Twitter: Jim Garrett passes away

Diehardblues

Reaction score
My heart goes out to the Garrett family in this time of mourning.

The Garretts family connection to Cowboys Football touches all generations and eras going back to Landry and Jimmy .

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The elder Garrett first joined the Cowboys as a scout in 1968 and spent 36 of the next 38 years coaching or scouting in the NFL, including the last 17 of his career with the Cowboys. He wrote the original scouting report on Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman, the No. 1 pick in the 1989 draft.

Jim Garrett was part of four Super Bowl teams in Dallas, including the championship teams from the 1992, 1993 and 1995 seasons. He was an assistant with the New York Giants, New Orleans and Cleveland.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jim-garrett-cowboys-coach-jason-garrett-s-dad-dies-at-87-021018

cej757

Reaction score
Wasn't he the only one standing on the table to draft Randy Moss but Jerry listened to Chan Gailey who didn't want Him?

Rayman70

Reaction score
So did I. Christmas Day 2012. Fathers Day and Christmas Day are the toughest days of the year for me. Hang in there to all the fans who have lost a mum or dad. Same to the Garrett families
My story is similar to yours.Lost my Dad a week before Thanksgiving in 2013..he just stopped breathing while apparently he fell asleep in his recliner watching his fave Western. No warning that it was his time,although we all knew he had copd and prostate cancer. You always think a loved one has longer than they do I guess. Was weird because we talked just 2 days before and NEVER did he sound like he was at deaths door. But like you said..Holiday season and Fathers day seems difficult for me without fail. My own kids and wife help get me through it...I feel like he passed the baton to me as the family patriarch,hard to explain. Jason Garrett I am sure feels this exact way. My Dad was my best friend,period..only my wife and God himself is in my inner circle. Good post.God Bless.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Something cool I forgot...My dad would always call me right before and after a Dallas game,no matter the outcome. THAT year in 2013 when he passed,Dallas had a game a few days later,I believe they won,but anyways...about 5 minutes after the game I received a phone call from HIS CELL! I picked up and heard garbled words..then a dial tone...never again did that occur. I believe maybe that was his spirit or energy trying to let me know he was ok AND STILL ABLE TO SEE DALLAS PLAY. Called my mother and she said that the phone(my dads) was dead and in a kitchen drawer so she simply had no answer for it... Anyone else have a story similar ?Thought I would share that with you guys.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Could you all imagine getting a call like that? I was totally puzzled and freaked out for 2 days.

ologan

Reaction score
Something cool I forgot...My dad would always call me right before and after a Dallas game,no matter the outcome. THAT year in 2013 when he passed,Dallas had a game a few days later,I believe they won,but anyways...about 5 minutes after the game I received a phone call from HIS CELL! I picked up and heard garbled words..then a dial tone...never again did that occur. I believe maybe that was his spirit or energy trying to let me know he was ok AND STILL ABLE TO SEE DALLAS PLAY. Called my mother and she said that the phone(my dads) was dead and in a kitchen drawer so she simply had no answer for it... Anyone else have a story similar ?Thought I would share that with you guys.
My dad is still with us at 93, and a Cowboys fan like me. We've been to games at the Cotton Bowl when they played there, and still the Cosboys fire burns bright. The story I have involves my deceased father in law, another big Cowboys fan. Now I had never missed either listening to or watching a Cowboys-Commanders game since I started following them in 1961. This includes my time overseas, thanks to Armed Forces radio network, or the MARS network. Anyway, we live in NE Georgia, and he had passed earlier in the year we had moved. I was looking forward to watching the 'Boys-Skins game to be televised on Sunday, and the company we had over were due to leave before the game started. Well, the poor lady who was visiting fell and broke her arm when they were leaving, and I put both of them in my vehicle and took them to the nearest facility for this, which was over 50 miles away. I knew my string of watching or listening to the Boys-Skins game was about to be over. I left the hospital later that afternoon, dark thirty, and headed home in the mountains, where there is a very iffy chance of getting any clear radio signal. I was hoping to at least get a score update from an Atlanta station to see how the game was going. I couldn't find anything but static! I shook my head, and just talked to heaven and said " Well, Don (my deceased father in law), looks like the string is broken!" At that instant, I picked up a radio feed, and the announcer said, " Quincy Carter brings them up to the line..." It was Brad Sham talking, and they were beginning the 4th quarter of the game. I had no Idea where it came from, but I was able to listen to the final quarter, and the post game show, to the final interview, when I turned into my driveway, and lost the feed. I did hear during a station identification that the station was out of Waco, Texas. Don't ask me how it happened......I think he heard me up there, and sent a skip my way, and my string was intact. Still is to this day! By the way, the Cowboys won!!!!!
If people don't believe this can happen, you and I would beg to differ!

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Very Unfortunate news to see this morning. I send my condolences to the Garrett family I know this is not an easy time for any of them.

Rayman70

Reaction score
My dad is still with us at 93, and a Cowboys fan like me. We've been to games at the Cotton Bowl when they played there, and still the Cosboys fire burns bright. The story I have involves my deceased father in law, another big Cowboys fan. Now I had never missed either listening to or watching a Cowboys-Commanders game since I started following them in 1961. This includes my time overseas, thanks to Armed Forces radio network, or the MARS network. Anyway, we live in NE Georgia, and he had passed earlier in the year we had moved. I was looking forward to watching the 'Boys-Skins game to be televised on Sunday, and the company we had over were due to leave before the game started. Well, the poor lady who was visiting fell and broke her arm when they were leaving, and I put both of them in my vehicle and took them to the nearest facility for this, which was over 50 miles away. I knew my string of watching or listening to the Boys-Skins game was about to be over. I left the hospital later that afternoon, dark thirty, and headed home in the mountains, where there is a very iffy chance of getting any clear radio signal. I was hoping to at least get a score update from an Atlanta station to see how the game was going. I couldn't find anything but static! I shook my head, and just talked to heaven and said " Well, Don (my deceased father in law), looks like the string is broken!" At that instant, I picked up a radio feed, and the announcer said, " Quincy Carter brings them up to the line..." It was Brad Sham talking, and they were beginning the 4th quarter of the game. I had no Idea where it came from, but I was able to listen to the final quarter, and the post game show, to the final interview, when I turned into my driveway, and lost the feed. I did hear during a station identification that the station was out of Waco, Texas. Don't ask me how it happened......I think he heard me up there, and sent a skip my way, and my string was intact. Still is to this day! By the way, the Cowboys won!!!!!
Very cool Story!!!!!!!Awesome. The power of God and the human spirit.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I'm really pulling for JG this season. Class act and boy maybe he isn't Bill Belichick but maybe he doesnt need to be. The team seems to love him dearly. That has gotta say something. That said,its about living up to expectations in this league.

Rayman70

Reaction score
BTW...enjoy every moment with your dad. The little moments matter. Even some of the things he may do that rub you the wrong way.I found that out after mine passed. I found myself wanting for those times where he irritated me to no end lol....Does that sound nuts? Prolly does..but I miss that.