Twitter: Joe Looney close to returning to team

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

Does this mean Martin is a starter?

Doubt it, but depth and camp bodies are good. Just improve the quality of the depth and camp bodies from last year... Looks like it may be happening.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
No, it means Marcus Martin is signing so cheap he will compete with Looney to be the gameday backup at guard and center.

I still have a feeling Cameron Fleming is going to end up at left guard and La'el Collins is staying at tackle.
Whoa... Oh yeah! Fleming can play G and has... right? Was he decent?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Whoa... Oh yeah! Fleming can play G and has... right? Was he decent?

I'm just going by reports he can play multiple line positions. His versatility is what makes him a bargain. After all, La'el Collins was a left tackle at LSU and has already played LG and RT for the Cowboys.

Reaction score
Not sure I like this. It could mean (1) Fleming has backed out and this is Plan B; or (2) the plan is to start Martin or Looney at LG and Fleming is just swing T. Otherwise it really makes no sense to sign two guys who do exactly the same thing as backup G/C.

robjay04

Reaction score
Odd. Not a big fan of carrying two guys that do the exact same thing.

Well we are not “carrying” them into the regular season as of now.

Injuries happen and competition can make the player we choose to keep better.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Not sure I like this. It could mean (1) Fleming has backed out and this is Plan B; or (2) the plan is to start Martin or Looney at LG and Fleming is just swing T. Otherwise it really makes no sense to sign two guys who do exactly the same thing as backup G/C.

It's all about creating competition. I have read the Cowboys plan to have Fleming, Looney, and Martin all signed by the end of the day tomorrow.

I doubt Fleming has backed out. He probably decided to become a Cowboy the day the Patriots re-signed LaAdrian Waddle, who was also here for a visit.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Does this mean Martin is a starter?

I'd say that he's certainly going to get a fair chance at it.

If they're re-signing Looney to the same role as backup guard/center that he has been, it would indicate that Martin is getting an opportunity to replace Cooper at left guard with Collins staying at right tackle.

And rather than a starter at right tackle, Fleming will be the swing tackle. Solid depth and insurance against the Bell-Green disaster of 2017.

I'm giving them credit for some good move here. I was a Cooper fan but I'm willing to see what Martin has. One thing I like about his game is that he's not getting moved backwards. It was also nice to hear some comparisons to a young Ron Leary.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
That could be a thread! Someone should run with this: If you could make a Herschel Walker trade for Zach, would you?

I probably would. Only because I believe if you end up paying the guy too large a percentage of the cap then you negate the advantage of having a great guard.

Besides who wouldn't love another Herschel Walker trade?