Just got home from the game...

DipChit

Reaction score
theogt;1260032 said:
If we had called 4 straight pass plays instead of run plays Romo would have scored on the 1. If the O-line wouldn't have made ridiculous penalities and let open the flood gates, several drives would have been different.

On one of the sacks, Rivera literally fell to the ground without hardly being touched.

I understand. I have no beef with Romo in particular today. Just the offense as a whole.

Course I'm one that actually believes a teams offense can help their defense more than vice versa.. by in large.

I can have a killer defense and cause a number of 3 and outs but if my offense flat cant execute it wont matter much... other than keeping the score lower than it might otherwise be.

OTOH if my offense can score a bunch of points it forces mistakes by the other teams offense even if my defense is fairly ordinary because they have to press to try and keep up instead of merely dictate.

Just saying.. todays game seemed to me like we could've just as well lost 10-7 as 40-7.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
DipChit;1260044 said:
I understand. I have no beef with Romo in particular today. Just the offense as a whole.

Course I'm one that actually believes a teams offense can help their defense more than vice versa.. by in large.

I can have a killer defense and cause a number of 3 and outs but if my offense flat cant execute it wont matter much... other than keeping the score lower than it might otherwise be.

OTOH if my offense can score a bunch of points it forces mistakes by the other teams offense even if my defense is fairly ordinary because they have to press to try and keep up instead of merely dictate.

Just saying.. todays game seemed to me like we could've just as well lost 10-7 as 40-7.
And it could've just as well been 14-10 going into the half. For some reason, I didn't come away from this game as dejected as everyone else did. This game seemed to be about 3-4 plays away from us winning it (no fumble on the return, a few less penalties, and a dropped pass or two, and for chrissakes punching it into the endzone with 4 tries). We were only down 9 points half-way through the 4th. Ridiculous penalties and play by the offensive line killed us, though.

Kilyin

Reaction score
theogt;1260036 said:
Like I've said three times now, I came away thinking it was his best performance. He made numerous incredible plays. He was perfectly on target all night.

This loss was definitely not on Romo. Sometimes I wonder if this team will ever have a respectable pass rush. TO needs to play more defense I guess, because he sure as hell can't catch.

DipChit

Reaction score
theogt;1260046 said:
And it could've just as well been 14-10 going into the half. For some reason, I didn't come away from this game as dejected as everyone else did. This game seemed to be about 3-4 plays away from us winning it (no fumble on the return, a few less penalties, and a dropped pass or two, and for chrissakes punching it into the endzone with 4 tries). We were only down 9 points half-way through the 4th. Ridiculous penalties and play by the offensive line killed us, though.

I wasnt that dejected either but I wasnt one that expected we'd hammer them in the first place. I know you were cautious as well.

I know everyone is ragging on the defense as of late and rightfully so but this is 2 out of 3 now where the offense has struggled too. And I think that could hurt us as much overall as the D when push might come to shove. We just need to get more polished one way or the other.

Fumbles, penalties, o-line breakdowns whatever.. but 7 is 7 and that wont cut it.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
I don't know why people feel the need to protect or defend Romo like he's untouchable or something. Yes, the defense was the major culprit, but Tony did have a poor game today. He was among many in that regard, but pointing that out doesn't make me or anyone else a heretic.

Chevyman08

Reaction score
Our linebackers can't cover anyone. The Saints game exposed them and now everyone is taking advantage.

Romo played well considering he didn't have time to do much. We got away from the running game too soon.
Except for the 4 running plays in a row on the goal line.

No emotion from the Defense they looked dead out there.
Same thing I saw against the Saints.

The crowd was taken out of the game early.

I hate that my son's first Cowboy game at Texas stadium was a pathetic effort by the Cowboys but he enjoyed just being there.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
theogt;1260036 said:
Like I've said three times now, I came away thinking it was his best performance. He made numerous incredible plays. He was perfectly on target all night.

OGT I am with you.

Not sure if I would say it was his "best" but I thought he was 1 of 2 players who played like they wanted to win.

That other being McBriar (which is sad I know).

I am not just defending Romo because he is talking to Underwood or becuase some think its blasphemy.

How was he bad statistically? 2 INTs?

1 was a bad throw and poor attemtp by TO (Plaxico-like) and the other he was just trying to make a play when we were down 16. It happens.

Other than that he avoided a ton of pressures and made up for bone-head playes (IE high snap).

He was also our leading rusher.

So saying he had a poor game or comparing his play to his NO play is ridiculous.

Oh well. I am sure to read 10 pages on this thread tomorrow.

I am with you OGT on this 1 (may be the 1st time we agreed on something ;))

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
theogt;1259997 said:
I'm reading some of the threads and it appears people were down on Romo. Maybe it appeared differently on television, but in person it looked like he had an incredible day. He had the INT in the endzone, but TO simply gave up on the ball. Yes, it was a bad throw, but my god he had so many incredible plays in that game. That was perhaps his most impressive performance in my opinion.

What's the deal? Did it look that much different on television?

I'll post more thoughts on the game tomorrow, because tonight I'm exhausted. Drove for about 8+ hours today.

