Jimmy Johnson hasn’t heard from Jerry Jones other than statement

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have to remember Landry initially snubbed Jerry and the ROH. It wasn’t until years later Tom finally agreed.

The ROH really has no meaning beyond the walls of Cowboys fans as we couldn’t care less about other teams wall of fames.

Jimmy made the only recognition he was truly wanting as his emotions openly illustrated. HOF
Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson's relationships with Jerry Jones are not similar. I am not certain equating 'Landry snubbing Jones' with the interpersonal dynamic between Johnson and Jones is accurate.

Also, Landry was the Dallas Cowboys decades before Jones entered the picture. Landry required zero public acknowledgment or accolade rubber stamped endorsed by Jones.

On the other hand, Johnson set milestones with the franchise in a brief period. Johnson does not require validation from Jones also but I am certain he wants the recognition that should be afford to anyone who helped achieve (multiple) National Football League championships. Johnson understands the conundrum Jones' vindictiveness mires the entire situation and has likely made his peace with it. Wish the same could be said for Jones.

dfense

Reaction score
Jerry is such a scumbag
So is Jimmy. Walking away from a possible 5 time SB team because a hissy fit tantrum. He screwed those 53 players out of possible HOF futures and a lot of $. His ego was every bit as big as Jerry's.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For the players to be angry at him, and I imagine there were some pretty angry Miami players when he left them too, they must have hid the riff between them pretty well.

There are some things that have come out, like the draft war room that Wannstedt had to talk Johnson into, that the players were unaware of at the time. I would be angrier more at Booger than Johnson.

And just what does that say about the players back then? Angry at their former HC and placing the blame on him for not going 4 in a row? Were they children, did they need Daddy to tuck them in and make them earn their money?

One thing that is certain, had Johnson not left when he did, it would have gotten worse because Booger was getting more needy for the attention and Johnson knew it. It could have blown sky high that season had he stayed. Booger was no longer asking for attention, he was demanding it.

So, I wonder how the fans and media are going to handle Johnson in the HOF and Booger's pettiness not putting him in the ROH. And what would happen if he decided to do that now?

The irony of his is that Booger is in the HOF because Johnson gave him the opportunity or he most likely wouldn't even be in the NFL, let alone own the Cowboys. What a pathetic insecure petty little man.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So is Jimmy. Walking away from a possible 5 time SB team because a hissy fit tantrum. He screwed those 53 players out of possible HOF futures and a lot of $. His ego was every bit as big as Jerry's.
You are aware that it wasn't Johnson that had the tantrum? He didn't screw those players out of anything, they did that to themselves. Ego? Yep, agree with that, a man's own worst enemy.

DFWJC

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-heard-from-jerry-jones-other-than-statement/

Jimmy Johnson made a point when he named some of the people he has heard from since being elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2020.

“Oh, I’ve gotten so many it’s hard to say [who was most special to hear from],” Johnson said Tuesday during the Fox Sports news conference. “Jeffery Lurie from the Eagles. Dean Spanos from the LA Chargers. Several owners. Of course, former players. Michael Irvin, Emmitt [Smith], on and on. It’s been great.”

The obvious name he didn’t mention was Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

“No, I haven’t heard anything,” Johnson said, not elaborating.

Jones released a statement through the team congratulating his former teammate, coach and friend the day of the announcement and now faces pressure to put Johnson in the Cowboys’ Ring of Honor.

Jones and Johnson are the team’s only Hall of Famers not in the Cowboys’ Ring of Honor.

Johnson’s tenure in Dallas, of course, ended badly. After back-to-back Super Bowls, Johnson and Jones agreed to disagree . . . and to part ways.

“It was the right thing because I was ready to move on,” Johnson said. “I’ve never second-guessed myself on the ending. For me, it was never a bad thing. I was happy to move on with my life.”

Johnson, though, revealed that he later found out some of his former Cowboys players were not happy with him over his departure. The Cowboys didn’t three-peat and won only one other championship before the team of the 1990s fell apart, and many believe they should have become the dynasty the Patriots now are.

“Troy [Aikman] had dinner with me many years ago, and I didn’t realize how angry some of the players were,” Johnson said. “I thought they would have understood, but they didn’t understand. It hit me one night at dinner at my house that, geez, the players that I love are angry that I left. I said, ‘If they only knew.’ I was ready to move on. I felt bad about that, and I feel bad about that to this day for them. I don’t feel bad for me.”

"Johnson’s tenure in Dallas, of course, ended badly. After back-to-back Super Bowls, Johnson and Jones agreed to disagree . . . and to part ways."

“It was the right thing because I was ready to move on,” Johnson said. “I’ve never second-guessed myself on the ending. For me, it was never a bad thing. I was happy to move on with my life.”

People around here tend to selectively forget that it was really a mutual thing. Semantics or not, that is what it was. Regardless of outsiders writing books on it or in the heat of the moment comments made ina bar...or whatever, if you ask the actual people involved they will tell you it was mutual.

And btw, Jerry DID very publically congratulate Jimmy on getting in the HOF. He just apparently has not called him directly, just as Jimmy did not call him directly.
I think both should though.

shabazz

Reaction score
“We're so happy that the Hall of Fame has recognized Jimmy Johnson for what he is. A great coach," said Jones, who hired Johnson as Cowboys head coach after buying the team in 1989.

