously consider it; it's not cut and dried. If they call with a two 1sts offer, I'm not hanging up on them. I listen, tell them I'll get back to them, and then weigh the pros and cons.

And if someone called about Dak or Zeke before last season and offered two 1sts, I'm doing the same thing. Listening, thinking and deciding. Frankly, I do that for every player on the roster.

And by the way, not all insurance is mandated by law. Homeowner's insurance is not mandated by law, it's required by the lender, but pay your loan off and you're free to not have homeowner's insurance. Liability car insurance is mandated by law, but not collision although the lenders require it. Again, pay off your car loan and you don't have to have collision.

vaturkey

Reaction score
Jamal Adams a number 1 pick and then Teddy Bridgewater. That would never happen for sure, but it might be interesting. Darnold is going to be the starter and Josh the backup. Bridgewater is excess and hence trade bait.

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
So much wrong here.

Neither the Rams or the Raiders would take the 28th pick for Donald or Mack. Can't believe that was even suggested.

Why would the Cowboys trade Taco? He's looked great and on a rookie deal. And since when do the Cowboys throw away 2nd round picks? You have to go all the way back to 2013 with Escobar.
Look at the draft history of the Dallas Cowboys since 1995 and especially the second round.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who says??

The pick is past, we have Taco ... it’s done. If you are talking about giving up our 2019 first round pick, we don’t know now where that will bi in the first round. In any case, I’m sure a lot of teams would give up a future 1st round pick for Mack or Donald, yet it hasn’t happened. Likely there is a reason.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IF and a strong IF, the FO has any sense that they unlikely sign DLaw to a long-term deal, this is worth considering if the Jets offered two 1st round picks. A strong crop of DLs projected in 2019 draft......

Mike Maccagnan: Jets exploring avenues to improve their pass rush

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2018/...sh/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_ca

macc4.jpg

By: Tyler Greenawalt | August 9, 2018 7:40 am ET

The Jets are in the market for a pass rusher.

Mike Maccagnan said so on ESPN Radio’s Humpty & Canty on Wednesday, making it clear that obtaining an edge or outside linebacker is on his mind.

“There’s trade opportunities that kind of pop themselves up,” the general manager said. “We’re looking at any opportunity to kind of make ourselves better. And that’s a position that we’re focused on.”

So, who could the Jets target?

The first name to jump to mind is the Oakland Raiders’ Khalil Mack, who already has 40.5 sacks in his short NFL career.

Has anybody noticed how uninformed fans/media have a default idea that their team should trade 2 first round picks for a Super Star player? It always seems to be two 1st round picks.

It reminds me of Tchaikovsky.

Tchaikovsky --> Nutcracker
Nutcracker --> Sugar Plum Fairy
Sugar Plum --> Twas the night before Christmas:

"While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads".

Jets Fans
While visions of DLaw danced in their heads.

Cowboys Fans
While visions of Aaron Donald danced in their heads.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Why in the world would we trade one of the top pass rushers in the game when we’ve tried desperately to improve our pass rush since Demarcus Ware? We want to compete now, not a few years from now when those draft picks will help.

The smart thing to do would be to trade one of our excess pass rushers- Crawford, Tapper, Armstrong, etc, if the Jets want a good guy for a cheaper price. We likely have 7 DEs that are rotation worthy.