Twitter: Jimmy Johnson on disciplining players

morasp

Reaction score
On Dez Bryant reportedly missing meetings and what he did as a coach in similar situations:

Johnson:
"Well, Colin, we wouldn’t accept that. And let me explain myself: It’s been misconstrued a little bit as far as my approach to players. I always said there’s a different standard for all the players. Every year I told the guys I said, ‘Listen, I’m going to be very consistent. I’m going to treat everyone of you differently. And how I treat you is: Do you abide by the rules and regulations? Do you do what we ask you to do? And, are you a good player?’ For instance I said maybe I might cut John Roper for sleeping in a meeting, you know, because he was not a good player, he was late to a lot of meetings and he did things that we didn’t want him to. Where as if Troy Aikman would have done it -- and he wouldn’t have done it -- but if Troy Aikman would’ve fell asleep in a meeting, I would’ve disciplined him.

Cowherd: So you would've disciplined him?

Johnson: "Oh without question, but I wouldn’t have cut them. See that’s the difference. And that’s why people say, ‘Oh he’s got a different standard for the great players.’ Yeah, I’ve got a different standard, but I expect them to meet the rules and regulations and do everything that we aks them to do. I don’t want them to break the rules."

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/dmn-...nt-missing-meetings-we-wouldnt-accept.358481/

Doomsday101

Reaction score
On Dez Bryant reportedly missing meetings and what he did as a coach in similar situations:

Johnson:
"Well, Colin, we wouldn’t accept that. And let me explain myself: It’s been misconstrued a little bit as far as my approach to players. I always said there’s a different standard for all the players. Every year I told the guys I said, ‘Listen, I’m going to be very consistent. I’m going to treat everyone of you differently. And how I treat you is: Do you abide by the rules and regulations? Do you do what we ask you to do? And, are you a good player?’ For instance I said maybe I might cut John Roper for sleeping in a meeting, you know, because he was not a good player, he was late to a lot of meetings and he did things that we didn’t want him to. Where as if Troy Aikman would have done it -- and he wouldn’t have done it -- but if Troy Aikman would’ve fell asleep in a meeting, I would’ve disciplined him.

Cowherd: So you would've disciplined him?

Johnson: "Oh without question, but I wouldn’t have cut them. See that’s the difference. And that’s why people say, ‘Oh he’s got a different standard for the great players.’ Yeah, I’ve got a different standard, but I expect them to meet the rules and regulations and do everything that we aks them to do. I don’t want them to break the rules."

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/dmn-...nt-missing-meetings-we-wouldnt-accept.358481/

That is all well and good but he does not say what the discipline was used when Emmitt would fall asleep in meeting something Irvin and Emmitt both agreed would happen fairly often. lol

I get that star players will not be given the same punishment as a JAG it is just the way it is. Emmitt never once was benched because of his sleeping but then he was winning NFL rushing titles and helping this team win championships.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jimmy also said he'd start Romo when he comes back because he believes it will take Romo to beat good teams with this defense.
Probably so. We're fixing to find out in these next couple of games.

morasp

Reaction score
I remember Aikman telling about getting left at the stadium after beating the 49's in the play offs. He was delayed in the locker room due to interviews and Jimmy told the bus driver to go.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are people assuming Jimmy is being critical of the Cowboys' handling of Dez here? Because I don't think that's what he was saying. I think he's agreeing with the team disciplining Dez differently than they would a player who is not as good.

I do agree with him about Romo, btw. The rest of the team is not good enough to beat the really good teams in this league. They're going to need the offense to overproduce in some of those games.

Hoov

Reaction score
I remember Aikman telling about getting left at the stadium after beating the 49's in the play offs. He was delayed in the locker room due to interviews and Jimmy told the bus driver to go.
LOL, that is funny.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The Cap is an old and lame excuse.

Since the Cap begun 13 NFC teams have figured out how to make a championship game .Only Dallas, Detroit and Washington have not.

Salary cap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What year did the NFL salary cap start?

The cap was first introduced for the 1994 season and was initially $34.6 million. Both the cap and the floor are adjusted annually based on the league's revenues, and they have increased each year.

082116-nfl-cowboys1.vadapt.767.high.58.png

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Are people assuming Jimmy is being critical of the Cowboys' handling of Dez here? Because I don't think that's what he was saying. I think he's agreeing with the team disciplining Dez differently than they would a player who is not as good.

I think that is exactly what he is saying. He is saying he would not cut Dez but he would probably fine him and tell him he (Jimmy) was very disappointed in him. Makes me wonder, though, who JG would cut...

...with Jerry's permission, of course.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Jimmy with the revisionist history. No coach treats all players the same. I remember the LT and Tuna story when LT asked how much are the fines for being late and he gave Parcells 1000 bucks and said I will see you next month.