News: Joey Bosa is a throwback… and that's OK

Daillest88

Reaction score
Only 7 pressures of his 70 total in 2015 were unblocked. He worked through double and triple teams at OSU as opposed to Carp who would get free lanes off zone blitz for his sacks.

70 pressures that's crazy, and he did against some very good tackles

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
His football IQ is high.. I see Michael Strahan

He does have good awareness on the field. He can react slowly sometimes but you never see him deer in the headlights.

Strahan is bigger but Bosa is only 20. I can see that type of ceiling as well. In contrast Watt was 22 when he was drafted in 2011.

Daillest88

Reaction score
He does have good awareness on the field. He can react slowly sometimes but you never see him deer in the headlights.

Strahan is bigger but Bosa is only 20. I can see that type of ceiling as well. In contrast Watt was 22 when he was drafted in 2011.

Yup him being 20 years old is a plus too.

Daillest88

Reaction score
And with double and triple teams
His sacks dropped off after spence left which allowed teams to concentrate on him

That's amazing.. I do find it funny tho, during the regular season, everyone wanted him and were comparing him to JJ Watt

DFWJC

Reaction score
If both of our young DEs develop, I can see why there might be some wanting to go in another direction...me included.
But I'm ok with landing Bosa and feel confident he'll have a good to even great career.
At 4th overall..he better be

Btw, I see him as definitely a better version of Ellis. Still understand the concern somewhat.

jnday

Reaction score
So if he was the kind of guy that got you 9,10 or 11 sacks a year for 10 years, would that be OK at no. 4?

He will not be that productive on sacks. I consider Bosa as the same level as a Spencer . Solid, but nothing more . Is that what you want from the 4th pick in the draft? I want a playmaker, an impact player , a future starter at QB. I don't want solid .

jnday

Reaction score
You want to talk about football as it's played on the field as opposed to qualitative generalizations like 'good' and 'great' which are based on little more than emotion?

His shuttle and 3 cone scores which actually correlate to NFL success are elite. They compare with guys like Mack and Miller coming out. At OSU he was routinely double and triple teamed because no single man could block him. While OC's gameplanned him, his own OC ran zone blitzes that keyed off of how they blocked Bosa. He was named his conferences best defender two years running.

Despite that attention, he still managed 70 pressures in 10 games for all the handwaving at his sack totals. He can succeed on the dip and rip, swim, bull rush, and knows how to break down a tackle using leverage and balance to dominate. He has the body control and explosion to break down and finish. He knows how to convert speed to power and he knows how to use his hands to keep the blockers hands away while maintaining his rush.

You know that I don't respond to your post , but on this subject it has been noticed by more than just me that your take on Bosa comes just about word for word from scouting reports from various sources. You have a high opinion of a solid, not great prospect . Congrats.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
He will not be that productive on sacks. I consider Bosa as the same level as a Spencer . Solid, but nothing more . Is that what you want from the 4th pick in the draft? I want a playmaker, an impact player , a future starter at QB. I don't want solid .

Ok that's certainly valid, who do you want with the fourth pick?

StarBoyz83

Reaction score

Only 2 I see are tunsel and ramsey. Not a great crop of impact players.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
You know that I don't respond to your post , but on this subject it has been noticed by more than just me that your take on Bosa comes just about word for word from scouting reports from various sources. You have a high opinion of a solid, not great prospect . Congrats.

:lmao:You guys sit around and talk about how I'm not as smart as I think/present and you don't respond to my post. Social relativism is so adorable.

Gossip away but it helps if you are going to sling mud like that you back it up with proof. It's not lost on me that you are still incapable of talking about football as it is actually played. Instead you make it about me.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Joey Bosa is Greg Ellis...and that's not OK for a top 5 pick
Beyond Ellis being a disappointment for a top 10 pick do you have any basis for this comparison?

I'd actually be interested in hearing this as well, because Greg Ellis came from a system in NC where he lined up outside of the Tight End whereas Bosa lined up in the traditional role. It isn't like you could plug in a tape of the two and draw that conclusion. They are also polar opposites personality wise, as Ellis came into the league as a nice guy who works hard while Bosa comes in with a mean streak and a relentless motor. Bosa comes in with much better hand placement and a more powerful bull rush than Ellis. Edit, Bosa is also twenty and Ellis was twenty three. People keep overlooking just how young Joey Bosa is.

On a side note, I think people need to lay off of Greg Ellis. He was the only decent first round pick Dallas could muster up in the post Jimmy 1990s and it isn't his fault Jerry let the players run wild to the point that had to pass on Moss. He also had two major injuries . That one in 1999 was brutal because it cost him several seasons until he got right again.

Last edited:

fishspill

Reaction score
Bosa is the easy call at #4 if the QBs are gone. Start building a great D-line.