News: JG to alter sideline operation

odog422

Reaction score
Heavily skewed by defensive and special teams scores.

Only handful of emoticons - so my sarcasm was lost in quoting the stat. However, the point remains the same - I echo khiladi's question - if garrett supporters are throwing out stats like what I said to "prove" the success and efficiency of the offense, why this total shakeup in offensive flow and playcalling? Many cite, and I agree, how the lack of postseason success has one common denominator - Jerry. Different coaches, players, offensive, defensive philosophies.

Likewise, three years of garrett as HC and have changed defensive coordinators and philosophies, players, removed his playcalling duties, now subtly reinstalled them. .500 ball. Common denominator? jason garrett.

Both cases - result is team operating with systemic or "built-in" handicaps. We all see the on-the-field results.

Plankton

Reaction score
I have a better idea. Why not give the headset to Jerry?

jerry-jones-coach-o.gif

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett has changed the sideline operation for Sunday's game against the New York Giants so that he will have direct contact with quarterback Tony Romo on the field as in previous seasons, according to a league source.

Garrett, however, will continue to have offensive coordinator Bill Callahan call the plays. The change will also provide Garrett greater control of the play-calling as he can more easily make changes before delivering to Romo to call in the huddle.

Quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson will be relocated from the sideline to the upstairs coaching booth to assist Callahan in reading coverages.

More: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...ach-dallas-cowboys-changes-sideline-structure

Garrett is nothing more than a glorified cheerleader. He is worst than Campo. At least Campo knows something about football.

Jerryrage

Reaction score
When you go 0-9 in 3rd down and you don't even try to get one of the top WR in the NFL the football. I expected some change.

coult44

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett has changed the sideline operation for Sunday's game against the New York Giants so that he will have direct contact with quarterback Tony Romo on the field as in previous seasons, according to a league source.

Garrett, however, will continue to have offensive coordinator Bill Callahan call the plays. The change will also provide Garrett greater control of the play-calling as he can more easily make changes before delivering to Romo to call in the huddle.

Quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson will be relocated from the sideline to the upstairs coaching booth to assist Callahan in reading coverages.

More: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...ach-dallas-cowboys-changes-sideline-structure

Is the "Secret Sauce"

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I'd like to know what they do then. As far as i know, both are just reporters

Mickey and Broaddus both work for the Cowboys....................Jerry signs their checks.................thats why Mickey got the homer label because he always puts a positive spin on things for the Cowboys. Like when a free agent is available and the Cowboys dont sign him and fans want to know why, Mickey would always say "If he is so good, why is he available?".

The fact that both Mickey and Broaddus are saying that these 6 games will determine if Garrett is back or not speaks volumes.........You usually dont contradict the guy that signs your checks unless you clear it with him first. Dont think for a second that Jerry does not know what these guys say on their shows every day (which happen to take place inside Valley Ranch).

Its like the other day when Broaddus said players in the lockerroom were coming up to him and questioning the coaching. Do you think Broaddus would make that up when Jerry signs his check? Bottom line is that they are not just clueless reporters, they are paid by Jerry and they have their shows everyday where they comment on whats going on in Valley Ranch and dont think for a second Jerry is not aware of what they are saying or disapproves of what they are saying.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Mickey and Broaddus both work for the Cowboys....................Jerry signs their checks.................thats why Mickey got the homer label because he always puts a positive spin on things for the Cowboys. Like when a free agent is available and the Cowboys dont sign him and fans want to know why, Mickey would always say "If he is so good, why is he available?".

The fact that both Mickey and Broaddus are saying that these 6 games will determine if Garrett is back or not speaks volumes.........You usually dont contradict the guy that signs your checks unless you clear it with him first. Dont think for a second that Jerry does not know what these guys say on their shows every day (which happen to take place inside Valley Ranch).

Its like the other day when Broaddus said players in the lockerroom were coming up to him and questioning the coaching. Do you think Broaddus would make that up when Jerry signs his check? Bottom line is that they are not just clueless reporters, they are paid by Jerry and they have their shows everyday where they comment on whats going on in Valley Ranch and dont think for a second Jerry is not aware of what they are saying or disapproves of what they are saying.

So you think Broaddus went and "cleared it with Jerry first" when he decided to say that guys in the locker room were questioning the coaching?

You contradict your own thought process in this post, man.

I don't think Broaddus or Mickey have any idea what the front office guys are thinking or planning.

Jmo.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I love this change!

1. You put a former QB and QB coach upstairs to help the line coach read coverages and disguises vs various sets, giving Callahan immediate information on the back end vs a certain set and package...valuable information for the play caller who is likely watching the point of attack.

2. The play goes through the head coach who knows the offense better than anyone else, I hope, who can also remind Romo of the situation when necessary...it puts him in the QB's ear all the time but also during timeouts to provide key reminders....makes perfect sense when JG is supposedly managing game situations.

Now, whether or not it Impacts today's game outcome is another matter. Players still have to perform; Callahan is still calling plays; defense is still a sieve facing Eli. But I love the change in theory.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Maybe it will help, Romo was about as bad as I've ever seen him last week.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
I love this change!

1. You put a former QB and QB coach upstairs to help the line coach read coverages and disguises vs various sets, giving Callahan immediate information on the back end vs a certain set and package...valuable information for the play caller who is likely watching the point of attack.

2. The play goes through the head coach who knows the offense better than anyone else, I hope, who can also remind Romo of the situation when necessary...it puts him in the QB's ear all the time but also during timeouts to provide key reminders....makes perfect sense when JG is supposedly managing game situations.

Now, whether or not it Impacts today's game outcome is another matter. Players still have to perform; Callahan is still calling plays; defense is still a sieve facing Eli. But I love the change in theory.

I agree! While it's popular to act like Garrett is an idiot, he played QB in the NFL! He is a great person to help Romo on the field, something he had done until this year. Garrett may or may not be a great NFL coach in the end but I believe while he is here, he should have a say in the offense.

silver

Reaction score
I don't know which one is the better play caller between Garrett and Callahan. They should let Romo call his own plays. It couldn't hurt considering the coaches' track record so far.