JJT: Jason Garrett needs new approach to right kind of guys

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
It's not about fear. It's about respect. I learned a long time ago if employees fear you, but don't respect you...they'll slack off because they are not motivated and the job becomes a task. Of course, JJT wouldn't understand that because he's just a hack writer, out of touch with what it takes to run a successful business or even just a successful department.

Players may have feared Parcells and Jimmy, but more importantly they respected him. Why? Because they knew these guys could coach and if you didn't do what they wanted, they would find somebody that would do it...and just as importantly...have that player be more than a suitable replacement.

Garrett hasn't shown that. He hasn't shown that he can find a way to move on from players that either aren't doing what he wants or get injured. And last year exposed to its fullest extent. It's not all about fear of losing the job, it's about the player believing that if you do what he says...you'll become a better player for it and the team will win. But if the coach shows that he can't live without you, it makes the player wonder who is really benefiting from the relationship. If it's the coach, then the players just won't respect him.

YR

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not about fear. It's about respect. I learned a long time ago if employees fear you, but don't respect you...they'll slack off because they are not motivated and the job becomes a task. Of course, JJT wouldn't understand that because he's just a hack writer, out of touch with what it takes to run a successful business or even just a successful department.

Players may have feared Parcells and Jimmy, but more importantly they respected him. Why? Because they knew these guys could coach and if you didn't do what they wanted, they would find somebody that would do it...and just as importantly...have that player be more than a suitable replacement.

Garrett hasn't shown that. He hasn't shown that he can find a way to move on from players that either aren't doing what he wants or get injured. And last year exposed to its fullest extent. It's not all about fear of losing the job, it's about the player believing that if you do what he says...you'll become a better player for it and the team will win. But if the coach shows that he can't live without you, it makes the player wonder who is really benefiting from the relationship. If it's the coach, then the players just won't respect him.

YR

Players routinely go out of their way to say publicly that they respect Jason Garrett. Scandrick just did it again recently.

Fans just don't want to hear it and fall back on "what is he supposed to say?" As if not saying anything at all is not an option.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Players routinely go out of their way to say publicly that they respect Jason Garrett. Scandrick just did it again recently.

Fans just don't want to hear it and fall back on "what is he supposed to say?" As if not saying anything at all is not an option.

Actions speak louder than words.

YR

Doomsday101

Reaction score

YR

Yet this team plays hard for him. I do think it is a bit unfair. jimmy Johnson would lose 1 of the triplets and this team struggled to win games. Garrett lost his starting RB, his QB and his #1 WR for most of the year. hell if Jimmy lost Troy, Mike and Emmitt that team would not have won yet people will throw around injury are not an excuse? Reality is those injury matter a lot you can't replace those key parts of a team.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Yet this team plays hard for him.

Like Ro McClain who got a drug suspension and was terribly out of shape when he came back?

Or the lack of effort from players like Wilcox when it comes to tackling?

Or how it took FOUR YEARS for Claiborne to learn how to watch game film?

Or the debacle that Joseph Randle was this year after being given the starting RB spot?

Or how Kyle Orton couldn't wait to get out of here...to play in Buffalo? Or how Brandon Weeden did nothing but knock Garrett after he went to Houston?

YR

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Like Ro McClain who got a drug suspension and was terribly out of shape when he came back?

Or the lack of effort from players like Wilcox when it comes to tackling?

Or how it took FOUR YEARS for Claiborne to learn how to watch game film?

Or the debacle that Joseph Randle was this year after being given the starting RB spot?

Or how Kyle Orton couldn't wait to get out of here...to play in Buffalo? Or how Brandon Weeden did nothing but knock Garrett after he went to Houston?

YR

And players fail, that often is on the player themselves, they make choices just as Aaron Hernandez did is that on Belicheck or is that on the man himself? Too often people want to remove any blame for players action on the player. Dallas has benched players when possible for playing poorly, ask Bruce Carter. As for Weeden? he put points up in Dallas as well but defense continued to play pooly he goes to Houston with a very good defense and wow he wins and people want to act as if he carried Houston? BS. As I said Jimmy when he would lose 1 of 3 weapons this team faded yet with Garrett he loses all 3 of the top players on this team a RB who lead the NFL, a franchise QB and one of the top WR in the NFL and we lost what a shock.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actions speak louder than words.

YR

They can also be easily misinterpreted.

You're looking at a couple of high risk cases, some medical conditions, and a couple of legitimate slip ups, outside of any context re: how often similar setbacks affect other teams and other coaches, and concluding what you see in Dallas is a reflection of a lack of respect for Jason Garrett.

And I could paint a similar picture of player actions that reinforce the players' words on this topic. There's no shortage of actions that show this team has character and respect for its coach. What it lacks is a backup QB and a few defensive playmakers.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yet this team plays hard for him.

So he gets a participation trophy? How low is the bar set? Isn't getting your team to "play hard" the bare minimum that should be required of a coach?

