Twitter: Jimmy Johnson on disciplining players

Bigdog

Reaction score
I heard of a story where Irvin was late for the team plane to Detroit. Irving was pulling up and Aikman told him that Irvin was here but Jimmy told the stewardess to shut the door. Aikman complained and told Jimmy it was Irvin. Jimmy told him we are leaving and he can find his own ride to Detroit. Irvin eventually did get to Detroit for the game but did not play the first series.

Reactions: BAT

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Jimmy treated players differently back in the day. The players knew it, he knew it and the media knew it.

One story goes that a JAG player was cut for sleeping in an meeting and a media member asked him what he would do if Troy fell asleep in a meeting and Jimmy said he would go over and tell him to wake up.

I think some people forget how unruly this team was during Jimmy AND Switzers time. Heck it is because of what those two let go on in dallas (white house, irvin in court, irvin going after player with scissors, haley acting crazy) that led to Jerry deciding he had to help clean up the image of the Cowboys and in doing so passing on Randy Moss and taking Greg Ellis.
I thought he would ask Aikman if he wanted a pillow.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
On Dez Bryant reportedly missing meetings and what he did as a coach in similar situations:

Johnson:
"Well, Colin, we wouldn’t accept that. And let me explain myself: It’s been misconstrued a little bit as far as my approach to players. I always said there’s a different standard for all the players. Every year I told the guys I said, ‘Listen, I’m going to be very consistent. I’m going to treat everyone of you differently. And how I treat you is: Do you abide by the rules and regulations? Do you do what we ask you to do? And, are you a good player?’ For instance I said maybe I might cut John Roper for sleeping in a meeting, you know, because he was not a good player, he was late to a lot of meetings and he did things that we didn’t want him to. Where as if Troy Aikman would have done it -- and he wouldn’t have done it -- but if Troy Aikman would’ve fell asleep in a meeting, I would’ve disciplined him.

Cowherd: So you would've disciplined him?

Johnson: "Oh without question, but I wouldn’t have cut them. See that’s the difference. And that’s why people say, ‘Oh he’s got a different standard for the great players.’ Yeah, I’ve got a different standard, but I expect them to meet the rules and regulations and do everything that we aks them to do. I don’t want them to break the rules."

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/dmn-...nt-missing-meetings-we-wouldnt-accept.358481/

...but see Jimmy. What if Troy Aikman was late often and missed meetings. You didn't answer that. You said "I disciplined him", but that is for one offence. What if it was 10 offenses? Would you cut Aikman? I mean, this is where we are with Dez.

Zordon

Reaction score
The Cap is an old and lame excuse.

Since the Cap begun 13 NFC teams have figured out how to make a championship game .Only Dallas, Detroit and Washington have not.
Huh? I'm talking about 'cutting' players on the spot.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
...but see Jimmy. What if Troy Aikman was late often and missed meetings. You didn't answer that. You said "I disciplined him", but that is for one offence. What if it was 10 offenses? Would you cut Aikman? I mean, this is where we are with Dez.
Jimmy was very verbal about who he was and what he wanted which was to win. The players knew he was driven to win and either you got on the boat to win his way or got off and moved to another team. Because of the way Jimmy coached in practice (see asthma field) his players didn't want to let him down or each other down. So Dez apparently does not make the connection to the potential damage he's creating by missing or being late. You have to find what motivates Dez and use it to flush out this behavior. I think Jimmy knew his team well enough and had the latitude to take action with things like this. Today if JG took action, Dez would go above his head and probably get relieved of his punishment.
You would never have Aikman being late to practice because Jimmy had Steve Walsh or another QB in the back of Aikman's mind to replace him if he did not respond. Jimmy treated each player different because each player is motivated differently.

Reactions: BAT

Kaiser

Reaction score

Since the Cap begun 13 NFC teams have figured out how to make a championship game .Only Dallas, Detroit and Washington have not.

So the NFL only has 16 teams now? Good to know....

mrmojo

Reaction score
I remember Aikman telling about getting left at the stadium after beating the 49's in the play offs. He was delayed in the locker room due to interviews and Jimmy told the bus driver to go.
Did the same with Irvin on trip to Detroit. Sat him out one series then put him back in LOL

CapnCook

Reaction score
I heard of a story where Irvin was late for the team plane to Detroit. Irving was pulling up and Aikman told him that Irvin was here but Jimmy told the stewardess to shut the door. Aikman complained and told Jimmy it was Irvin. Jimmy told him we are leaving and he can find his own ride to Detroit. Irvin eventually did get to Detroit for the game but did not play the first series.

And they went three and out and Michael was right back in there. I always wonder had they sustained the drive, or moreover scored, would Jimmy have left Michael on the bench? Jimmy's approach was very pragmatic.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So the NFL only has 16 teams now? Good to know....
I said NFC. Would you like the list of AFC teams which have made at least a championship game during same time frame ?

Point is more teams are figuring the Cap out than not. Are you comfortable with being in our tier of teams this era? The cap is a lame excuse.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Point is more teams are figuring the Cap out than not. Are you comfortable with being in our tier of teams this era? The cap is a lame excuse.

Depends? Is "this era" the last few years when the team has gone deep in the playoffs when healthy? Or is the period where we had a dynasty team winning Super Bowls?

No, let me guess. "this era" means the only the period in between that people can complain about.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
1brdsi.jpg

Ahhh...good times

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dallas and the U were 2 of the most undisciplined teams ever.......I have no clue where JJohnson got this zero tolerance reputation.......he didn't care what you did if you could play, period
But they played . Results do matter.

plymkr

Reaction score
The Jimmy era is truly the last time we've had any real discipline with our franchise controlled by or head coach .
I wonder how much discipline is on any team though. I wonder if this is a Cowboy problem or a league problem. Like I'd want to know what the Falcons would do if Julio Jones didn't show up for a treatment and didn't check in for 2 days or what the Patriots would do if one of their main players didn't show up for a couple days.

plymkr

Reaction score

Haha, detroit and washington sucks