News: Jonathan Vilma: Dak is average without Zeke or Cooper

davidariust24

Reaction score
I used to say he was average but he has improved dramatically, and I mean where it counts. His accuracy/trajectory has improved big time. The velocity of his throws has increased as if he has gotten stronger. He knows when he has to run now instead of just running while players are open. He is seeing the field better and faster. He makes just about every throw, even the ones that John Gruden used to call " put it in the Turkey hole" throws or tight throws where a there is a defender on two sides of the receiver and the sideline is on the other side. He has become an elite QB.

The only throw I'd like to see Dak master now is the back shoulder fade. These throws take trust and understanding between the QB and the receiver. Romo made a living out of that throw. Dez scored so many TDs from that throw. When Dak masters that along with all that he already has , He will be unstoppable. Bradys TD to Antonio Brown was a back shoulder fade. That's just something ID personally like for him to master because once he starts doing that he can manipulate a defense on his own and he will show he doesn't need a certain type of offense to be great. I'm just having fun watching this guy grow. He is already very good and is going to be great.

risco

Reaction score

risco

Reaction score
He also said that Zeke was hurt last season. When did that happen? :huh:
It's a dangerous sports- I'd imagine several players were hurt at some point last season. Again, talking heads are saying nothing.

Ken

Reaction score
It is going to be interesting to see the offense operate once teams realize they have to choose between stopping the passing game or the running game against Dallas or even play us straight up.

That is where Dak has really stepped it up this year IMO - in taking advantage of defenses focusing on the run. That is why his play-action numbers are off the charts.
Dak has absolutely gotten better.

But...

The scheme is such that teams don't know what we are going to do before we do it. That was such a disadvantage in past years...not have guys who can win at the skill positions was the other issue.

All are not issues anymore. Thank goodness!

romonumberone

Reaction score
Dak may be average without them.... but he has them and with them he plays well enough.

I feel bad for the unsung heroes. The Offensive line so far is playing lights out... no one is even getting near Dak. Lets give the line some credit.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Betcha Dak will make more dough than Vilma in the near future, if he's not already -- (endorsements galore.):thumbup:

He'll find out just how good Dak is, whenever he gets around to administering a good whupping to his beloved Jets!!

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score
If a QB is average without a good supporting cast. That means the QB is at least a very good QB.

This is the NFL. The QB who can “carry a team” is a MYTH.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If you are a former player of a team other than the Cowboys, almost to a man, their knowledge will always be a little out-dated...a year, maybe 2 years late. The fact that he suggest Dak can't win without Zeke suggest he is basing that opinion off of what happened during Zeke's suspension in 2017. After all, Zeke hasn't missed any other games, so...it's pretty clear he hasn't watched the Cowboys since then...and most likely didn't then, he just "heard" it didn't go well, which is debatable.

My recollection is that our problem was with Tyron out more than Zeke.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Dak's last 16 games:

70% completions
4,307 passing yards
29 passing TDs
8 INTs
106.0 passer rating
7 rushing TDs

I've had my doubts about Dak, but he's being held to an almost impossible standard. What, exactly, would be "good enough" for some folks?

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Didn't another no name guy say nearly the same thing before Dak laughed at him with his tail between his leg after the game. I guess it's next up. AKA Vilma. Better start exercising that tail.

Virginia-Dave

Reaction score
It's just more Cowboys hate. Plenty of former players hate the Cowboys just as much as regular fans hate the Cowboys. They have no real argument, so they parrott what the other haters say. It used to be "Romo is not clutch", but Romo is gone. The new line is "Dak is an average QB that would be nothing without Zeke". Only a SB win will shut them up.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
And Sean Lee...who meant a whole lot more to the defense at the time. The point differential with and without him was pronounced.

That's interesting. I should go back and see who was out when. The "We Sucked in 2017 Because Zeke Was Suspended" narrative really wasn't right.

jday

Reaction score
That's interesting. I should go back and see who was out when. The "We Sucked in 2017 Because Zeke Was Suspended" narrative really wasn't right.
It was certainly part of the problem, but there was alot more to it. The Falcons game happened during that suspension and Dak got abused because Chaz Green couldn't block you on Twitter. After that game, Dak wasn't the same. He didn't really turn it around until he got the opportunity to beat the Falcons in 2018.