Jon Kitna as next head coach

quickccc

Reaction score
I think we need a defensive minded HC. Moore is a good OC, but I don't think he's ready for the whole tamale.

I really do not like passing any possible qualified possible HC candidate for the sake of one area (offense) vs another one (defense), as we'll chance losing focus
on overall qualifications and elements that make up a terrific HC period.

That's how guys like Frank Reich, etc. end up getting bypassed over. The one thing that becomes a great luxury with offensive guys like a Payton, Pederson, Reich, Reid, McVay etc. is
while it's a great chance that they could lose their top offensive assistants-OC's, the source and core of that offense still stays and goes through them.
- Mike Nagy leaves to be a HC for Bears, Reid is still operating a high powered attack as if Nagy was never missed.
- Frank Reich leaves Philly to become HC,.. Pederson still has the working of an good offense (if he had the WRs of course)

* the flip side is you will see defensive minded and HC capable guys like a Mike Zimmer get bypassed on for HC jobs, for sake of passing fancies, and that's when you
risk these scrub disaster HC hirings such the likes of a Zac Taylor and Freddie Kitchens.

* But one of the keys to even a defensive minded guy like Zimmer succeeding is going back to one of the keys I pointed out about qualifications of a HC,- having to have/know good connections
around the league in acquiring top notch assistants that can handle the job tasks he needs at hand.

* I have doubts that Jerry would hire a defensive guy because he is so indulged with continuing Dak's progress and production that he is not going to risk breaking and disrupting that.
and the offense would always stay with a HC, even if his assts. depart and move on to HC roles- but could Jerry prove me wrong in that sense ?

* Could Jerry decide to hire on a Kris Richard with the plan to continue retaining current offensive guys already on staff,
or they be promoted elsewhere, hiring the best asst coaches that still best still fit the offensive system Dak is still working in ?

quickccc

Reaction score
As much as I don't want Garrett, if it's just going to be another Jerry puppet, we may as well stick with the puppet we already have. Otherwise, it's change just for the sake of change.

Unless Jerry steps down and hires a real football GM, the culture of this team will never change.

We're all his puppets at the end of the day as long as he keeps us just good enough to keep that money rolling in.

Lights, Camera and action!!

the real GM (and his assistant) is already on this team in Jerry's son Stephen Jones, ..and McClay is Stephen's top assistant.
one specializes in cap and both specializes in player personnel acquisitions and departures. Imo, this team is operating more and more
under the impression with Stephen than ever before.

It's a reason why Johnny Manziel never arrived here as a 1st round pick. Not to say Jerry is not involved in daily operations, but he's listening and
cooperated with his football guys more than he ever has before. And has become a big surprise and making an impact as far as the culture of this franchise.

quickccc

Reaction score
IMHO, position coaches are usually best left as position coaches. It's hard to be a teacher when you are learning yourself. I'd rather have someone who has been a head coach or at least been a coordinator. People were screaming for Richard for head coach last year. Not this year.

we really won't know that until after the season when all the HC openings are made available and permission to interview needs to be granted.
I do think there's been some things involving the defensive staff here that has been well kept under the rub for the most part, and could end up
forcing a new hiring or seal a significant departure.

For instance, I heard through one of local sports stations that Richard wanted to bring in his own LB coach last year when he arrived, but Cowboys management told him no and they preferred
current LB coach Ben Bloom to continue coaching the LBs.
If Richard is convinced to stay on as DC, will Cowboys extend him the fullest power to change and upgrade any defensive staff role of his choosing?

football is not as difficult as some make it out to be. mcvay, shanahan, and Pederson all got their jobs because they are good with qb's. the most important position on the field is the qb. ergo, why not kitna. we have coordinators to do the rest. play to your strengths. create mismatches. that's pretty much what it comes down to.

i'm pretty sure that was Browns thought and plan that when they promoted Freddie Kitchens from OC to HC ..and ditto when Cincy hired away Zac Taylor from the McVay-Rams tree.

dfense

Reaction score
I was listening to 103.5 the fan and they mentioned the possibility of promoting kitna to head coach since he’s clearly had an impact on how well Dak is playing this year. Doing so would allow us to keep Moore as OC and Richard as DC. (Although I wouldn’t be against getting a whole new defensive staff). Anyway what do you guys think of that?
With that rational, Richard would already be the HC just based on last year.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Don't see it happening ...... Would rather have a proven coach at pro or college level

