Jon Kitna as next head coach

CashMan

Reaction score
Heck, I think Moore should be head coach over Kitna. This offense is rolling down the tracks with the new scheme. Everyone was correct about old OC Scott Linoleum. Make Moore HC, Kitna, OC and find a DC.
Go Dallas!!
Being a good OC doesn't make you a good HC.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
We need a new ST coach.
We need a new O-Line coach.
We need a new Defensive staff.
We need a new HC.

Now would be the perfect time to bring in a HC with a defensive minded personality. The offensive side is mostly running ok. The defense is just in shambles though.

Macnalty

Reaction score
They want to spend another decade training a guy for the position instead of getting the real deal huh
Honestly he seems as good a choice as any, I am not crazy about Urban Meyers, or the OU coach. Kitna is a lunch pail guy. Some of us are spoiled by enjoying the Jimmy Johnson era, those days are gone. For me, no one is off the table.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was listening to 103.5 the fan and they mentioned the possibility of promoting kitna to head coach since he’s clearly had an impact on how well Dak is playing this year. Doing so would allow us to keep Moore as OC and Richard as DC. (Although I wouldn’t be against getting a whole new defensive staff). Anyway what do you guys think of that?
Having an impact on one player and one position, even if a vital position, does not equate to head coach material. That's especially true given that this season as the QB coach is his first ever as an NFL coach.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's what Cleveland did with Freddie Kitchens.
Kitchens had less experience than most head coached, but he didn't go from just one year coaching experience to the Head Coach. He really doesn't help with the idea of moving up an inexperienced coach too rapidly anyway. Cleveland hasn't progressed.

quickccc

Reaction score
don't be surprised if Kitna starts getting offers from teams to be their OC.

and it would be a promotion move up so I could see him taking interviews. of course Jerry could block and deny permission
but we've seen past ugly and hard feelings from that kind of action.

when you show remarkable success within your organization, other teams are going to covet that success and want their own piece of the pie.
interesting that Kitna is getting the HC consideration among a certain media outlet ..over the OC himself who was a hot topic as possible HC a couple of months ago at the start of the season.

quickccc

Reaction score
We need a new ST coach.
We need a new O-Line coach.
We need a new Defensive staff.
We need a new HC.

Now would be the perfect time to bring in a HC with a defensive minded personality. The offensive side is mostly running ok. The defense is just in shambles though.

If the offensive side is mostly running OK, then why would you consider changing your OL coach ?

Very highly doubt we change OL coaches as we tried that last year, and that change was a castratrophic setback (Paul Alexander) ...such that club felt they had to act fast during
mid-season vs waiting after the season. They are going to want to continue the smash-mouth style and mentality that Marc Columbo helped resurrected mid season.

Plus the Cowboys are among the very top in least sacks allowed - dak only been sacked 11 times this year.
That's an outstanding number that indicates the pass protection in a now pass heavy attack has been more than satisfactory and a lot of credit goes to
Columbo, .. plus look at the work that has Lael emerging as a pro bowl caliber performer for better 1st half of the season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was listening to 103.5 the fan and they mentioned the possibility of promoting kitna to head coach since he’s clearly had an impact on how well Dak is playing this year. Doing so would allow us to keep Moore as OC and Richard as DC. (Although I wouldn’t be against getting a whole new defensive staff). Anyway what do you guys think of that?

I'd like to keep some offensive continuity too, but that move is a bit crazy.

blueblood70

Reaction score
nope too many ties to our old system, sorry

its either a TOTAL coaching staff purge or stay the same..

no pieces being shuffled around.. you hire a brand new HC and let him choose the complete staff..

quickccc

Reaction score
Having an impact on one player and one position, even if a vital position, does not equate to head coach material. That's especially true given that this season as the QB coach is his first ever as an NFL coach.

yeh you're right in it, being a quality position coach such as a QB coach, alone into being a suitable HC material.
But yet we've seen it happen around the league with guys like John Harbaugh, Sean McVay, Doug Pederson, Frank Reich
..guys that were QB coaches, offensive assistants, etc. before an inquiring teams interviewed them, obviously inspired by the interview and took a chance on them.

My question with Kitna into HC, would be the same sense I thought with Kellen Moore (and his media-driven HC consideration) - overall coaching experience.
Both guys are only going through their new, very first NFL level coaching position experience, and would teams gamble on that kind of inexperience novice so fast with their troubled teams ?

