Twitter: Jimmy Johnson on disciplining players

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Depends? Is "this era" the last few years when the team has gone deep in the playoffs when healthy? Or is the period where we had a dynasty team winning Super Bowls?

No, let me guess. "this era" means the only the period in between that people can complain about.
Judge for yourself. Like I said .

Are you comfortable that the Cowboys have fared as well as most of the teams since the Cap has had its effects or is it simply another excuse for our lack of success.?

Are other teams still blaming the Cap?

I call it a lame excuse and presenting an argument to support it.I challenge you to provide your argument .

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Jimmy era is truly the last time we've had any real discipline with our franchise controlled by or head coach .
sorry holmes but no...

jimmy ran the the insanity that was miami of the 80s then came here ot the "white house" cowboys.

jimmy wanted to win.

he drafted straight knucklesheads with the dolphins after he left here.

jimmy was a lot of things but mostly he was able to recognize and utilize talent.

emmitt broke tons of rules. so jimmy started punishing guys who emmitt liked instead.
because he wasnt taking even a single carry away in punishment.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wonder how much discipline is on any team though. I wonder if this is a Cowboy problem or a league problem. Like I'd want to know what the Falcons would do if Julio Jones didn't show up for a treatment and didn't check in for 2 days or what the Patriots would do if one of their main players didn't show up for a couple days.
That's a great excuse. So,you don't think it has any effect to not have more discipline?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Are you comfortable that the Cowboys have fared as well as most of the teams since the Cap has had its effects or is it simply another excuse for our lack of success.?

I call it a lame excuse and presenting an argument to support it.I challenge you to provide your argument .
I think he was saying that you can't cut people, especially stars willy-nilly because of the cap.....not blaming the cap for our problems

Sage3030

Reaction score
I said NFC. Would you like the list of AFC teams which have made at least a championship game during same time frame ?

Point is more teams are figuring the Cap out than not. Are you comfortable with being in our tier of teams this era? The cap is a lame excuse.

Considering the cap started in '94, and we won our last championship in '95, yes I'm glad to be among the teams that have won a super bowl in the salary cap era.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Budgets aren't a lame excuse. The reason we had a drop off 15 years ago was poor coaching and poor talent acquisition, but the salary cap kept the team from using FA to cover for talent acquisition shortfalls. During the 90's Super Bowl teams Jerry threw money at key FAs and trade acquisitions, we had backup DL making more than a lot of starters in the league.

We can't do that anymore and its part of the reason for the dropoff. The overall key to success is to draft well, which the team has done for the last three years.

The salary cap isn't an excuse, its a reason. If there was no cap Jerry would have been able to firehose money around and make the bad teams of ten years ago into 9-7 teams.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Budgets aren't a lame excuse. The reason we had a drop off 15 years ago was poor coaching and poor talent acquisition, but the salary cap kept the team from using FA to cover for talent acquisition shortfalls. During the 90's Super Bowl teams Jerry threw money at key FAs and trade acquisitions, we had backup DL making more than a lot of starters in the league.

We can't do that anymore and its part of the reason for the dropoff. The overall key to success is to draft well, which the team has done for the last three years.

The salary cap isn't an excuse, its a reason. If there was no cap Jerry would have been able to firehose money around and make the bad teams of ten years ago into 9-7 teams.
It was a reason for 5 years.....any cap problems can be fixed in a year or 2 tops.......15 years is about the FO, coaching and bad drafts

Kaiser

Reaction score
It was a reason for 5 years.....any cap problems can be fixed in a year or 2 tops.......15 years is about the FO, coaching and bad drafts

Sure, the Salary Cap didn't hire Dave Campo or draft Quincy Carter. But if the usual complaining is that we should still be a dynasty like the early 90's, the salary cap was put in place entirely to prevent that from happening.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Considering the cap started in '94, and we won our last championship in '95, yes I'm glad to be among the teams that have won a super bowl in the salary cap era.
Then why use the Cap as an excuse for this era was the original argument?

plymkr

Reaction score
That's a great excuse. So,you don't think it has any effect to not have more discipline?
You answered my question with a question. I wasn't making excuses, I was just throwing out a question on what this board thinks happens on other teams. Try having a discussion instead of an argument for once.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Jimmy is the last coach on Earth, with the maybe the exception of Switzer, that should ever talk about discipline on a football team. He was awful. He was tough as nails with some no name player that was prob. going to get cut anyway. But he didn't give a rats butts about what his players did, come to meetings, don't come to meetings, do drugs, don't do drugs, stab a team mate, don't stab a team mate, whatever you wanted to do was just fine with him, if you were a player. One that contributed on Sundays. I don't necessarily disagree with him either but I don't get all high and mighty about how to discipline players either.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I think the cap at times has hurt us when Dallas has gambled on player like WR Roy Williams where it cost cap wise but more importantly it cost us picks as in a 1st, 3rd and 6th. I felt the Joey Galloway trade was a mistake since we traded 2 #1's for him when most felt that instead of giving up picks with an aging Troy Aikman and other parts of the 90's team that the Cowboys would have been better served bringing in young talent for the future. I know the Galloway trade has been a long time ago but it has been moves like this that have ended up hurting the Cowboys in my view

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You answered my question with a question. I wasn't making excuses, I was just throwing out a question on what this board thinks happens on other teams. Try having a discussion instead of an argument for once.
If there's a particular player and team you want to discuss then fine. I may not be as familiar with how other teams or players are conducting their business though and not really in a position to offer much of a discussion .

Sage3030

Reaction score
Then why use the Cap as an excuse for this era was the original argument?

I don't know, I'd ask the person who brought that up.

Edit: but I'll take a shot at it.

I think he was saying it's easier to cut back then due to no salary cap ramifications.

JJ wasn't even here then. He was a pre-salary cap coach here.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

I think he was saying it's easier to cut back then due to no salary cap ramifications.

Exaclty....he used the cap as a reason players don't get cut for minor infractions.....accelerated cap hits can be a problem

Diehardblues

Reaction score

My argument is not about Jimmy and the pre cap era . That's how this argument was derailed or side discussion.

My argument was aimed at using the Cap as an excuse why we have struggled since.

Sage3030

Reaction score
My argument is not about Jimmy and the pre cap era . That's how this argument was derailed or side discussion.

My argument was aimed at using the Cap as an excuse why we have struggled since.

Ok. I don't see how the post you responded to was about that. Sorry.