Josh Brent better be better than Okoye

conner01

Reaction score
we really have nothing to lose. we need more depth on the dline, he is availible. we've seen him on the field for a couple weeks so we know how close he is to being ready. i don't expect huge things out of him but i do think he is an upgrade over hayden who i think is actually better than most here think. if he can get back to being the player he was he can help the team. if not you cut him and move on
okoye is not ready to play so really has no effect on him anyways.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
[SIZE=+0]This Josh Brent deal doesn’t pass the smell test. I’m concerned it could cause a locker room diversion. First let me say, I’m all for giving someone a second or even a third chance. True Josh paid his debt to society and I wish him well. With that said: why would Jerry come out earlier this year, and state that when Josh’s eligible he has a spot on the 56 man roster. That’s just doesn’t add up to me. Josh was coming along but he wasn’t that great that he’s “guaranteed” a roster spot. Does Jerry feel responsible and therefore obligated to Josh? More important, is Marinneli ok with this? If he’s not and this is more of Jerry’s BS, I guarantee you he wont be back next year. I.(eg Parcells TO). If Josh came in and actually earned a roster soft by competing in training camp, I would be all in. I hope I’m completely off base and Josh comes in a helps the team, but from where I sit something stinks in D.[/SIZE]

This team has backed and supported Brent since day 1 when this tragic event happened. If you recall he was on the sidelines in street clothes during a game because they wanted him there. This is not going to cause a division. Brent is getting a chance and one he can't afford to blow and if falls to him to get himself ready physically and mentally but he will have the support of his teammates that I have no doubts about

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
[SIZE=+0]This Josh Brent deal doesn’t pass the smell test. I’m concerned it could cause a locker room diversion. First let me say, I’m all for giving someone a second or even a third chance. True Josh paid his debt to society and I wish him well. With that said: why would Jerry come out earlier this year, and state that when Josh’s eligible he has a spot on the 56 man roster. That’s just doesn’t add up to me. Josh was coming along but he wasn’t that great that he’s “guaranteed” a roster spot. Does Jerry feel responsible and therefore obligated to Josh? More important, is Marinneli ok with this? If he’s not and this is more of Jerry’s BS, I guarantee you he wont be back next year. I.(eg Parcells TO). If Josh came in and actually earned a roster soft by competing in training camp, I would be all in. I hope I’m completely off base and Josh comes in a helps the team, but from where I sit something stinks in D.[/SIZE]

You don't appear to be very well informed.

1. It's a 53 man roster, not 56.

2. They just signed him to a contract extension though next season. Why would he not be here next year?

Primetime42

Reaction score

They'd have two completely different roles. One of the big components this defense is lacking is the giant 1T tackle. Think Mebane in Seattle. They're hoping Brent can provide that.

Between Melton & Crawford, and occasional snaps for maybe Coleman, they're OK at the 3T.

As for all the other nonsense in the OP, this is why certain people shouldn't have thread-starting rights.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I believe Jerry said he has a spot on the roster for TC.
When did they go to 56 man roster?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brent is too fat and hasn't played for almost two years but is here he is. The same could be said: but here he's is

And how did the chance on Rolando McClain work out. Did not play and came in a bit overweight, not in shape from not playing.....

jaybird

Reaction score
I have questions.

If Josh Brent's presence on the roster did not present a locker room diversion following Jerry Brown's death leading up to the trial, why would it now?

Why would a statement from Jerry Jones about a roster transaction seem atypical after acknowledging Jones has given numerous public comments about roster transactions to the media over the past 25 years?

Hasn't Jones demonstrated publicly of his personal attachments for his team's players over the past two-and-a-half decades?

Would Rod Marinelli truly be offended injecting proven usable talent into his defensive line rotation, especially after scrounging for replacements in the past?

Really? A Terrell Owens analogy?

Is it possible your apprehension may be somewhat exaggerated given the circumstances?

It obivous to me for reasons other than football Jerry made this decision in the spring. Another coaching de
I think you have an agenda and it's showing now. He played at 320 he's at 330. I will take Okoyes word over yours any day. If he says the guy can move, I believe him. You calling him "fat" and blasting Jerry with some type of conspiracy shows you have an agenda. So enjoy the locked th
I didn't say he's too fat the coaches have been saying that. He's had all summer to get in shape and the he's still too fat to play. I'm not the one with an agenda. What message does that send the rest of the team. It doesn't matter how dedicated to the team you are, or how you work it doesn't matter, jerry has his own agenda. I have never heard of an owner guarantee a roster spot to a marignal player that's been out
I think you have an agenda and it's showing now. He played at 320 he's at 330. I will take Okoyes word over yours any day. If he says the guy can move, I believe him. You calling him "fat" and blasting Jerry with some type of conspiracy shows you have an agenda. So enjoy the locked thread
I did not say he was too fat, the coaches did. What message does that send the rest of the team? It doesn't matter how hard you work it's really comes down to Jerry's agenda. Brent was going to get a chance to play no matter what. D Colman, Okoye and Hayden are not over weight. Brent Has had all summer to get in shape

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It obivous to me for reasons other than football Jerry made this decision in the spring. Another coaching de

I did not say he was too fat, the coaches did. What message does that send the rest of the team? It doesn't matter how hard you work it's really comes down to Jerry's agenda. Brent was going to get a chance to play no matter what. D Colman, Okoye and Hayden are not over weight. Brent Has had all summer to get in shape

Coaches did say he was over weight and needs to lose some and because of that there is a good chance he will not be on the 46 man game day roster.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Jerry pulled a Costner... Like Costner said in Draft Day... Im the GM i provide the players you coach them.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Last chance..Discuss the thread without taking cheap shots or enjoy the vacation.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I don't think there was any plan to play Okoye this year, so he's not in the picture.

Instead, it comes down to whether Brent might be better than Hayden or Terrell McClain, and it's probably worth taking a shot that he could be at some point this season. If we had two world beaters at 1-tech, then we possibly would have seen Dallas just cut Brent and give him a chance to restart his career elsewhere.

As is, we're just trying to find out who we can count on the most on this defense. But it would surprise me to even see Brent on the active roster at this point.

dwreck27

Reaction score
He's paid his dude and im not God to reserve any further judgment on the guy...

Let him play he's probably nothing but a rotational guy who can give a breather and at this point in the season Ill take that...