News: Joey Bosa is a throwback… and that's OK

conner01

Reaction score
Bosa is a very good player but not sure he will ever be an elite pass rusher. That said I think he can be a 10 sack guy which ain't bad and he is very good against the run. My guess is we are looking at about 3 guys with the 4th pick and he is certainly one of them, the others I'm guessing are Ramsey and Wentz

jnday

Reaction score
Is it really smart to draft Bosa ? I see his ceiling as an Anthony Spencer type player. Is that a player worth drafting with the 4th pick?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Problem is, Martin was high character. I don't know if Bosa is

Bosa lives and breathes football. It is readily apparent that he knows how to eat and train. He is a junior and is more developed in his technique than most seniors that ever come out.

He was one of four players that were suspended either for academic issues or for pot before last season. He was told to move out of Elliott's apartment after the two had been roommates for their first two years. I'm not sure what to make of that.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Is it really smart to draft Bosa ? I see his ceiling as an Anthony Spencer type player. Is that a player worth drafting with the 4th pick?

If he he gets bigger and is able to maintain that athleticism than his ceiling is with some of the all time greats like Bruce Smith and Jared Allen. Spencer isn't a power player like Bosa so I'm not sure why the comparison even makes sense.

jnday

Reaction score
If he he gets bigger and is able to maintain that athleticism than his ceiling is with some of the all time greats like Bruce Smith and Jared Allen. Spencer isn't a power player like Bosa so I'm not sure why the comparison even makes sense.

It makes sense because Bosa will not be an impact type player. He is not a great pass rusher and is considered good against the run. Kinda like Almost Anthony. I don't see Bosa as a top pass rusher at all and a pass rusher is what the defense needs. He could be solid, but he will not be great. He was not the player that Gregory was at that level . Think about it.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
So if he was the kind of guy that got you 9,10 or 11 sacks a year for 10 years, would that be OK at no. 4?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It makes sense because Bosa will not be an impact type player. He is not a great pass rusher and is considered good against the run. Kinda like Almost Anthony. I don't see Bosa as a top pass rusher at all and a pass rusher is what the defense needs. He could be solid, but he will not be great. He was not the player that Gregory was at that level . Think about it.

You want to talk about football as it's played on the field as opposed to qualitative generalizations like 'good' and 'great' which are based on little more than emotion?

His shuttle and 3 cone scores which actually correlate to NFL success are elite. They compare with guys like Mack and Miller coming out. At OSU he was routinely double and triple teamed because no single man could block him. While OC's gameplanned him, his own OC ran zone blitzes that keyed off of how they blocked Bosa. He was named his conferences best defender two years running.

Despite that attention, he still managed 70 pressures in 10 games for all the handwaving at his sack totals. He can succeed on the dip and rip, swim, bull rush, and knows how to break down a tackle using leverage and balance to dominate. He has the body control and explosion to break down and finish. He knows how to convert speed to power and he knows how to use his hands to keep the blockers hands away while maintaining his rush.

Cowboys1fan

Reaction score
If bosa isn't the pick with the state of our franchise this front office is a failure. Bosa is a complete monster. He will have a lot of one on ones in the nfl

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I find him growing on me as the process goes on. I still want the QB first, but that's kind of a different problem, really. But Bosa and, say, Karl Joseph, maybe, would be a pretty big lift to the defense.

HE'S GONNA BUST JUST LIKE BOBBY CARPENTER...

Gaede

Reaction score
Bosa lives and breathes football. It is readily apparent that he knows how to eat and train. He is a junior and is more developed in his technique than most seniors that ever come out.

He was one of four players that were suspended either for academic issues or for pot before last season. He was told to move out of Elliott's apartment after the two had been roommates for their first two years. I'm not sure what to make of that.

For sure, there is no doubt he is committed to football. That's a huge plus for him at his age.

You are making a compelling argument

Gotta say, I think the main reason I don't like the guy is his personality. Comes off as a spoiled frat guy. But as was mentioned, he is only 20 and that is probably inevitable when you're king of the campus.

rags747

Reaction score
Jeff-Spicoli-Fast-Times-at-Ridgemont-High-sean-penn-30972170-400-205.gif

Dude......

img_0056.jpg

He is definitely Spicoli, I love it...

conner01

Reaction score
So if he was the kind of guy that got you 9,10 or 11 sacks a year for 10 years, would that be OK at no. 4?

I think that's a great point. He is not Ware but he is pretty good and very young so he will get better. His technique is well above any other edge rusher but he is not the speed edge guy Ware was
If he could get you 8-10 sacks a year and pressure then it's a good pick especially considering we would still have the speed guy in Gregory to mix in

HellCrowe

Reaction score
Bosa or Ramsey I'm cool. I was on the QB bandwagon for a minute but I will not be crying if we land one of those 2. We have a big necessity on defense and a QB although a requirement in itself will not have the same impact than someone who can start or play right away.

It has been easier knowing (even if it is a smokescreen) that we will not be taking a QB with our top pick. Reason is; I get to open my eyes to different possibilities. Maybe it is a lynch, brisett, jones, or Prescott but what all of them have in common is they all have to sit. Whether or not Romo gets hurt i wouldn't expect Goff or Wentz to save our franchise.

It would mean the end of the Romo era and the begining of a new era would probably mean at least 2 more years before we are in playoff consideration. Not to say I would hate a QB picked at #4 but I also wouldn't be heart broken because CB and DE are also premium picks.

So put me in the QB, DE, CB boat. I'd be happy with either.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I will be honest, I have not watched a ton of film on Bosa, but what I have seen I don't see Spencer or Bobby at all. He has elite talent and he is a tough kid that loves football. To me, his floor is Ellis and a very reasonable ceiling is Hardy before his suspension. I have to disagree with those that see a bust, I think he is one of the safest picks. Now, if he is only Ellis for ten years, then I guess you would call that a sorta bust considering it was the 4th pick, but you could have done worse.

I would be cool with Ramsey, a QB, I like Jack, but the knee scares me, Zeke would be awesome for five years, but I don't see that happening and Bosa would be great too. I see a little drop off after that group.

I am very intrigued at the thought of a DLaw, Crawford, Thornton, Bosa line for the next few years, especially in year 2. It could turn out to be a top 5 to 10 D-line in the league. Match that with the #1 O-line we have a hell of a base.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
For sure, there is no doubt he is committed to football. That's a huge plus for him at his age.

You are making a compelling argument

Gotta say, I think the main reason I don't like the guy is his personality. Comes off as a spoiled frat guy. But as was mentioned, he is only 20 and that is probably inevitable when you're king of the campus.

When I listen to him talk, I think he sounds dumb. Despite that it doesn't appear to transfer to the football field. I just think its important that you monitor who he is influenced by.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I think that's a great point. He is not Ware but he is pretty good and very young so he will get better. His technique is well above any other edge rusher but he is not the speed edge guy Ware was
If he could get you 8-10 sacks a year and pressure then it's a good pick especially considering we would still have the speed guy in Gregory to mix in

I have started to warm up to the guy, still a little on the fence.