JJT: Jason Garrett needs new approach to right kind of guys

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of lousy coaches are "liked" by their players. Its prob a beneficial thing, but doesnt indicate anything really when it comes to success on the field. Lots of coaches have been let go even when players lobbied for the coach to stay. Its about respect. And a certain element of fear about the job or playing time has to be there, but to what degree is open to debate.

Again. You guys hear what you want to hear.

Here's one example of the most recent player quote I can remember. From Scandrick: "I feel like the type of coach [Jason Garrett] is hasn't been reflected by the type of record we've had. He's a phenomenal coach."

You're trying to interpret that as the coach being well-liked. That's not what he's said. He didn't say 'liked' he said he's a phenomenal coach. That's respect.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
A lot of lousy coaches are "liked" by their players. Its prob a beneficial thing, but doesnt indicate anything really when it comes to success on the field. Lots of coaches have been let go even when players lobbied for the coach to stay. Its about respect. And a certain element of fear about the job or playing time has to be there, but to what degree is open to debate.

I don't like Belichick and I can't imagine him being a fun coach to play for. But, his players by and large respect him.

The reason being is that:

1. The Patriots win

2. He continually makes players better players.

And I don't think he nor Robert Kraft have an ounce of integrity involved with them. As we saw with Logan Mankins, just because you play great doesn't mean you will get the pay day with the Pats...even if they promise it to you.

But, there is still a respect for Belichick because players know that even if the payday doesn't come, their price tag is higher so they can go to FA and get the payday with another team. And it's not all about money...winning means a lot to every NFL player that I have ever talked to. They all have a serious disdain for losing.

So the 'fear' is that they are missing out on becoming a better player if they don't do what Belichick wants or if they get in trouble with the law which jeopardizes their standing with the team. And the 'fear' is that if they are cut, then they are very likely going to a team that isn't nearly as good.

Any dummy can cut players at the drop of a hat. That's what Chip Kelly did in Philly and players respected him LESS. Show the players that there is a benefit to the Head Coach being their HC and that's when they will start respecting him.

YR

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I have my thoughts on garrett and have expressed them here. this coming season will be six years for him as a head coach I think he has to figure out a way to start winning games consistently with this team or they will quit on him eventully you have to win games to stay in the league so I think if he don't win soon jerry and Stephen will move on.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Again. You guys hear what you want to hear.

Here's one example of the most recent player quote I can remember. From Scandrick: "I feel like the type of coach [Jason Garrett] is hasn't been reflected by the type of record we've had. He's a phenomenal coach."

You're trying to interpret that as the coach being well-liked. That's not what he's said. He didn't say 'liked' he said he's a phenomenal coach. That's respect.

I cant really dispute what Scandrick said, but I know many players have high regard, or a high like factor when it comes to their coach but the results on the field tell the real story. Comments are to be considered, but weighed against the results, or even what the team is able to do or not do on the field. If one were to listen to the comments of the pro Garrett crowd you'd think Garrett is on par with Belicheat or some of the retired or deceased HOF coaches.

See its not a matter of hearing what we want to hear. Its a matter of seeing what actually is. That mess last year with Weeden and Cassell tells a different story than Scandricks remark. And thats clear and plain results, achieved with some real ugly play and performance from the team. Sure Romo and Dez being out was huge, but man that was some ugly stuff w/o them. Ineptness by a coaching staff in many ways. Even with way low expectations watching it revealed a lot about this staff.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
I don't like Belichick and I can't imagine him being a fun coach to play for. But, his players by and large respect him.

The reason being is that:

1. The Patriots win

2. He continually makes players better players.

And I don't think he nor Robert Kraft have an ounce of integrity involved with them. As we saw with Logan Mankins, just because you play great doesn't mean you will get the pay day with the Pats...even if they promise it to you.

But, there is still a respect for Belichick because players know that even if the payday doesn't come, their price tag is higher so they can go to FA and get the payday with another team. And it's not all about money...winning means a lot to every NFL player that I have ever talked to. They all have a serious disdain for losing.

So the 'fear' is that they are missing out on becoming a better player if they don't do what Belichick wants or if they get in trouble with the law which jeopardizes their standing with the team. And the 'fear' is that if they are cut, then they are very likely going to a team that isn't nearly as good.

Any dummy can cut players at the drop of a hat. That's what Chip Kelly did in Philly and players respected him LESS. Show the players that there is a benefit to the Head Coach being their HC and that's when they will start respecting him.

YR

I dont think Landry was a barrel of laughs to play for either. But he was respected. Even Staubach has said those days in the film room reviewing game tape were awful. You felt like you really let him down and it was such a horrible feeling that you didnt want it to happen again.

Darren Woodson said under Jimmy they called it "red *ss" mondays.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I cant really dispute what Scandrick said, but I know many players have high regard, or a high like factor when it comes to their coach but the results on the field tell the real story. Comments are to be considered, but weighed against the results, or even what the team is able to do or not do on the field. If one were to listen to the comments of the pro Garrett crowd you'd think Garrett is on par with Belicheat or some of the retired or deceased HOF coaches.

