Journalist Jim Trotter sues league for discrimination, referencing incident with Jerry Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagman

Reaction score
You do realize Jerry makes tons of money off said minorities... what I what him to do? be a good human... not say dumb, insensitive crap... (maybe)... Not ignore minorities were blocked from ownership in the NFL until like 'Last week', LOL!!

Why did you referenced that you are a minority when we are discussing a human decency issue? Every CEO or corporate president would be fired for this statement...

Never understood why folks willingly align themselves on the wrong side of history... :huh:
Stop virtue signaling. You're embarrassing yourself. It's America. He's entitled to his opinion. Sorry if you don't agree with it.

BEARCATSKLZ

Reaction score
Stop virtue signaling. You're embarrassing yourself. It's America. He's entitled to his opinion. Sorry if you don't agree with it.
Being American says I can.. so no apology needed. The entire thread consist of virtue signaling in one aspect or another, mine just don't align with yours.

Last edited:

BEARCATSKLZ

Reaction score
I sincerely DO NOT AGREE with Jerry Jones here. I think that attitude should be left in the Stone Age where it belongs. I also don't think ANYONE has the right or obligation to ask that question. What kind of answer did he expect? You basically accuse someone with a loaded question and jump all over them with their answer. It probably angered the old drunk and he shot off his ignorant mouth, like always. One more factor to consider.......at least in Dallas.....Will McClay holds an extremely powerful position in the franchise. A position many, many other teams do not afford to people of color.
Many other "teams" would give him the title of General Manager too... :thumbup:

rags747

Reaction score
Listen, someone was obviously dismissed for performance. Very easy to come out and make all sorts of claims. Prove it Buddy!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DE today on mod duty:

giphy.gif
I will add one more thing, since you lovingly posted this and that idiotic song has been driving me nuts. I really cannot stand Sponge Bob. My dislike is so bad that my stomach starts churning as soon as I heard the words, "ARE YOU READY KIDS? OHHHHHH!"

:banghead:

nobody

Reaction score
I will add one more thing, since you lovingly posted this and that idiotic song has been driving me nuts. I really cannot stand Sponge Bob. My dislike is so bad that my stomach starts churning as soon as I heard the words, "ARE YOU READY KIDS? OHHHHHH!"

:banghead:
*sung to the theme of Spongebob* Who is a moderator and is King of the Nerds? That DallasEast gent!

rags747

Reaction score
Your question has a premise, that premise is an assumption of the question. In this case you are making the assumption that because the NFL has never listed kneeling as a cause for a cut is meaningful. I am saying that it demonstrates nothing.

I guess if you want me to answer it directly I would say that the the NFL has never listed kneeling as a reason to cut a player but that does not mean they have not. Firms do it all the time to avoid all kinds of issues from EEO to workers comp to unemployment payments.

That is besides the point because the NFL including Jerry Jones himself actively discouraged the players speaking or acting out on the issue.
Do What you employer tells you to do. If you do not like the job then I have a list of 50 people that will sign up for it tomorrow and We will consider you as having officially resigned. If you are interested in social issues then please go volunteer your time somewhere where they will appreciate you. Quite simple…

rags747

Reaction score
A quick google search shows JJ has a bit of a habit saying stupid stuff like this. Not that it makes it right. He’s gotta be better though it’s just a terrible, terrible look.

I really hope he addresses this with the players rather quickly.
Jerry needs to offer safe spaces for all who are offended by something that was never said! Gotta love it! Oh, that’s right…Billionaire Bad! MBGA…

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I hope some day we will judge people by their character and not by their skin color. I am all for a post racial world. Just stop any description of race altogether.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Do What you employer tells you to do. If you do not like the job then I have a list of 50 people that will sign up for it tomorrow and We will consider you as having officially resigned. If you are interested in social issues then please go volunteer your time somewhere where they will appreciate you. Quite simple…
What does that have to do with anything I wrote? I am not saying that NFL teams cannot cut who they want. I am just saying that employers have and will lie about that type of thing to avoid the consequences of their actions.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ry-pegula-made-racist-comment-lawsuit-alleges

-----------------------------------------------------

Buffalo Bills owner Terry Pegula allegedly made a racist comment about Black players in the NFL, according to a racial discrimination lawsuit against the league filed Tuesday by longtime reporter Jim Trotter.

