Julius Jones Is A "Pile Seeking RB"...

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
...sorry to sound too critical of Julius but even Parcells admitted publicly today that Julius came up small yesterday. That's the first time I've heard him say something like that about JJ's performance. He has mentioned his ability to stay healthy, but in today's PC, Parcells basically said JJ did not play well yesterday. That is a real disappointment as we make our December push because, as good as MB3 is, Julius should be giving us more big plays in the running game.

I believe once again, it's late in the season and Julius is hurting. I did not say "injured", just hurting and unfortunately with JJ that affects his play.
I've thought for the past few weeks that Parcells has been trying to nurse JJ through the middle part of the season and save something for the December push. Unfortunately, JJ isn't doing anything more than just running straight ahead with little wiggle or agility. One thing he has been doing that is very annoying is running with his head down and failing to see the cut back lanes. It's almost as if he's looking for a pile to plow into.

You've heard of a "heat-seeking missle"? Well JJ has quickly become a "pile-seeking RB".

If he doesn't pick it up soon it could be a very interesting off-season for JJ.

Reaction score
I can understand your fustration because I am now seeing the same thing on the field, where's the old Julius Jones that took the ball outside and gained like 25 or 30 yards when the hole was closed....

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
It's interesting that Parcells is being critical of this behavior, as many people thought Parcells was the one driving this mentality into Jones. It seems to me that Jones is either timid or "lazy" in that he doesn't try to get as much out of each play as possible. Maybe he just doesn't have the vision to be a good RB, because from the TV it seems that the holes he's missing are obvious.

Edit: After re-reading the OP I can tell that Bill wasn't critical of Jones in that he's a "pile-seeker."

2much2soon

Reaction score
This is a tough call. Parcells has stuck with his 3-4 year rule on several players to give them time to work out.
But RB is a critical position. If he thinks he can get a draft pick, and doesn't think JJ is ever going to be consistent, then JJ could be gone. And Dallas will be looking RB in the draft next year.
Like his older brother, maybe JJ needs a change of scenery.

Reaction score
This is what JJ really needs imo. No more pats on the back and more kicks in the.....well, you know. He needs to run like his job depends on it...cuz it does. With that said......Look for him to try to cut back and try to get outside early and often on sunday.

yennor24

Reaction score
I re-watched the game on tape after some of you mentioned JJ's running and you are right, there are a couple of runs he could have bounced outside and went 1 on 1 with a DB but he chose to run into a pile of men and fall down. Also, he went down on the initial contact on every run. It didn't matter if it was a leg tackle or up high he was going down. I really think Barber, even with his lack of speed, should get more carries because he gives the team the best chance to win.......

STSINAZ

Reaction score
he is hurt, about 4 or 5 games ago he got cracked in the back or something...he hasnt been the same ever since...he is too small to make it in the NFL...i toldyou guys that last year and the year before...no one wants to listen...they want to homerize people...he is not an every down back! i think now you can finally see it...three years in a row should show you its no fluke, i know parcells sees it...we will have someone else in here next year mark it down...or barber will get most of the carries and JJ will get 10 to 12 a game to try and hit the home run....especially when teams are tired...

marchetta

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1208837 said:
... where's the old Julius Jones that took the ball outside and gained like 25 or 30 yards when the hole was closed....

Parcells killed him. BP has instilled this fear into JJ to "trust the play" and go to where the hole is supposed to be, even if it's not there. Bp is so afraid of negative plays, that he's taken away JJ ability to improvise. As a result, JJ rarely bounces outside as he did his 1st year. Chuck Knox Jr. was critical of JJ not being able to see alternate holes when running. Funny, JJ had no problem finding the holes his 1st year. BP has changed JJ from a free-running back that could improvise and bounce outside, to a straight-ahead runner. While this may not lead to many negative yardage plays, it means a lot less homerun plays that result when you run free.

STSINAZ

Reaction score
ALSO jj can go back to running back kicks too if he is put in the 10 to 12 carry role...it will boost us there

Reaction score
He can't be that bad, or BP would bench him.

Pile-seeking RB? I don't see it that way at all.

