JJT: Whispers From the Star - 2/14/2020

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They really think highly of Woods. I'm a fan as well but to expect for him to make the Pro Bowl last year seemed out of nowhere.

Reactions: JPM

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's under the ice on Europa?
giphy.gif

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I don't think Marinelli's scheme is trash. Hell, he's been in the NFL for years, considered one of the top defensive cordinaters for years, he had a job in the NFL like two hours after he got released in Dallas.

I think there is something to the report that was aired earlier. The problem was not Marinelli or Richard, per say. The problem was that neither had full control over the entire Defense. When Rod ran is scheme up front, the LBs and secondary were not in sink with that and it created issues. I think that's probably more of the problem.

I think Marinelli can Coach but like all Coaches, you are as good as your talent. We have not really enjoyed the talent level on the Defensive Side of the ball, we've seen Offensively IMO. Who's fault is that? Hard to say for sure but I do think the guy can Coach. I just think it was time for him to move on.

That's just my opinion.

You don't think much do you?:cool:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I don't think Marinelli's scheme is trash. Hell, he's been in the NFL for years, considered one of the top defensive cordinaters for years, he had a job in the NFL like two hours after he got released in Dallas.

I think there is something to the report that was aired earlier. The problem was not Marinelli or Richard, per say. The problem was that neither had full control over the entire Defense. When Rod ran is scheme up front, the LBs and secondary were not in sink with that and it created issues. I think that's probably more of the problem.

I think Marinelli can Coach but like all Coaches, you are as good as your talent. We have not really enjoyed the talent level on the Defensive Side of the ball, we've seen Offensively IMO. Who's fault is that? Hard to say for sure but I do think the guy can Coach. I just think it was time for him to move on.

That's just my opinion.
The defense played great in 2018.

Richard and Marinelli managed the defense well until the Rams playoff game.

I do not buy the defensive coaches suddenly could not communicate.

That's reaching for answers.

I thought as soon as Vander Esch went down, it hurt alot more than we knew. Suddenly Jaylon started to struggle and we could not stop the run.

On top of that, TEs started shedding the pass defense and play action passing stopped the DBs from getting into coverages.

The coaches just were out coached on defense. Halftime never brought changes in 2nd halves and we slowly died.

They are both gone. We will see what the new coaches bring.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

That's just my opinion.
:hammer::hammer::hammer:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

That's just my opinion.

Marinelli's scheme was fine 15 years ago. It also works if you have dominant talent. Neither has been the case since he arrived.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

I thought as soon as Vander Esch went down, it hurt alot more than we knew. Suddenly Jaylon started to struggle and we could not stop the run.

On top of that, TEs started shedding the pass defense and play action passing stopped the DBs from getting into coverages.

The coaches just were out coached on defense. Halftime never brought changes in 2nd halves and we slowly died.

The DT getting hurt really hurt us against the Rams.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I can't remember who reported on this but there was a piece that basically pointed this out shortly after Garrett got canned.

This actually started with Indy, not the Rams IMO but you are correct that teams picked up on it and have used it against us.

I will say this, LVE was not playing well even before he went down IMO. LBs were exposed the entire year last season IMO.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Marinelli's scheme was fine 15 years ago. It also works if you have dominant talent. Neither has been the case since he arrived.

Variation of that scheme still work today. Nothing in Football is new. I see people say that this or that worked however many years ago but the truth is that any scheme will work if you can execute and if you have talent. Now, talent is really the issue to me. Marinelli isn't responsible for that in Dallas, or he shouldn't be. If we don't have the talent along the DL to make something work, that's not on the Coaching Staff. That's on management and personnel. If we have talent and it's not producing, that's on Coaching. I personally don't believe we have had a lot of talent at DT for several season but that's just my opinion.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I can't remember who reported on this but there was a piece that basically pointed this out shortly after Garrett got canned.

This actually started with Indy, not the Rams IMO but you are correct that teams picked up on it and have used it against us.

I will say this, LVE was not playing well even before he went down IMO. LBs were exposed the entire year last season IMO.
Starts with the D-line.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Variation of that scheme still work today. Nothing in Football is new. I see people say that this or that worked however many years ago but the truth is that any scheme will work if you can execute and if you have talent. Now, talent is really the issue to me. Marinelli isn't responsible for that in Dallas, or he shouldn't be. If we don't have the talent along the DL to make something work, that's not on the Coaching Staff. That's on management and personnel. If we have talent and it's not producing, that's on Coaching. I personally don't believe we have had a lot of talent at DT for several season but that's just my opinion.
I see you defending Marinelli quite a bit in this thread, and I get it. But the reality is he was too stubborn for his scheme to work.

Marinelli runs an "effort-based" scheme where you essentially have to beat the man in front of you almost every play. There is no creativity, there is no imagination, there is no disguising coverages and blitzes, and there is no deception. This works out really well on occasion (2014 against Seattle, 2018 against New Orleans, etc.), but more times than not, it leaves the elite QB's plenty of leeway to find holes in your zone and pick you apart. Marinelli also would rather have guys on his defense that fit the prototype for his scheme and have position flex rather than the best talent available, which lands you draft picks like Trysten Hill, Taco Charlton, and the extension of guys like Ty Crawford.

