Jon Kitna Just Comical

joseephuss

Reaction score
At least half the league goes with only two QBs on the roster nowadays. With all the injuries Dallas has had this season they never really had the luxury of keeping a third QB on their 53 man roster. They had to make do with the practice squad and tried to develop a young QB there until he got signed away by another team.

Signing Kitna in no way prevents progress. You don't bring in a young potential future starter at this point in the season mostly because you can't. Those kinds of guys aren't available this late in the season. Kitna is merely a stop gap for an emergency situation. It is not much different than what most teams would have to do if they faced the same situation the Cowboys now face. If Peyton Manning or Tom Brady were injured right now the Broncos and Patriots would go with their respective back ups and also sign a veteran to be their just-in-case guy.

Signing Kitna doesn't have to be made into something bigger as if it has some deeper meaning of how the organization is run. it really is nothing. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to be critical of Jerry Jones. The Kitna signing isn't one of them. He isn't being looked at to be a savior. No QB available at this point would be. You could pretty much dump on any pick the Cowboys made. There are no good options at this point.

As for Josh Freeman, it would change things a bit since if Dallas had signed him in October he would now be Orton's back up. He still wouldn't be expected to play this game and if he did no one would expect him to be a savior, either. As I said earlier, the large amounts of injuries really prevented any move to bring in a 3rd string QB. Freeman will be a free agent this off season, so if Dallas wants him they can get him. For cheap, too. After his poor showing for the Vikes, he will not command much money.

There is no progress stopping with the Kitna signing. That is the old cliche of making a mountain out of a mole hill. I guess screaming it over and over just makes some people feel better about themselves.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
To be fair, when we do complain then, you guys complain ask that we are always Debbie-downers.. Seriously though, you can't take a post that references Gilligan's Island as being anything but a Piccard face-palm post than anything else. Humor is a great way to deal with incompetence.

It's not just your complaining in this thread that is bringing out the pop guns. It's you are talking nonsense under the guise of logic. You are so far off base with every single thing you're arguing in this thread it has people flabbergasted.

Garrett runs his own variant of the vertical offense which is what Norv did as well both being schooled by Ernie. The reason you haven't seen the play action pass until this year is no one was buying. We had NO run game. You actually have to be able to at least make the other team believe you can run before the play action is successful. You cannot run a successful vertical offense without running the ball, have TWO outside threats that can stretch the field (and have a QB which has the time to throw it deep on occasion), and have a QB and receivers who know what to do. We've had the QB and that's it. So that's why you haven't seen a lot of play action nor enough under center play. Now I'm sure you'll lay all that at Garrett's feet but it doesn't all belong there.

As far as bringing Kitna in.....well he'll know and be able to communicate with the rest of the offense. Being able to run the vertical offense is one thing both mentally and physically. But most teams have their own terminology for play calling even with comparable offensive schemes. Having a guy who can play reasonably well as the third QB for the LAST game of the season AND knows what the heck is being said to him and can communicate that with the coaches and players is important.

Garrett's got his problems for sure and he may need to go but find something factual to gig him on.

Oh, and Merry Christmas.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I think we could have made a play for Josh Freeman during the season based on physical skills alone. We could have gotten him for nothing. He's already shown on the field he can do it. It's a matter of brains though apparently.

But like I said, I just find the fact we in this position as going in circles. We have had seasons where Romo got injured and couldn't go on. We had his recent back injury. The issue with the ribs, yet we are here, without and long term plan.

Not to sidetrack things, but what in the heck happened with Freeman?
That guy looked like a player for a bit...

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Someone had to do it :D

Dallas Cowboys-Gilligan's Island.jpg

Who is Mary Ann, Jerry's daughter?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
To be fair, when we do complain then, you guys complain ask that we are always Debbie-downers.. Seriously though, you can't take a post that references Gilligan's Island as being anything but a Piccard face-palm post than anything else. Humor is a great way to deal with incompetence.

Someone said this to me or something similar in that Miles Austin thread yesterday. I guess the humor just goes over my head. I just feel like we can be as funny as we want once the season is over. I just don't get how anyone can't be excited at a chance to get to the post season even if they may feel we have no shot at doing nothing there.