I do think it is a bit unfair. jimmy Johnson would lose 1 of the triplets and this team struggled to win games. Garrett lost his starting RB, his QB and his #1 WR for most of the year. hell if Jimmy lost Troy, Mike and Emmitt that team would not have won yet people will throw around injury are not an excuse? Reality is those injury matter a lot you can't replace those key parts of a team.

But this isn't simply about one year, is it? But the complete body of work. Even if he's given a mulligan for last year, he went 8-8 for three years when he did have the players you mentioned.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
They can also be easily misinterpreted.

You're looking at a couple of high risk cases, some medical conditions, and a couple of legitimate slip ups, outside of any context re: how often similar setbacks affect other teams and other coaches, and concluding what you see in Dallas is a reflection of a lack of respect for Jason Garrett.

And I could paint a similar picture of player actions that reinforce the players' words on this topic. There's no shortage of actions that show this team has character and respect for its coach. What it lacks is a backup QB and a few defensive playmakers.

I disagree. I think Garrett stuck his neck out for Ro. McClain and Ro. McClain paid him back by getting suspended and coming back out of shape. Randy Gregory is on pace to get fined for more paychecks than career tackles he's made. Garrett was too worried with playing word police rather than being a coach when it came to Greg Hardy and Hardy supposedly showed up late and missed meetings. Joseph Randle was gifted the starting RB position and he turned into an embarrassment. Terrence Williams has never improved his catching mechanics. Lawrence just got suspended. Wilcox showed a complete lack of effort out there. Claiborne couldn't be bothered with figuring out how to watch game film, Scandrick was lucky to get out of a suspension, etc.

I could go on and on.

I think there are some players that respect Garrett, but as a whole I don't think this team has much respect for him. If there are those that 'play hard', it's because it's a job.

YR

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So he gets a participation trophy? How low is the bar set? Isn't getting your team to "play hard" the bare minimum that should be required of a coach?

But this isn't simply about one year, is it? But the complete body of work. Even if he's given a mulligan for last year, he went 8-8 for three years when he did have the players you mentioned.

No one was complaining in 2014, this team took some major injuries to 3 key offensive players again Jimmy struggled when only 1 of the key 3 was out of a game but somehow Jason is supposed to be better than that. I think as a HC he is under pressure to win and win now, I agree he has gone 8-8 and has replaced and rebuilt other areas of this team and more work is needed.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And players fail, that often is on the player themselves, they make choices just as Aaron Hernandez did is that on Belicheck or is that on the man himself? Too often people want to remove any blame for players action on the player.

Or in this case, absolve coaches of any blame and consistantly place it all on the players for anything that goes wrong.

Dallas has benched players when possible for playing poorly, ask Bruce Carter. As for Weeden? he put points up in Dallas as well but defense continued to play pooly he goes to Houston with a very good defense and wow he wins and people want to act as if he carried Houston? BS.

Also "BS" that Weeden is 'terrible', 'incompetent', and 'can't play' after being in Dallas for two years, but suddenly is capable of winning after just two weeks in Houston. And capable enough that the Texans re-signed him.

As I said Jimmy when he would lose 1 of 3 weapons this team faded yet with Garrett he loses all 3 of the top players on this team a RB who lead the NFL, a franchise QB and one of the top WR in the NFL and we lost what a shock.

And as I've said, Garrett's a .500 coach for his career, and not based on just one 'unlucky' season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No one was complaining in 2014, this team took some major injuries to 3 key offensive players again Jimmy struggled when only 1 of the key 3 was out of a game but somehow Jason is supposed to be better than that.

2 players. The team let Murray leave and mistakenly decided to put their faith in Joseph Randle, Garrett included. Jason isn't and will never be compared to Jimmy Johnson. And asking him to win a game or two without one or two players, no matter how key, isn't asking too much. The fact is that without Romo bailing them out, the house of cards collapsed.

I think as a HC he is under pressure to win and win now, I agree he has gone 8-8 and has replaced and rebuilt other areas of this team and more work is needed.

I agree about him being under pressure to win, as he should be. Barring injuries, there's no more excuses. After this many years, you've had more than enough time to 'build' whatever you needed to.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Or in this case, absolve coaches of any blame and consistantly place it all on the players for anything that goes wrong.

Also "BS" that Weeden is 'terrible', 'incompetent', and 'can't play' after being in Dallas for two years, but suddenly is capable of winning after just two weeks in Houston. And capable enough that the Texans re-signed him.

And as I've said, Garrett's a .500 coach for his career, and not based on just one 'unlucky' season.