I'm not saying Marinelli is a bad football coach in totality, but he was in over his head in Dallas. We couldn't beat Aaron Rodgers twice with superior teams in 2014 and 2016, and the DL's movements were so predictable in 2018, that the Rams were able to rush for 300 yards with an overweight RB and an injured RB. When guys like Sam Darnold are commenting post-game about how predicable the defense is, you need to make changes ASAP.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Starts with the D-line.

Well, I'd say it starts on the practice field but regardless, it does start up front. Here is the thing in my mind. It's not as if the team didn't know what they were doing with Marinelli. They specifically hired him to coach a scheme with less talent. The team was tired of paying DTs and so they brought this staff in with the intent to do more with less. It did work, to an extent, for a period of time but eventually, the talent caught up with us and teams figured out how to expose it. So while I understand why fans say this or that about Marinelli, if you really look at it, where does the actual breakdown occur? The idea here is to fix the problem yes? Pointing at Marinelli and saying it's all him doesn't fix the problem, to me. This is systemic and the fan base continuously doing the same thing, in terms of how we act towards these kinds of shortcomings only exacerbate the problem.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Well, I'd say it starts on the practice field but regardless, it does start up front. Here is the thing in my mind. It's not as if the team didn't know what they were doing with Marinelli. They specifically hired him to coach a scheme with less talent. The team was tired of paying DTs and so they brought this staff in with the intent to do more with less. It did work, to an extent, for a period of time but eventually, the talent caught up with us and teams figured out how to expose it. So while I understand why fans say this or that about Marinelli, if you really look at it, where does the actual breakdown occur? The idea here is to fix the problem yes? Pointing at Marinelli and saying it's all him doesn't fix the problem, to me. This is systemic and the fan base continuously doing the same thing, in terms of how we act towards these kinds of shortcomings only exacerbate the problem.
Huh?

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
While I have never been a big fan of the "bend, but don't break" defense philosophy, I have never understood the vile and distasteful comments directed at Marinelli.

There were two aspects of Marinelli's defense I took issue:. First was his uncompromising attempt to make the players fit his scheme and second, was all the hype surrounding his ability to turn subpar to average DL into above average players.

On the other side of the coin, I really admired his enthusiasm and energy. I even got a kick out of the nicknames he assigned his players. I think that was one of the ways he tried to connect with the younger players. I should be so energetic when reach his age.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad we moved on from him.

Maybe a few of the CZ posters should move on as well.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I see you defending Marinelli quite a bit in this thread, and I get it. But the reality is he was too stubborn for his scheme to work.

Marinelli runs an "effort-based" scheme where you essentially have to beat the man in front of you almost every play. There is no creativity, there is no imagination, there is no disguising coverages and blitzes, and there is no deception. This works out really well on occasion (2014 against Seattle, 2018 against New Orleans, etc.), but more times than not, it leaves the elite QB's plenty of leeway to find holes in your zone and pick you apart. Marinelli also would rather have guys on his defense that fit the prototype for his scheme and have position flex rather than the best talent available, which lands you draft picks like Trysten Hill, Taco Charlton, and the extension of guys like Ty Crawford.

I'm not saying Marinelli is a bad football coach in totality, but he was in over his head in Dallas. We couldn't beat Aaron Rodgers twice with superior teams in 2014 and 2016, and the DL's movements were so predictable in 2018, that the Rams were able to rush for 300 yards with an overweight RB and an injured RB. When guys like Sam Darnold are commenting post-game about how predicable the defense is, you need to make changes ASAP.

No, all of this post is wrong. I'm not defending anybody. I'm asking the fan base to look further then the front of their own noses. The team knew what they were doing with Marinelli. He has a ton of resume out there before he ever came to Dallas. We can see when his scheme was effective and when it wasn't. This idea that his scheme was not imaginative and that this is somehow the reason for not having success just doesn't hold water with me. I mean, the truth is that Richard had control of LBs and DBs last year. He made the calls. Marinelli didn't make the calls so if you want to say that the scheme had no imagination and didn't work is a bit of a misnomer to me. The personnel dictates what you can and can't run. We are limited to what we can do in terms of scheme. Our injuries further compounded that issue. Marinelli is going to run a certain scheme because that's who he is and this is what we have to work with. If we know that this is what we hired Marinelli to do, then to me, it doesn't make sense to lay it all at the feet of just Marinelli. Right or wrong, Richard controlled a lot of the Defense and how they played. If we want to say that it was stupid to run the Defense this way, well, I agree. You have to have one voice who makes the final call on this kind of thing. That should have been the DC but because they are Co DCs, who does that fall to? It becomes Garrett and we all know what that situation turned out like.

To me, the issue is less about scheme and more about how we got here. I'm not a fan, necessarily of the Marinelli scheme. I like less penetration and more dominant 1 Tech play. Having said that, if we hire a guy to do a thing and then we kinda go away from supporting that, then that's a problem with management. That's really the point I'm trying to get at, to be honest.