Corso

Reaction score
Someone said this to me or something similar in that Miles Austin thread yesterday. I guess the humor just goes over my head. I just feel like we can be as funny as we want once the season is over. I just don't get how anyone can't be excited at a chance to get to the post season even if they may feel we have no shot at doing nothing there.

I hear that- just one more week of Cowboys football. Maybe two or three more if they can...
The off-season is long enough...

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
It's not just your complaining in this thread that is bringing out the pop guns. It's you are talking nonsense under the guise of logic. You are so far off base with every single thing you're arguing in this thread it has people flabbergasted.

Garrett runs his own variant of the vertical offense which is what Norv did as well both being schooled by Ernie. The reason you haven't seen the play action pass until this year is no one was buying. We had NO run game. You actually have to be able to at least make the other team believe you can run before the play action is successful. You cannot run a successful vertical offense without running the ball, have TWO outside threats that can stretch the field (and have a QB which has the time to throw it deep on occasion), and have a QB and receivers who know what to do. We've had the QB and that's it. So that's why you haven't seen a lot of play action nor enough under center play. Now I'm sure you'll lay all that at Garrett's feet but it doesn't all belong there.

As far as bringing Kitna in.....well he'll know and be able to communicate with the rest of the offense. Being able to run the vertical offense is one thing both mentally and physically. But most teams have their own terminology for play calling even with comparable offensive schemes. Having a guy who can play reasonably well as the third QB for the LAST game of the season AND knows what the heck is being said to him and can communicate that with the coaches and players is important.

Garrett's got his problems for sure and he may need to go but find something factual to gig him on.

Oh, and Merry Christmas.

I used to believe the same thing but this doesn't seem to be the case at all. JG could still run play action passes even absent a running game prior to this season. This is an excerpt from Johnathan Bales' article on that topic,

"Want jaw-dropping evidence that the Cowboys don’t embrace analytics and are unwilling to adapt to new information? Last year, Romo ranked last in the NFL in play-action percentage, attempting a play-action pass on just 10.0 percent of his dropbacks despite totaling a 109.1 passer rating on those passes.

In 2013, Romo ranks last in the NFL in play-action percentage, attempting a play-action pass on just 10.3 percent of his dropbacks despite totaling a 121.2 passer rating on those passes.

What the hell?

All kinds of success on play-action, yet the rate has increased 0.3 percent points? With that sort of improvement, we’ll only need to wait just over 37 years until the Cowboys reach THE LEAGUE AVERAGE in play-action percentage.

Oh, but the Cowboys can’t run the ball, you say, so why use play-action? First, Romo’s ridiculous play-action success is reason enough to increase the rate. But more important, play-action efficiency isn’t correlated with rushing success.

Defenders play situations, not past rushing efficiency, so the Cowboys don’t need a strong running game for play-action to work. If they implemented more of a scientific approach to decision-making over the faith-based approach they currently utilize, they’d probably know that."

dupree89

Reaction score

Merry Christmas. I am certainly no psychiatrist and I've never played one on TV, so I cant give a definitive answer. My guess is that its just a matter of each fan's perspective. Some think we're one win away and then "anything can happen". While others think winning this week is a longshot and if the improbable happens and Dallas wins, the following week it will be an even longer shot. Its kinda like the Minnesota game...some people had the attitude after the game like "who cares, we won and thats all that matters". While other looked at how pathetic of a first half Dallas played and how they needed last minute Romo magic to beat one of the worst teams in football....and because of that, the win was not even remotely impressive.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Merry Christmas. I am certainly no psychiatrist and I've never played one on TV, so I cant give a definitive answer. My guess is that its just a matter of each fan's perspective. Some think we're one win away and then "anything can happen". While others think winning this week is a longshot and if the improbable happens and Dallas wins, the following week it will be an even longer shot. Its kinda like the Minnesota game...some people had the attitude after the game like "who cares, we won and thats all that matters". While other looked at how pathetic of a first half Dallas played and how they needed last minute Romo magic to beat one of the worst teams in football....and because of that, the win was not even remotely impressive.