I'm not absolving him of anything, his job is to win and outside of 2014 this team has struggled and as far as players I do put blame on them as well they are professionals getting paid money you damn right they deserve blame, coaches are not there to hold their fricken hands and make sure they behave themselves these are men not little boys and when fans excuse their behavior and put it on other crap like oh he had a bad childhood or it is the coaches fault that does tick me off because they are not boys they are men and should be treated as such. \

As for Weeden again he put up points in Dallas and fans were all over him but not the play of the defense who failed to maintain any type of lead. he went to Houston who has a defense that was a big difference but I watched Weeden his game was not much different in Houston.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
2 players. The team let Murray leave and mistakenly decided to put their faith in Joseph Randle, Garrett included. Jason isn't and will never be compared to Jimmy Johnson. And asking him to win a game or two without one or two players, no matter how key, isn't asking too much. The fact is that without Romo bailing them out, the house of cards collapsed.

I agree about him being under pressure to win, as he should be. Barring injuries, there's no more excuses. After this many years, you've had more than enough time to 'build' whatever you needed to.

It is not 2 players, it was not Jason who did not want Murray back he did and publicly stated that many times but there is a business side to this game as well and management was not going to pay that price. I'm not comparing Jason to Jimmy only pointing out that a HC like Johnson struggled when his top 3 was not there but Jason is expected to do more when losing his 3 that makes no sense at all. All I can say it without Troy this team was not winning crap and that was with Jimmy.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree. I think Garrett stuck his neck out for Ro. McClain and Ro. McClain paid him back by getting suspended and coming back out of shape. Randy Gregory is on pace to get fined for more paychecks than career tackles he's made. Garrett was too worried with playing word police rather than being a coach when it came to Greg Hardy and Hardy supposedly showed up late and missed meetings. Joseph Randle was gifted the starting RB position and he turned into an embarrassment. Terrence Williams has never improved his catching mechanics. Lawrence just got suspended. Wilcox showed a complete lack of effort out there. Claiborne couldn't be bothered with figuring out how to watch game film, Scandrick was lucky to get out of a suspension, etc.

I could go on and on.

I think there are some players that respect Garrett, but as a whole I don't think this team has much respect for him. If there are those that 'play hard', it's because it's a job.

YR

And I'd, of course, disagree with all of that.

Randle has an obvious and serious mental condition.

Hardy was a known character risk who is no longer on the team but whose issues were handled internally and not allowed to become a matter of public record.

Gregory's struggles are not public, could be mental or emotional, but were well known in advance of him being drafted.

Williams has worked hard become a good secondary WR in this league and it's about to pay off for him in the form of a second contract.

Mo has worked hard to overcome some of his learning limitations that have affected his zone coverage and to physically challenge the big WRs who gave him issues at the line early in his career.

I can go on and on, too. But the bottom line is that from top to bottom both the team and the management are behind Jason and support his leadership publicly from all angles. It's the fans who don't like the won/loss records who assume the shortcomings are with the coaching and the leadership.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not absolving him of anything, his job is to win and outside of 2014 this team has struggled and as far as players I do put blame on them as well they are professionals getting paid money you damn right they deserve blame, coaches are not there to hold their fricken hands and make sure they behave themselves these are men not little boys and when fans excuse their behavior and put it on other crap like oh he had a bad childhood or it is the coaches fault that does tick me off because they are not boys they are men and should be treated as such. \

I'm not putting off-field stuff on him or the coaches. I agree with you there.

As for Weeden again he put up points in Dallas and fans were all over him but not the play of the defense who failed to maintain any type of lead. he went to Houston who has a defense that was a big difference but I watched Weeden his game was not much different in Houston.

No, it wasn't. But I thought he looked more comfortable and confident after two weeks in Houston than he did after two years here. And ultimately, he looked the best of the three quarterbacks that they put on the field last year.

But I agree that the defense let him down, especially with that pathetic performance in the Falcons game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm not putting off-field stuff on him or the coaches. I agree with you there.

No, it wasn't. But I thought he looked more comfortable and confident after two weeks in Houston than he did after two years here. And ultimately, he looked the best of the three quarterbacks that they put on the field last year.

But I agree that the defense let him down, especially with that pathetic performance in the Falcons game.

Yes you get confident when your defense can actually stop someone and put the ball back in your hands. Dallas was not getting turnovers for him but Houston was. It is a lot less pressure when you do not feel as if you must score every time knowing defense can come in and get you the ball right back.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If we're doing this, don't forget the blown coverage in overtime after Weeden's impressive game-tieing drive at the end of regulation. So frustrating.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is not 2 players, it was not Jason who did not want Murray back he did and publicly stated that many times but there is a business side to this game as well and management was not going to pay that price.

It wasn't anyone who "didn't want Murray back", it was an organizational decision based on finances. But they made their decisions and had an offseason to decide on replacements. And they chose poorly. They didn't get stuck with Randle due to injury,, they chose poorly.

I'm not comparing Jason to Jimmy only pointing out that a HC like Johnson struggled when his top 3 was not there but Jason is expected to do more when losing his 3 that makes no sense at all. All I can say it without Troy this team was not winning crap and that was with Jimmy.

Jimmy also won when he did have 'his guys'. And he won big, and he won ultimately. That's why he gets that benefit of the doubt. Garrett never has, so he doesn't.

And nobody is expecting Garrett to "do more", just to do something.