Jim Burt says Canty is going to be a "Star".

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Nors said:
Proof is in the pudding! We will be a 3-4 defense in majority of snaps. Howard not here, Ellis ***** slapped and Glover gets his role.

This is about the future - Parcells style.

How is the Losman hot pants Favre escapade going over in Canada? That "West coast" open mindedness might no go over well North of the tundra line....

You are Darren Howard obsessed. Where's Trevor Pryce?

Maybe you should try discussing football and quit being petty.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I like Nors' 3-4 nickel idea.

If we can't stop people with 11 men on the field, let's try 12. ;)

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
da_boyz_mk said:
well all things considering, i haven't heard anything bad about canty's ability and potential yet. hopefully he'll be a huge steal for us.

With our drafts Post-Jimmy, I think its about time we start making picks like this. IMO, Parcells has already hit on alot of steals. You could call Jones a steal since he was the 5th RB picked in the draft, and we got Spears as well through the trade. Witten wasn't a bad pick eitehr, since he was slated to go as high as the 1st round. I think Brady James, if he plays up to his potential in his less cerebral role in the 3-4, could be an excellent pick as well.

Kilyin

Reaction score
I like Nors' 3-4 nickel idea.

If we can't stop people with 11 men on the field, let's try 12.

Yeah, Nors new defense, the 3-4 nickel, dime, and quarter. It's going to revolutionize football.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Yes, I'm another one that will try to pee in the fire here.

Canty seems to be the real deal right now. And when I began looking at him last year, I was hoping to be wowed. I mean, his measureables were awesome.

But the times I saw him, I came away unimpressed. He held his ground nicely, but I never saw him dominate (I only watched about five of his games). In his defense, he did suffer some injuries (yet, even that's a concern).

Maybe, he just needs to mature and receive good coaching.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
junk said:
You are Darren Howard obsessed. (YES GLAD WE DIDN'T DO THAT TURKEY TRADE THE 4-3ONITES SAID WOULD HAPPEN.....Where's Trevor Pryce? UNFORTUNATELY IN DENVER, DUDE IS A STUD.

Maybe you should try discussing football and quit being petty.

If we had an honest, fair duel system I'd call you 10 paces but we are now civilized and hide behind keyboards..

I'm just stuffing it back at those that do the same in spades to me. Capiche?

Manster68

Reaction score
Hey Mike and Nors,

I don't care if Bill installs a 62 stack Monster (like in the movie "All the Right Moves"). As long as the defense is effective and puts W's on the board for the Cowboys.

Even if Dallas mixes it up only 75-25%, it will still give the opposing offensive coordinators fits the week prior.

Manster68

Reaction score
I still believe the two biggest holes the Cowboys had last year were PASS RUSH and RUNNING BACK DEPTH. Of course, key injuries to Glenn and Campbell didn't help matters any.

Those two holes were addressed this offseason quite nicely.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Bizwah said:
Yes, I'm another one that will try to pee in the fire here.

Canty seems to be the real deal right now. And when I began looking at him last year, I was hoping to be wowed. I mean, his measureables were awesome.

But the times I saw him, I came away unimpressed. He held his ground nicely, but I never saw him dominate (I only watched about five of his games). In his defense, he did suffer some injuries (yet, even that's a concern).

Maybe, he just needs to mature and receive good coaching.

Canty WAS the UVA defense. They imploded without him.

I think 104 tackles and 6 sacks from the DE position in a 3-4 set speaks for itself.

Bizwah

Reaction score
VACowboy said:
Canty WAS the UVA defense. They imploded without him.

I think 104 tackles and 6 sacks from the DE position in a 3-4 set speaks for itself.

Really?

The games I saw him play just didn't impress me. I remember really wanting to see him stick out in their bowl game in 2003 (Canty's Jr year). I think they played Pitt.......anyway, Canty was invisible.