I was at the game and Romo looked like crap -- just like the rest of the team. I'm done with 'em for this year. They aren't worthe my time, effort, money, or emotions.

What a HUGE letdown this season is....

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
theogt;1259997 said:
I'm reading some of the threads and it appears people were down on Romo. Maybe it appeared differently on television, but in person it looked like he had an incredible day. He had the INT in the endzone, but TO simply gave up on the ball. Yes, it was a bad throw, but my god he had so many incredible plays in that game. That was perhaps his most impressive performance in my opinion.

I'll post more thoughts on the game tomorrow, because tonight I'm exhausted. Drove for about 8+ hours today.

Thank you for confirming this. It looked like that on TV.

lspain1

Reaction score
I mentioned in the game thread that only two players seemed to show up yesterday....Romo and Ware. In hindsight...I still see it that way.

Tripod

Reaction score
theogt;1259997 said:

An incredible game? An incredible game?
Completed under 50% of his passes, threw 2 INTs (one really stupid throw when we were driving only 9 points down), 3 sacks (2 from holding the ball on key 3rd down plays) and a total of 142 yards.

Don't look now but his great stats have come against horrible teams, he's looking pretty ordinary or worse against decent teams.

If this is an incredible game I don't see how we're going to get an honest assessment of Romo by the fans on this board.

ghst187

Reaction score
Romo didn't play well but he wasn't that bad. The two INTs were bad throws and the two sacks which killed drives should've been throw aways. Once again TO doesn't help his QB and he drops a few critical, perfectly thrown balls.
When I saw downfield replays though, there really wasn't anywhere to go with the ball. They had us scouted and schemed well. But of course that happens when we only have about 6 plays and 7 formations in our playbook and we refuse to adjust for any team.

cnhnyy

Reaction score
I agree. Romo was incredible in the first half. I know we only got 7 points but Romo was only on field for three drives (one punt, one TD, one drive pinned at 1 yard line due to stupid playcalling). Do you guys remember the fourth-2 play in the first half. It looked like he was going to be sacked but he escaped and threw a beautiful pass to Crayton.

In the second half, our defense could not stop any eagles drive and we were losing by two possessions. He threw two fourth quarter INTs mainly because he had to make something happen quick.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
cnhnyy;1260214 said:
In the second half, our defense could not stop any eagles drive and we were losing by two possessions. He threw two fourth quarter INTs mainly because he had to make something happen quick.

Exactly right.

Who calls the plays? It isn't Romo and we only called 5 handoffs in the 2nd half of this game folks. What was Romo supposed to do then if everything is a pass play and he has no protection? It is on him to make it happen so he forced some passes where he shouldn't have, every QB does that in those situations. Let me reiterate that, EVERY QB DOES THAT IN THOSE SITUATIONS.

To me this loss, like many others this season, is on Bill Parcells and the coaching staff, particularly Zimrod. This team was not prepared, again!

Romo didn't have his best day but he was one of the few guys out there making plays.

cnhnyy

Reaction score
Tripod;1260207 said:
An incredible game? An incredible game?
Completed under 50% of his passes, threw 2 INTs (one really stupid throw when we were driving only 9 points down), 3 sacks (2 from holding the ball on key 3rd down plays) and a total of 142 yards.

Don't look now but his great stats have come against horrible teams, he's looking pretty ordinary or worse against decent teams.

If this is an incredible game I don't see how we're going to get an honest assessment of Romo by the fans on this board.

Obviously, you probabbly just woke up this morning and read ESPN stats. He was 10-15 for 110 yards 1 TD in first half. These sacks/ints came in when he had to win the game by himself in fourth quarter.

Any QB looks worse when he has no pass protection and has to score quick AND often.

Ware and Romo were the only two shown up yesterday.

Tripod

Reaction score
I watched the whole game. That's how I assess things, not by cherry picking first half stats. He passed for 32 yards in the second half along with the INTs and sacks. If we assessed players by how they played in one half we'd get a very skewed view of things.

cnhnyy

Reaction score
Tripod;1260243 said:
I watched the whole game. That's how I assess things, not by cherry picking first half stats. He passed for 32 yards in the second half along with the INTs and sacks. If we assessed players by how they played in one half we'd get a very skewed view of things.

I agree he had a terrible second half but he is the least of our problem right now.

needforspeed

Legend in my spare time
Reaction score
irvin88;1260012 said:
When Dallas was still within 16-7, Romo played more like a guy who spent 3 1/2 years on the bench than one who earned a Pro Bowl invitation for a half-season's work.

He short-circuited the next four drives with two sacks, then two interceptions. He finished 14-of-29 for a season-low 142 yards.

Just a reminder: if you quote someone, please give the source. This one came from one of the wire services, I believe. It was in today's paper, at any rate. :)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan;1260178 said:
I was at the game and Romo looked like crap -- just like the rest of the team. I'm done with 'em for this year. They aren't worthe my time, effort, money, or emotions.

What a HUGE letdown this season is....
Wow, can you say BANDWAGON?