See its not a matter of hearing what we want to hear. Its a matter of seeing what actually is. That mess last year with Weeden and Cassell tells a different story than Scandricks remark. And thats clear and plain results, achieved with some real ugly play and performance from the team. Sure Romo and Dez being out was huge, but man that was some ugly stuff w/o them. Ineptness by a coaching staff in many ways. Even with way low expectations watching it revealed a lot about this staff.

There are lots of reasons why NFL teams lose games. Seeing what actually 'is' and knowing why it is aren't the same thing.

Be careful about mixing up the cause of a problem with whose responsibility it is to fix it.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

This team just has no dept. When the starters go down it gets real ugly fast.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
This team just has no dept. When the starters go down it gets real ugly fast.

So if thats the case then the "great building of the roster by JG" is a 5 yr myth.

Ill just say this. Bill Belicheat took a young inexperienced Matt Cassel and went 11-5. Jason Garrett got a seasoned veteran, who'd been a starter Matt Cassel and couldnt muster ONE single solitary win with him. Marinate on that for a while.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
So if thats the case then the "great building of the roster by JG" is a 5 yr myth.

Ill just say this. Bill Belicheat took a young inexperienced Matt Cassel and went 11-5. Jason Garrett got a seasoned veteran, who'd been a starter Matt Cassel and couldnt muster ONE single solitary win with him. Marinate on that for a while.

Apparently so.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Seriously dude? That's your argument? You're taking 2015 Cassel over 2007 Cassel and concluding the difference is coaching?

This team is a relatively solid team that had a confluence of setbacks last year that tubes the season. Sometimes that happens in leagues built around enforcing parity. Suspensions and injustices to four or five key playmakers can do you in.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Seriously dude? That's your argument? You're taking 2015 Cassel over 2007 Cassel and concluding the difference is coaching?

This team is a relatively solid team that had a confluence of setbacks last year that tubes the season. Sometimes that happens in leagues built around enforcing parity. Suspensions and injustices to four or five key playmakers can do you in.

No, its not my argument, but its an indicator of reality. Oh sure, it can get passed off as irrelevant, but its still there nevertheless.

I know we had significant injuries, but, my goodness this team should have been able to muster at least ONE win dont you think? Coaching failed big time and showed how inept they are when they had to make the difference.

The Cheatriots could have packed it in that year and used the Brady injury as an excuse, but they didnt. They came up with a way to win 11 games with a backup QB. Red couldnt win ONE game with a backup QB, and a seasoned veteran at that.

All of the things that people use to bash Red as individual things might not be super significant, and may be excused with some "explanations" but when the overall body of work is viewed, the totality of all the shortcomings becomes much more significant and revealing.

Plankton

Reaction score
Because Emmitt would not miss another game that season but again when he or Troy or Mike were out the team struggled. Health was a big key for those team, none of the guys missed much time until later in their careers and Jimmy was long gone but over the period when Jimmy was here the team struggled when any of the triplets missed games.

I think Jerry has stood by Jason who is currently 46 and 44 as HC and 1-1 in post season. We both agree Jason has to win. Just like a player has to produce, a player can have all the talent in the world but if injured all the time he will eventually lose his job same for a HC his job is to win and even if he is dealing with outside issues of player or injury bug he is still expected to win and if not he will end up losing his job.

I have never said Jason is untouchable his job is to get this team winning and competing for a championship no matter what.

My comments are in regards to last season, I have seen growth with this team and changes that needed to be made I have an OL revamped from little talent to one of the best in the NFL so it is not as if the Cowboys have shown nothing and I think 2014 season showed the direction they were moving was the right one, then comes 2015, top RB gone, Franchise QB out for most of the year and star WR who was paid as a top 3 WR goes down and struggles with injury so do I see a correlation between what they faced in 2015 as opposed to vast improvements of 2014 sure I do

Troy Aikman missed the last four full games and part of a fifth of the 1991 season, and the Cowboys went undefeated over that stretch, made the playoffs, and beat the Bears on the road in the Wild Card round.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The guy lost me when he stated that Jimmy and Bill where the two best coaches in team history.
No Tom?
lol.
Jean-Jacques Taylor said:
The two best coaches in franchise history, Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells, each found the right mix between creating an atmosphere of fear and one of winning because players knew the coach had power. Sure, those coaches had players who committed off-the-field transgressions, but they always knew Johnson and Parcells were in complete control.
That's what I deserve for not reading the entire article the first go-round. Did Taylor suddenly develop temporary amnesia or is he an idiot?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I have my thoughts on garrett and have expressed them here. this coming season will be six years for him as a head coach I think he has to figure out a way to start winning games consistently with this team or they will quit on him eventully you have to win games to stay in the league so I think if he don't win soon jerry and Stephen will move on.

No need to say they will quit because they already have. Matt Cassel's last game as a starter they pretty much packed it in until Cassel was yanked.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No need to say they will quit because they already have. Matt Cassel's last game as a starter they pretty much packed it in until Cassel was yanked.

The Jets game? That's not how I'd characterize that at all.

The story of that game was the four picks. Pretty much the story of the season once Romo went down.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
The Jets game? That's not how I'd characterize that at all.

The story of that game was the four picks. Pretty much the story of the season once Romo went down.

Go watch the game. Team was barely going through the motions up until Cassel was yanked.