The Natural

Reaction score
Honestly he seems as good a choice as any, I am not crazy about Urban Meyers, or the OU coach. Kitna is a lunch pail guy. Some of us are spoiled by enjoying the Jimmy Johnson era, those days are gone. For me, no one is off the table.
A good choice based upon what? His work with Dak? Good, keep him as QB coach.

cern

Reaction score
But they had time as a coach to hone their coaching skills before becoming a head coach, and none were limited in their experience to only the QB coach role. And, remember that being a head coach isn't just being a teacher - it is also being a manager, and an administrator, and a disciplinarian, and a motivator, and a decision maker on offense, defense and special teams. Being good at coaching a position doesn't automatically mean a person is going to be good in that capacity.
To every rule, there are exceptions. Jimmy went from college to nfl.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To every rule, there are exceptions. Jimmy went from college to nfl.
He had atleast been coaching a long time, including being a highly successful head coach at a high level. But even so, the track record isn't that good in those situations. Saban Failed. Spurrier Failed. Kelly failed. Holtz failed.

As I said, I'm not saying it's impossible that he could do well, but his background doesn't provide a strong indication of it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I was listening to 103.5 the fan and they mentioned the possibility of promoting kitna to head coach since he’s clearly had an impact on how well Dak is playing this year. Doing so would allow us to keep Moore as OC and Richard as DC. (Although I wouldn’t be against getting a whole new defensive staff). Anyway what do you guys think of that?
he has an impact on Dak, but as a head coach he won't be spending a lot of one on one time with him and has to manage the whole team.....one year of professional coaching? hmmm, not sure I am ready to hand the keys....that would be what we did by handing the keys to Garrett as an up and comer

Reaction score

I think you should make better use of your time, like organizing your sock drawer or trimming those nose hairs.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Kitna as coach is probably not far from the truth. Only relative unknown will come to this organization with the FO hierarchy the way it is. Anyone with skins will have multiple teams pursuing them so dallas is really Plan Z unless one of the teams is Washington.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
If the offensive side is mostly running OK, then why would you consider changing your OL coach ?

Very highly doubt we change OL coaches as we tried that last year, and that change was a castratrophic setback (Paul Alexander) ...such that club felt they had to act fast during
mid-season vs waiting after the season. They are going to want to continue the smash-mouth style and mentality that Marc Columbo helped resurrected mid season.

Plus the Cowboys are among the very top in least sacks allowed - dak only been sacked 11 times this year.
That's an outstanding number that indicates the pass protection in a now pass heavy attack has been more than satisfactory and a lot of credit goes to
Columbo, .. plus look at the work that has Lael emerging as a pro bowl caliber performer for better 1st half of the season.
Running was a bad choice of words. I just meant the offense is playing ok but the run game has been atrocious. We have mostly first rounders and we can't get any push.

cern

Reaction score
He had atleast been coaching a long time, including being a highly successful head coach at a high level. But even so, the track record isn't that good in those situations. Saban Failed. Spurrier Failed. Kelly failed. Holtz failed.

As I said, I'm not saying it's impossible that he could do well, but his background doesn't provide a strong indication of it.
Look at the pluses. It's not likely he'd make wholesale changes to the current coaching staff. He eliminates the need for another qb coach. He's not going to revamp the offense. Clearly, he has dak's ear. He doesn't appear to be a big ego kind of guy. I like continuity.

RamziD

Reaction score
I don’t love the idea but I don’t hate it either.

Qcard

Reaction score
Kris Richard would take the next HC or OC offer elsewhere if Kitna got the DC HC

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Kris Richard would take the next HC or OC offer elsewhere if Kitna got the DC HC
We can live without Richard. He was given 6 pro bowl level players (DLaw, Jaylon, LVE, Byron, Quinn and Bennett) and at best has produced an above average defense that has zero bite

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Look at the pluses. It's not likely he'd make wholesale changes to the current coaching staff. He eliminates the need for another qb coach. He's not going to revamp the offense. Clearly, he has dak's ear. He doesn't appear to be a big ego kind of guy. I like continuity.
I don't know how much time he'd have to work with Dak while game planning and coaching the rest of the team.

Macnalty

Reaction score
A good choice based upon what? His work with Dak? Good, keep him as QB coach.
He played here and he has been in coaching since retiring from football. He has a history, not so sure it leads to a head coaching job for the cowboys, but he is no nob. Please enlighten us with someone you would like.