104 tackles is impressive.......Maybe I didn't pay attention, or he just didn't play well in the games I watched.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
When I saw that he was still available during the draft, I was hoping like crazy we would take him. Needless to say, I was pumped when we did.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Defensive Linemen
Chris Canty, UVA (104 tkls, 10.5 TFL, 7.0 sacks)

7 sacks ;)

http://www.stattrackinc.com/content.php?Source=article&LeagueID=&ArticleID=3710

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS: 2004-- Team captain who was having an All-American type of season until injuring his knee against Syracuse in the fourth game ...was leading ACC defensive linemen in tackling with an average of 7.5 tackles per game ...he was also third in the conference at the time with seven tackles for loss ...led the team in tackling in two of the four games he played ... also had at least one tackle for loss in each game ...team-leading nine tackles in the opener against Temple ... also caused a fumble in that contest ...four tackles, including two for loss, against North Carolina ... led the team in tackling for the second time in three games with 10 stops in a win over Akron ...had three tackles for loss, including his only sack of the season ...made seven tackles before getting injured in his final game against Syracuse.

http://virginiasports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/canty_chris00.html

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Manster68 said:
I still believe the two biggest holes the Cowboys had last year were PASS RUSH and RUNNING BACK DEPTH. Of course, key injuries to Glenn and Campbell didn't help matters any.

Those two holes were addressed this offseason quite nicely.
CB? FS?

silver

Reaction score
3-4, 4-3 it's all the same. ware will play OLB on the 3-4 and DE on the 4-3. he's still the same player he just will have to put down his hand on the ground some of the time. and khalen thorton the same. so enough about all this 3-4 vs 4-3 discussion. if ware or thorton are on the field they are interchangeable. heck charles haley played strictly 3-4 with the niners and won 2 titles. he then played exclusively at de here and won 3 more. it's not the scheme that matters it's the player. and wether he can put some pressure or not.

Manster68

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:

Now Big Dog...

... I said the two biggest holes - not the only holes. When your team is 6-10, I guarantee you that there are more than two holes.

The way I see it is this.

PASS RUSH - When the pass rush is weak, then even the best secondaries get exposed, opposing teams drives get sustained, the defense wears down, you end up giving up a lot of points, and your offense is forced to play uphill.

Running game - When the running game is weak, defenses concentrate on the pass, drives get stalled, your defense gets on the field more and gets worn out, thus giving up points and you are forced to play uphill.

Sounds a bit like last season right? When there were players like Marcellis Wiley and Daleroy Stewart (and others) not getting to the QB (as Glover and Ellis were constantly double teamed). Also, running backs like Eddie George that took a year and a half to find a hole during the absence of Julius Jones.

When the pass rush improves (like I think it will), watch all of the other facets of the team fall into place. I also have more faith that Marion Barber and Anthony Thomas succeeding than a broken down Eddie George.

This team got so much deeper than last year it is amazing.

Kilyin

Reaction score
heck charles haley played strictly 3-4 with the niners and won 2 titles. he then played exclusively at de here and won 3 more. it's not the scheme that matters it's the player. and wether he can put some pressure or not.

Unfortunate that Charles Haleys don't grow on trees. Dallas has sure been looking for another one for a long time.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Nors said:
If we had an honest, fair duel system I'd call you 10 paces but we are now civilized and hide behind keyboards..

I'm just stuffing it back at those that do the same in spades to me. Capiche?

:laugh2:

You're hilarious. All the reasons you listed for not wanting Howard where conveniently ignored when discussing Pryce.

Gee, Howard is a top tier, double digit sack producing DE. Wouldn't that have been a nice addition to the team? But you didn't want him because he impeded your precious 3-4. No one is discussing it anymore but you anyway. I think we are all happy with the draft, none of us really expected all the cards to fall that way.

Call me out? Why don't you do it by having legitimate football discussions? You can try to dish it out, but you can't take it. I smell some serious insecurities on your part.

smashmouth

Benched
Reaction score
We act like we're playing for opposite teams here. It doesn't matter, we will see Saturday what we'll be running and let's root for a Super Bowl to come home and kiss and make up...hahaha :)