I'm sure you'll retract your criticism if he has a big day Sunday :rolleyes:

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
marchetta;1208895 said:
Parcells killed him. BP has instilled this fear into JJ to "trust the play" and go to where the hole is supposed to be, even if it's not there. Bp is so afraid of negative plays, that he's taken away JJ ability to improvise. As a result, JJ rarely bounces outside as he did his 1st year. Chuck Knox Jr. was critical of JJ not being able to see alternate holes when running. Funny, JJ had no problem finding the holes his 1st year. BP has changed JJ from a free-running back that could improvise and bounce outside, to a straight-ahead runner. While this may not lead to many negative yardage plays, it means a lot less homerun plays that result when you run free.

Total nonsense. Big bad Parcells has no clue what it takes to be a good runninback, right? JJ should have just ignored him so he could put up huge numbers twice a season and pacify the easily pleased fanbase.

I think that the fanbase has overrated Julius Jones, he is a decent player, but certainly not the next Emmitt or a franchise back like so many annointed him after a game on Thanksgiving. I believe that Barber should get the majority of the carries, he catches better, he blocks better, he trusts the play and actually picks up positive yardage. He runs angry and thats a great quality to have from your RB.

Maybe Julius is like his brother and it will take him a few years to figure it all out, but right now its clear who the more productive back on the team is.

Reaction score
marchetta;1208895 said:

Yeah something has happened, I remember seeing the explosiveness that made me think of Tony Dorsett and now I'm like what in the world....

Mash

Reaction score
We will be drafting a RB high this year....JMHO.....Jones...doesnt see the holes...doesnt have the speed...and rarely makes people miss anymore...

JMHO

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
Mash;1208946 said:
We will be drafting a RB high this year....JMHO.....Jones...doesnt see the holes...doesnt have the speed...and rarely makes people miss anymore...

JMHO

He has the speed, its just that I think hes thinking and trying way too hard. yeah this sounds kinda wierd cuz obviously the players try their hardest , but maybe hes just thinking waay too much?

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
kØwbØy;1208949 said:
He has the speed, its just that I think hes thinking and trying way too hard. yeah this sounds kinda wierd cuz obviously the players try their hardest , but maybe hes just thinking waay too much?
he doesn't look much faster than barber. he looks like he packed on 2 much muscle and lost some speed and agility in the process.

aikemirv

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;1208830 said:
...sorry to sound too critical of Julius but even Parcells admitted publicly today that Julius came up small yesterday. That's the first time I've heard him say something like that about JJ's performance. He has mentioned his ability to stay healthy, but in today's PC, Parcells basically said JJ did not play well yesterday. That is a real disappointment as we make our December push because, as good as MB3 is, Julius should be giving us more big plays in the running game.

I believe once again, it's late in the season and Julius is hurting. I did not say "injured", just hurting and unfortunately with JJ that affects his play.
I've thought for the past few weeks that Parcells has been trying to nurse JJ through the middle part of the season and save something for the December push. Unfortunately, JJ isn't doing anything more than just running straight ahead with little wiggle or agility. One thing he has been doing that is very annoying is running with his head down and failing to see the cut back lanes. It's almost as if he's looking for a pile to plow into.

You've heard of a "heat-seeking missle"? Well JJ has quickly become a "pile-seeking RB".

If he doesn't pick it up soon it could be a very interesting off-season for JJ.

Please tell me where you heard that in the PC?

What minute that is.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
marchetta;1208895 said:
I totally agree. He is playing conservatively, taking two or three rather than cutting back for the bigger play because Parcells doesn't want negative plays.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
bigbadroy;1208953 said:
he doesn't look much faster than barber. he looks like he packed on 2 much muscle and lost some speed and agility in the process.

It was mentioned I think in the off-season. but theres no doubt that everytime, JJ touches the ball IMO Im not expecting a home-RUN.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
speedkilz88;1208959 said:
I totally agree. He is playing conservatively, taking two or three rather than cutting back for the bigger play because Parcells doesn't want negative plays.

I agree, too, although I know others will kill us for it. :) I think Julius is trying so hard to please Parcells by running north and south that he's giving up big runs to the outside.

But you know, earlier in the year it seemed like Julius was doing the best of both worlds, so maybe he's just in a little slump. The JJ bashers do realize that can happen over a 16-game season, right?

proline

Reaction score
I want to see the Julius from the Bears game two years ago make an appearance more often .... Where did THAT Julius go?