"To Jimmy I say, 'The stars were aligned and our dreams came true when we joined the Dallas Cowboys. And on behalf of the Cowboys, and our fans all over the world, I say congratulations Jimmy. We're proud of you."

That’s fairly nice, for a scumbag.

In the make believe world of social media, his words mean nothing

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Johnson’s tenure in Dallas, of course, ended badly. After back-to-back Super Bowls, Johnson and Jones agreed to disagree . . . and to part ways."

People around here tend to selectively forget that it was really a mutual thing. Semantics or not, that is what it was. Regardless of outsiders wring books on it or whatever, if you ask the actual people involved they will tell you it was mutual.
It was a mutual divorce.

What some don't want to accept is that Johnson was only here long enough to get himself established in the NFL and then move back to the ocean. He would have never stayed for 5 in a row and I don't think even 4. He was already talking to JAX about an elevated role with them.

Johnson was an upwardly mobile kind of coach, he looked at success as the opportunity to move on for more success......every move a means to an end. I think he was content to move on after that 2nd ring and I believe he felt he was leaving them fully stocked.

And Booger has spent the last 25 years trying to prove he's the equal to Jimmy Johnson.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is one of the few that are making any sense in this thread.

Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson are not friends. They don’t call each other. And that’s ok. They don’t have to be friends. They are a couple guys who worked together over 25 years ago.

Jerry made a very respectful and complimentary statement regarding Jimmys induction.

Did Jimmy Johnson publicly and personally congratulate Jerry Jones on his induction into the hall of fame?

I don’t remember hearing about it. I also don’t remember CowboysZone getting outraged about it.

Well, if you didn't hear about it, then how could it have possibly happened. Excellent argument. But, the fly in the honey here is that Jimmy tweeted a congrats AND congratulated him in person at the super bowl in Atlanta. AND, they have a much longer history than working together in Dallas. They were roommates and played football together in college at Arkansas.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I get it, but goes both ways. If jimmy never bothered to apologize, why would jerry. I think that’s how he sees it, not saying it’s right

I agree completely, I don't get why posters here think Jerry is supposed to jump up and down like a game show contestant because Jimmy went into the HOF. I haven't read the full thread but I wonder what Jimmy said when Jerry went into the HOF.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Jimmy isn't perfect in the situation but a majority of the content I heard during the breakup and directly from Jimmy and others there all has the same elements....group of guys having drinks and toasting at table, an inebriated Jerry walking up with an attitude and trying to mouth off, the group at the table not saying anything and then going about their partying and Jerry getting his panties in a wad and then later repeating the 50 coach phrase while being more inebriated at the bar. Jimmy confronted him the next day and the rest is history. So yeah I put that on Jerry because he was the guy who let the sauce make him feel puny in a social situation and act like a psycho ex girlfriend. Did Jimmy really want to leave anyways and used this as an excuse? Could be...but I think they had another year left. Overall I think this part of the story...a call to Jimmy...doesn't matter. But I do think Jerry is always the baby in the story. It's why he held on to Jason...to prove he's a football guy. Still hasn't worked.

Kaiser

Reaction score
agreed. Just tired of the blame Jerry for 100% of the rift with Jimmy when both men were at fault and were too egotistic to make it work for a couple more seasons.

Both guys had a role in the 1990's Dynasty. But there was a third part of the triangle, the GM of the Vikings who made the Herschel Walker trade should also go into the Cowboys Ring of Honor.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It was a mutual divorce.

What some don't want to accept is that Johnson was only here long enough to get himself established in the NFL and then move back to the ocean. He would have never stayed for 5 in a row and I don't think even 4. He was already talking to JAX about an elevated role with them.

Johnson was an upwardly mobile kind of coach, he looked at success as the opportunity to move on for more success......every move a means to an end. I think he was content to move on after that 2nd ring and I believe he felt he was leaving them fully stocked.

And Booger has spent the last 25 years trying to prove he's the equal to Jimmy Johnson.
Yep
He was exhausted and, due to his coaching style and personality, ALWAYS moved on after 4-5 years. No exceptions.
Plus, he just badly wanted to move back to Florida.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jimmy isn't perfect in the situation but a majority of the content I heard during the breakup and directly from Jimmy and others there all has the same elements....group of guys having drinks and toasting at table, an inebriated Jerry walking up with an attitude and trying to mouth off, the group at the table not saying anything and then going about their partying and Jerry getting his panties in a wad and then later repeating the 50 coach phrase while being more inebriated at the bar. Jimmy confronted him the next day and the rest is history. So yeah I put that on Jerry because he was the guy who let the sauce make him feel puny in a social situation and act like a psycho ex girlfriend. Did Jimmy really want to leave anyways and used this as an excuse? Could be...but I think they had another year left. Overall I think this part of the story...a call to Jimmy...doesn't matter. But I do think Jerry is always the baby in the story. It's why he held on to Jason...to prove he's a football guy. Still hasn't worked.
The riff was deep and getting deeper. For Wannstedt to have to talk Johnson into coming into the war room after what Booger asked him to do, the pot wasn't simmering, it was already building toward a rolling boil.

I think for Booger to even approach putting Johnson in the ROH is even worse now. Frankly, I was surprised at Johnson getting in the HOF with his amount of time in the NFL and I think Booger thought him not putting him in the ROH might just keep that from happening. I'd bet he was infuriated when he heard Johnson was voted in. He's too petty and small not to be.