Jordan Shipley... draft status?

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Rampage;3028958 said:
so you name 1 other white wr...... and a lot of white tightends are very slow like Witten. we need a fast wr.
You don't think Shipley's fast? Million to one he beats you in a footrace.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
peplaw06;3030053 said:
You don't think Shipley's fast? Million to one he beats you in a footrace.
I think he's got good speed. I don't think he's as fast as most people think and I don't think he will be that fast in the NFL.

Shady12

Reaction score
He's very fast, probably sub 4.45, but fast is fast, and he'll be a slot guy, where it's more about quickness, where he excels. Quick twitch athlete, even a good leaper.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Rampage;3030076 said:
I think he's got good speed. I don't think he's as fast as most people think and I don't think he will be that fast in the NFL.
He's got a 40 time. You think he's just going to get slower for some reason? The pads heavier in the NFL?

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
peplaw06;3030334 said:
He's got a 40 time. You think he's just going to get slower for some reason? The pads heavier in the NFL?
40 times are overrated.

rkell87

Reaction score
Rampage;3028569 said:
my point is white wrs are practically extinct these days. it's a big risk and I would perfer a black wr.

wow. and this is why until now we havent had a black president. i hope you dont call for a black QB.

and besides you could say white people are practically extinct in the nfl but if you can play it should not matter what color you are.

(note to mods this is not a poltical post just a shot at a line of thinking using the most visible example...do not delete)

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;3029370 said:
If you say so but a lot of members on the board hyped Amendola to no end. Before he even played in a game. It was type ridiculous and the reasoning behind it IMO was because he was white.

I can't speak for the rest of the Armadillo fans, but I hyped him because it was fun to do... no other reason, really...

Irvin was a great player and great team mate. He always wanted to win and is a HoF WR from the U. I guess guys from the U like Reggie Wayne and Andre Johnson who also played WR are clearly players you would stay away from right? The U is like a pipeline of NFL talent and we really need to get some players from the U.

I see-- in your world, all players from the University of Texas are to be avoided like the plague, but all players from "the U" are future NFL studs... kinda makes you wonder why UT is a perennial contender for national championships, while "the U" hasn't been a real factor in that race for a long time now... I mean, what with the way they get all these great players, while Texas makes do with not quite ready for prime time players...

Perhaps the most idiotic personnel evaluators out there employ your kind of thinking...

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I dont like generalisations. If you like a USC WR, a Miami QB, a top 5 safety. I dont care that Landry is so-so. Id take Eric Berry top 5.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3030570 said:
I dont like generalisations. If you like a USC WR, a Miami QB, a top 5 safety. I dont care that Landry is so-so. Id take Eric Berry top 5.

they are acceptable to an extent. like Florida WRs and QBs...you avoid them like the plague....but that was from the Spurrier era. They have gone through the Zook and now Meyer eras. So Perhaps that logic has changed. Harvin will probably be way different than past ** WR failures.

Wisconsin gives the NFL solid OL. Alvarez and his staff had a way of grooming these beasts for the riggers of NFL play. Alvarez is gone, but I believe the staff remained basically the same, with one of his assistants taking over at HC. So it is safe to generalize that Wisconsin OL are going to be solid in the NFL.....this same assertion can be made for Iowa OL.

But yes, there are many times when generalizations can be annoying, unfair, and quite frankly a foolish argument. We are all guilty of using them.....

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
rkell87;3030543 said:
wow. and this is why until now we havent had a black president. i hope you dont call for a black QB.

and besides you could say white people are practically extinct in the nfl but if you can play it should not matter what color you are.

(note to mods this is not a poltical post just a shot at a line of thinking using the most visible example...do not delete)
I don't care who the President is. I will never call for a black qb. I just think Shipley is being overrated by UT fans and I would rather not draft him especially early in the draft. the white wr thing is more of a joke. I'm a white guy. but I would seriously pass on any white wrs.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Rampage;3030764 said:
I don't care who the President is. I will never call for a black qb. I just think Shipley is being overrated by UT fans and I would rather not draft him especially early in the draft. the white wr thing is more of a joke. I'm a white guy. but I would seriously pass on any white wrs.

I am a UT fan and I am not overhyping Shipley. The guy catches basically everything you throw to him. He runs great routes. He is fast and quick. He has break away speed. He is squirrelly, quite elusive. He is a great KR and PR. He has a great work ethic.

Now, he has had injury issues and he is older than some of the other draftees.

Still, for my money, the positives outweigh the negatives. He is definitely a WR prospect I hope we take a serious look at. Plus, if he can be had in the mid-rounds, then we can address LT, S, and LB first.

DFWJC

Reaction score
joseephuss;3029829 said:
And how does that change my point? Johsnon was taken #3 overall in 2003. Since then Miami has not produced players of that caliber. In the past the U produced 1 or 2 players of Johnson's caliber and a whole bunch of other players that were solid contributors to NFL teams. Since that 2003 draft they have not really done that. There are very few stars of Andre's stature and fewer guys that you can really count on to help teams out. Most of the guys DB4L listed were drafted in years prior to Andre Johnson. The couple since then are just that, a couple. Miami has had a dry spell in recent years.

Or course any team should have drafted Andre Johnson, but few teams were in a position to do so. Dallas was never in a position to get him since he got drafted at the #3 spot.

I just wouldn't grab a player in any round solely because he went to The U. Just so I am clear it has nothing to do with the stereotype of them being thugs or anything like that. I just don't think the quality is there right now. Maybe in a few years it will be like it was in the past. In the past if you were drafting in any round and had a group of players all graded out about the same you could use the fact that one player was from Miami as the tie breaker to draft him. That is not the case right now.
Not intended to change anyone's point.....just a little rah-rah for AJ.

Shady12

Reaction score
Rampage;3030416 said:
40 times are overrated.

I agree. Roy Williams has a much faster 40 than Terrell Owens, but who looks faster on the field? This argument supports Shipley, as he's a guy who you can just watch and see he has great football speed.

I'm a UT fan and not overhyping him..for example, I have always doubted McCoy's NFL potential. I just don't see it. Hope I'm wrong. But Shipley is a guy who IMO can step into the NFL as a rookie and be a good slot guy and returner. I hate bringing race into anything but if he was black I think he'd be hyped as a Maclin type guy.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Like I said--on the upside, Shipley is somewhere between Hakeem Nicks and Austin Collie. I think he'll make someone's team for sure, but I'm not sure how good he'll be....guess we'll see. As for Maclin comparisons; I think Maclin is more explosive, but Shipley is quicker than most. He would be an upgrade (after a year or so) to Crayton in the slot. I would not spend a 1st rounder on him...but maybe a 4th.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Rampage;3030764 said:

I thought you were proud to be black? Dont jump ship now

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3031323 said:
I thought you were proud to be black? Dont jump ship now
I pulled a Michael Jackson on you fools and went white:laugh2:

rkell87

Reaction score
Rampage;3030764 said:

Rampage said:
I'm a black man and I took offense to it

ummmm.....?