Julius Jones Is A "Pile Seeking RB"...

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
proline;1208990 said:
I want to see the Julius from the Bears game two years ago make an appearance more often .... Where did THAT Julius go?
ask his muscles

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
It's interesting to see this transformation, where it seems Barber is slowly becoming the more featured back.

My thing with Julius is it seems like he just really struggles against some teams. He started the year so well but hasn't played like that since Romo took over. Is he hurt? Worn down? Is Parcells resting him hoping for one big game in the playoffs?

Barber seems like the more sure bet at this point, but a struggling Julius still has a role in this offense. I don't think it's time to give up on him.

I do agree, though, with the notion that we might attempt to draft a top-flight back in April if one is available. If there's a weakness on offense, it's Julius' ability to gain 100 yards every week. And as good as Barber is, I'm not convinced he's a 16-game starter, though I hope he can be.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
I think JJ, really just is tired, this is his first full season, and i dont think he was really truly prepared to take this kind of beating for an entire season, and yea he may say he's ready, but i think he's just tired. Hopefully next year he can bounce back, and him and barber can be go on to be come the most deadlist duo in league history

sacase

Reaction score
marchetta;1208895 said:
Parcells killed him. BP has instilled this fear into JJ to "trust the play" and go to where the hole is supposed to be, even if it's not there. Bp is so afraid of negative plays, that he's taken away JJ ability to improvise. As a result, JJ rarely bounces outside as he did his 1st year. Chuck Knox Jr. was critical of JJ not being able to see alternate holes when running. Funny, JJ had no problem finding the holes his 1st year. BP has changed JJ from a free-running back that could improvise and bounce outside, to a straight-ahead runner. While this may not lead to many negative yardage plays, it means a lot less homerun plays that result when you run free.

This is EXACTLY what is going on with JJ.

ghst187

Reaction score
I really wanted Maroney or DeAngelo Williams last year in the first round.
How cool would it be to have MBIII and Maroney back together again?
I thought both Maroney and Williams were absolute steals late first last year.
I did think I liked the Carp pick at the time though too.

anyway....
If JJ keeps running the same way he is now....what does he add that Tyson Thompson can't?
I think that's a question that our scouts have to consider next offseason. From what I've seen, Thompson can run just as well as JJ is.
If that's the case, JJ can fetch some trade value and we can find a hidden gem in the draft. RBs are easy to find and quick to contribute, typically.

Fan Since 77

Reaction score
To the people that are saying Bill Parcells caused this? Do you honestly think Bill is coaching Juilus and telling him after games that his pile running is exactly what we want? Hell no. He's asking him what he's doing differently and to start running like he used to. To think that Parcells is hindering his running is ridiculous and simply baseless accusation.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CaptainAmerica;1208830 said:
...sorry to sound too critical of Julius but even Parcells admitted publicly today that Julius came up small yesterday. That's the first time I've heard him say something like that about JJ's performance.

Say what? I didn't hear BP say anything negative about JJ in the PC. What did he say?

(On the recap posted here, some of BP's comments about Hoyte were said to be about JJ, but they weren't).

aikemirv

Reaction score
jimnabby;1209031 said:
Say what? I didn't hear BP say anything negative about JJ in the PC. What did he say?

(On the recap posted here, some of BP's comments about Hoyte were said to be about JJ, but they weren't).

Don't let small facts like this get in the way of this train!!!!

wileedog

Reaction score
marchetta;1208895 said:
Parcells killed him. BP has instilled this fear into JJ to "trust the play" and go to where the hole is supposed to be, even if it's not there. Bp is so afraid of negative plays, that he's taken away JJ ability to improvise. As a result, JJ rarely bounces outside as he did his 1st year. Chuck Knox Jr. was critical of JJ not being able to see alternate holes when running. Funny, JJ had no problem finding the holes his 1st year. BP has changed JJ from a free-running back that could improvise and bounce outside, to a straight-ahead runner. While this may not lead to many negative yardage plays, it means a lot less homerun plays that result when you run free.

Buloney.

Last week he ran smack dab into a safety on a play that his first year he would have juked out of his socks. Are you really going to try and push the theory that Bill has trained him to run right into safeties? This week he gets pulled down by one defender that is partially shielded by an Olineman on the screen. Didn't even make a move, just got tripped up. Again, is Bill coaching him to stop making moves?

And if its Bill's coaching, why does Barber look like a completely different guy right now? Is he coaching him different somehow? Why is Barber able to burst through holes with authority that JJ can't even find?

Either way, most backs don't have long term success bouncing away from the play. Only guy that did was Barry, and JJ is no Sanders.

I think JJ is worn down and having confidence problems. He just doesn't have the burst or wiggle he had earlier in the year. He's missing holes all over the place, and if being coached to follow the play design is what is truly killing him, he was in for a short career anyway. Teams have lots of tape on him now, they know how to defend him.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
jimnabby;1209031 said:
Yeah, I thought Parcells' "trying hard but hitting the backstop" comment was about Hoyte, too...

Spontae

Reaction score
Wait a sec. Not two weeks ago BP praised JJ for running at the safeties, and was critical of MB3 for looking to scoot outside as soon as he broke into the second level of the D...in fact, he was comparing and saying that MB3 had to learn to be more like JJ taking on the safety when you break past the LBers....someone find that damn quote...

Fan Since 77

Reaction score
Spontae;1209048 said:
Wait a sec. Not two weeks ago BP praised JJ for running at the safeties, and was critical of MB3 for looking to scoot outside as soon as he broke into the second level of the D...in fact, he was comparing and saying that MB3 had to learn to be more like JJ taking on the safety when you break past the LBers....someone find that damn quote...

What is so hard about accepting the fact that JJ has lost it on his own. Why do you have to find anybody to blame but JJ himself?

aikemirv

Reaction score
MInute 29;01 Bp talks about Hoyte hitting the backstop, nothing bad about JJ at all. Praises MBII right after that and says he is leaving the stattus the way it is.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
The nation has spoken:

http://img45.*************/img45/6383/13foxlaq3.gif

Spontae

Reaction score
Fan Since 77;1209053 said:
What is so hard about accepting the fact that JJ has lost it on his own. Why do you have to find anybody to blame but JJ himself?

1) I do not accept as fact that JJ has "lost it," I simply believe he had a less-than-average showing against NY

2) I'm not blaming anyone, simply pointing out that BP praised JJ for running at safeties rather than dashing to the outside, so maybe JJ has altered his running style (and not necessarily in a negative way)

heavyg

Reaction score
bigbadroy;1208953 said:
he doesn't look much faster than barber. he looks like he packed on 2 much muscle and lost some speed and agility in the process.

If he packed on muscle he didn't pack it on where it was needed. HIS LEGS!!!! The kid still has chicken legs. I think that is his main problem. He lacks the power to go through even arm tackles. He seems to go down on fist contact.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
aikemirv;1209054 said:
MInute 29;01 Bp talks about Hoyte hitting the backstop, nothing bad about JJ at all. Praises MBII right after that and says he is leaving the stattus the way it is.

I took it from the transcript, so if I'm wrong, I'm sorry for misstating it. I was actually surprised he would say anything negative about JJ since JJ is kind of sensitive to criticism.

The point is however, that JJ is not finding the holes and running with vision and authority. That's pretty obvious whether Parcells points it out or not.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
heavyg;1209084 said:
If he packed on muscle he didn't pack it on where it was needed. HIS LEGS!!!! The kid still has chicken legs. I think that is his main problem. He lacks the power to go through even arm tackles. He seems to go down on fist contact.
wow if thats what you call chicken legs i wonder what you think a good size is