Certain things you won’t find out until these assistant coaches turned HCs hit the ground running with their new teams.
- It's more to it with head coaching than X's and O's and individual technical work.:
-I think HC's have to be smart and knowledgeable enough to oversee the entire operation, in all three areas of their teams.
- they have to prove themselves game managers and leaders of men.
- they have to prove themselves as inspiring motivators to keep their team fighting and competiting hard -especially when adversity comes in and going gets tough
(significant injury losses, losing streak, off field distractions, etc)
- they have to know when to delegate responsibility among their staff, knowing when to let his assts. lead.. and when it comes time when the HC himself has to be assertive,
take charge and lead themselves when the situation and task demands it,
- they also have to have good connections around the league, in who/how to find the more suitable assts, coordinators to carry out the duties demanded.

OttoWest

Reaction score
IMHO, position coaches are usually best left as position coaches. It's hard to be a teacher when you are learning yourself. I'd rather have someone who has been a head coach or at least been a coordinator. People were screaming for Richard for head coach last year. Not this year.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Urban Meyer can lead us to where we all want to be and more than once.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yeh you're right in it, being a quality position coach such as a QB coach, alone into being a suitable HC material.
But yet we've seen it happen around the league with guys like John Harbaugh, Sean McVay, Doug Pederson, Frank Reich
..guys that were QB coaches, offensive assistants, etc. before an inquiring teams interviewed them, obviously inspired by the interview and took a chance on them.

My question with Kitna into HC, would be the same sense I thought with Kellen Moore (and his media-driven HC consideration) - overall coaching experience.
Both guys are only going through their new, very first NFL level coaching position experience, and would teams gamble on that kind of inexperience novice so fast with their troubled teams ?

Certain things you won’t find out until these assistant coaches turned HCs hit the ground running with their new teams.
- It's more to it with head coaching than X's and O's and individual technical work.:
-I think HC's have to be smart and knowledgeable enough to oversee the entire operation, in all three areas of their teams.
- they have to prove themselves game managers and leaders of men.
- they have to prove themselves as inspiring motivators to keep their team fighting and competiting hard -especially when adversity comes in and going gets tough
(significant injury losses, losing streak, off field distractions, etc)
- they have to know when to delegate responsibility among their staff, knowing when to let his assts. lead.. and when it comes time when the HC himself has to be assertive,
take charge and lead themselves when the situation and task demands it,
- they also have to have good connections around the league, in who/how to find the more suitable assts, coordinators to carry out the duties demanded.

Harbaugh, McVay, Pederson and Reich had all been coaching in the NFL 7-10 years before becoming a head coach, and 3 of those had 3 years as an OC. When this season ends Kitna will have 1 year as a QB coach.

All that said, I wouldn't say it's impossible that Kitna could do well, but we don't really have any information to go by, and he doesn't have any coaching experience to give him credibility.

cern

Reaction score
I would have to hear his interview before making a decision. few thought he could teach dak better mechanics and ways to improve his accuracy. certainly not troy aikman who has since changed his opinion. a great hc needs to be a great teacher (see belichick). kitna has certainly proven himself to be an outstanding teacher. doesn't sound like an unrealistic thought to me. garrett gives speeches. but you can't teach what you don't understand.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would have to hear his interview before making a decision. few thought he could teach dak better mechanics and ways to improve his accuracy. certainly not troy aikman who has since changed his opinion. a great hc needs to be a great teacher (see belichick). kitna has certainly proven himself to be an outstanding teacher. doesn't sound like an unrealistic thought to me. garrett gives speeches. but you can't teach what you don't understand.
But he's proven to be a great teacher coaching the position he played in the NFL for 14 years. I'm sure some of his manner of teaching would fit, but it's an awful big jump to head coach with just one year of coaching under his belt.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think we need a defensive minded HC. Moore is a good OC, but I don't think he's ready for the whole tamale.

cern

Reaction score
But he's proven to be a great teacher coaching the position he played in the NFL for 14 years. I'm sure some of his manner of teaching would fit, but it's an awful big jump to head coach with just one year of coaching under his belt.
football is not as difficult as some make it out to be. mcvay, shanahan, and Pederson all got their jobs because they are good with qb's. the most important position on the field is the qb. ergo, why not kitna. we have coordinators to do the rest. play to your strengths. create mismatches. that's pretty much what it comes down to.