I hear that. I used to hold out the slightest hope that numbnuts would wake up and this O could carry this team to some post season success via Dez, Murray, Witten, etc. but have lost that hope, even before the Romo injury. I couldn't hold out hope that this O would turn it on and become dominat(ish) to cover for the D, similar to the NO team that won it all. JJ/JG's incompetence has stripped that hope and knowing JJ ain't going anywhere, all I can really hope for is an improved coaching regime and to blow this thing up.

I also feel this is why there are so many diehard Dez supporters. He is the only "freak" talent that could go on a tear and really take this team deeper into the postseason but he is neglected, and told to run 15 yard outs every play, etc.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I get it. I guess I just don't understand even small optimism. But I guess if all you do is follow the Cowboys you probably don't realize that there isn't really a dominant team out there aside from the Seahawks at home. Everyone is beatable. But no one should fear the Panthers or Aint's on the road. Even the 49ers.

But I get it. Its almost a bit looney to even expect this team to even win Sunday. But I guess i'm looney lol. I don't know if they'll win but i'm excited about the game and if we pull that victory out? My optimism will increase.

In regards to how we beat the Deadskins....I don't feel anyone should be ashamed about that. I don't hear the 9ers crying about how they almost lost to the Falcons who actually is the worst team in the NFL or one of them anyway.

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
She looks like Dee from Sunny in Phili (watching in background :)),

Wow yeah she does! I have only seen that show a few times, it's pretty funny. Have you seen Curb Your Enthusiasm? She was on that show from time to time. One of my favorite shows.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Yeah love me some Curb :) Yeah she's pretty good. She's actually married to the creator of the show (Mac: Rob McElhenny). Kaitlin Olson. But yeah love Curb, Seinfeld, etc. Costanza (Larry David) is my favorite comedic TV character of all time. Just the darkest and realest character once you analyze him. A narcissist sociopath "yuppie" who gets by with his creative pathological liar behavior. Great "type" of comedy that opened the door for Sunny, Archer, Delocated, Workaholics, etc. Mainly Will Ferrel, the funny narcissist who doesn't realize he is the joke. (East Bound and Down, Ron Burgundy, Ricky Bobby, etc.)

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Not to sidetrack things, but what in the heck happened with Freeman?
That guy looked like a player for a bit...

That is a good question, he did look promising but has dropped off the map since Schiano took over (not a knock on the coach). Something in Fla and young folks don't mix.

Corso

Reaction score
Yeah love me some Curb :) Yeah she's pretty good. She's actually married to the creator of the show (Mac: Rob McElhenny). Kaitlin Olson. But yeah love Curb, Seinfeld, etc. Costanza (Larry David) is my favorite comedic TV character of all time. Just the darkest and realest character once you analyze him. A narcissist sociopath "yuppie" who gets by with his creative pathological liar behavior. Great "type" of comedy that opened the door for Sunny, Archer, Delocated, Workaholics, etc. Mainly Will Ferrel, the funny narcissist who doesn't realize he is the joke. (East Bound and Down, Ron Burgundy, Ricky Bobby, etc.)

Costanza was one of the best characters to ever be created.
So complexly simple.
You are very right about him.
And Jason Alexander was brilliant playing him.

Spectre

Reaction score
There's decent thought behind the Kitna signing. It's a contingency plan, for what if, behind a got-with-what-you-got scenario. He's very, very unlikely to play at all. So there's some sense in having a vet (who's been here recently) on the sidelines for support, liason, etc. If he has to play, it's basically an all is lost situation anyhow, so might as well be with someone who's at least been there, done that and is less likely to be overwhelmed in big lights of a big game. He's not the Cowboys future QB... He's a backup for a single elimination scenario.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Apparently nobody is familiar with the term stopgap.

Kitna is looking for some quick money to buy Xmas presents and maybe a vacation to the Bahamas for a simple week's work. The chances of him stepping onto the field are slim.

Face it, he's old, over the hill, but who else is going to step into this offense and actually know what they are doing? Answer: absolutely nobody.