Trotter alleges in the lawsuit that in 2020, a fellow NFL Media reporter recalled a conversation he had with Pegula, who was speaking to the reporter about the NFL's social justice initiatives and Black Lives Matter.

The reporter, who was not identified in the lawsuit, told Trotter and approximately 40 other NFL Media coworkers during a Zoom call that Pegula said, "If the Black players don't like it here, they should go back to Africa and see how bad it is."

The lawsuit states that Trotter, who is Black, pressed executives at NFL Media to investigate Pegula's comments, which were "highly offensive and racist," but that he was "repeatedly brushed off and told that 'the league office is investigating it.'"

Pegula has denied making the comment.

"The statement attributed to me in Mr. Trotter's complaint is absolutely false," Pegula said Tuesday in a statement. "I am horrified that anyone would connect me to an allegation of this kind. Racism has no place in our society and I am personally disgusted that my name is associated with this complaint."

The lawsuit also mentions Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who allegedly told Trotter in 2020 that "If Blacks feel some kind of way, they should buy their own team and hire who they want to hire."

Jones' comment allegedly was made during a conversation with Cowboys executive Will McClay, who is Black, and Trotter about "why teams have so few Black decision-makers," according to the lawsuit. Trotter, who described the exchange as "rather contentious," said that Jones ultimately suggested that he and Trotter "should 'agree to disagree' about the NFL's issues with race."

Jones said in a statement that the lawsuit's "representation" of his exchange with Trotter is "simply not accurate."

"Diversity and inclusion are extremely important to me personally and to the NFL," Jones said. "The representation made by Jim Trotter of a conversation that occurred over three years ago with myself and our VP of Player Personnel Will McClay is simply not accurate."

Trotter's employment at league-owned NFL Media, which oversees the NFL Network, ended earlier this year. The lawsuit, filed in the United States District Court for the South District of New York, names the NFL and NFL Network as defendants and alleges that Trotter was terminated because he "challenged Commissioner Roger Goodell and others regarding the NFL's record of race discrimination and lack of diversity."

The NFL issued a statement disputing Trotter's allegations.

"We share Jim Trotter's passion for quality journalism created in and supported by a diverse and inclusive environment," the league said. "We take his concerns seriously, but strongly dispute his specific allegations, particularly those made against his dedicated colleagues at NFL Media."

The NFL said Trotter's contract was not renewed as a result of business decisions made to address "a challenging economy and a changing media environment."

Trotter is seeking unspecified damages and called for a "full-scale investigation into the discriminatory and/or retaliatory animus of all persons in position of power within the NFL, including the NFL team owners."

"The NFL and team owners have repeatedly shown they are unable to monitor and police themselves, making these equitable measures a necessary component of any awarded relief," the lawsuit says.

Trotter is being represented by the same law firm as former Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores, who sued the NFL and three teams last year, accusing the league and its teams of discriminatory hiring practices in coaching searches.

Trotter previously covered the NFL for ESPN and currently works for The Athletic. He said in a statement posted to social media that he filed the lawsuit because he "can't complain about things that are wrong if I'm unwilling to fight for what is right," and that he hopes the lawsuit "leads to real change across the league and in the newsroom."

rags747

Reaction score
I fear that the two comments will get mixed up and Jerry will be credited with and blamed for what the Bills owner said.:(
The Bills owner said Nothing, he has already denied it. It was all said in conversation Supposedly. Let Trotter prove his false statements. Seems like a disgruntled former employee to me But what else is new. Get released and blame everyone for your failure and weaknesses, whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.