Just how badly does Jerry want another Lombardi?

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Jerry wants another trophy, he wants it very badly and maybe more than most on this board want one…
However, he wants to win it his way and not with the help and influence of others, incase they get the credit that he craves the most.
So does he want a trophy over having more money, yes he does… but sadly he wants the credit for winning it more than anything.

1942willys

Reaction score
reading the comments I see more than a few that think money is supreme to Jerry and I am not sure of that. He is a multi billionaire but he is never getting the Bill Gates category and he has to know that. So a few more billion is not going to change anything
Doing it his way and only his way I can agree there as it certainly has looked that way for a long time. His comments after BP left say a lot. He loves the spotlight and being talked about.

I have a hunch he thinks that any coach that might threaten his spot as the Voice of the Cowboys is never going to be hired and that is a huge negative right there.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
As we watch this offseason churn, I think the answer to that question would explain all.

with the Grim Reaper in his rear view mirror steadily getting bigger and bigger, just how important is another trophy to Jerry before he kicks off?

Now maybe Jerry thinks he has got another ten years or so and its not that big a deal but it still will show what his priority truly is.

My opinion is that there are two possible answers: one he really does not desperately want another and two he does but is just out to lunch on how to do it.
Actions speak louder than words. They have had a pretty good roster over the last few years and instead of going after it and getting a piece or two that would have put them over the edge they stayed cheap. Look at the Rams, good roster and were close, what did they do? They traded for Ramsey and Stafford two pieces that helped an already good team win a super bowl. Eagles went out and traded for AJ Brown who changed their offense and got them to a super bowl plus other moves. The 49ers go out and get McCaffery and other players to help make them better. Cowboys? Can't get passed the division round and then get blown out by a young inexperienced team that just squeaked into the playoffs. What do the Cowboys do? Gain more holes from all the players they lost and now they expect to fill even more holes with rookies coming. That's not going to cut it. 10 wins is their ceiling this year. They went backwards and stayed cheap. They had the roster to go after and they did nothing. I don't care what comes out of boogers mouth about how bad he wants to win, it's BS when you look at what they did.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
With the amount of money he’ll be coughing up for his own players he clearly wants to win but you can’t pay high priced free agents and hang on to our best players. That’s the problem. If he didn’t want to win badly he would just move on from his own players that have huge contracts coming up.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
My opinion is that there are two possible answers: one he really does not desperately want another and two he does but is just out to lunch on how to do it.
No doubt in my mind he wants another trophy above anything else. None whatsoever. But his view is that Jimmy got too much credit for the 3 trophies, and he has to prove to everybody he can do it as the general manager.

Money has nothing to do with it. I mean the man bought a $250 million yacht, obviously he's got lots of money.

What he doesn't have is a SB win without Jimmy Johnson being heavily involved....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Jerry wants another trophy, he wants it very badly and maybe more than most on this board want one…
However, he wants to win it his way and not with the help and influence of others, incase they get the credit that he craves the most.
So does he want a trophy over having more money, yes he does… but sadly he wants the credit for winning it more than anything.
:hammer:

bigE79

Reaction score
When Jerry won his 3rd, Barry said, "We did it your way baby." That's all Jerry cares about. If it isn't his way then he doesn't want one.
Looking back on hindsight, winning that SB might have hurt us in the long run,it gave Jerry the idea he could build a SB winner on his own and that Switzer quote only fortified he could do it his way and succeed, in his mind that is..jmo

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
As we watch this offseason churn, I think the answer to that question would explain all.

with the Grim Reaper in his rear view mirror steadily getting bigger and bigger, just how important is another trophy to Jerry before he kicks off?

Now maybe Jerry thinks he has got another ten years or so and its not that big a deal but it still will show what his priority truly is.

he wants it badly, but he wants money worstly....that's the focus. cowboys must stay relevant in the media.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I always thought he desperately wanted to prove himself a football man with another championship, but he had to be the architect.

The last two seasons have caused me to rethink that. Maybe relevant is good enough for him.

starfan1

Reaction score
I think he wants one but he wants on his terms and no one elses and includes being a tightarse in FA and being overly loyal to those hes drafted

khiladi

Reaction score
His way only. If you told him that you could guarantee a Super Bowl but only if he and Stephen were only owners, with minimal say on personnel, I bet they would say no.
Their natural gas company that Jerry bought about 7 years back dwarfed what Jerry made even via the Cowboys, meaning it provided them even more reason not to give up their play-toy. They want to do it their way and leave their own legacy. They didn't get that with Jimmy and they knew that Switzer won with Jimmy's team. That's how the world views it.

Jipper

Reaction score
Our way was Barry being a puppet and Troy actually being the on field coach. It worked for about 3 years and each year the team got worse.
yes he was a puppet....but my point was that changing that word "our" to "your" makes it a very different (subservient) narrative which is not accurate

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Apparently, not badly enough.

Bigrandrn

Reaction score
It’s that stubborn narcissism that pisses me off…..no matter what, he MUST do it HIS way even if it always fails.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
With the amount of money he’ll be coughing up for his own players he clearly wants to win but you can’t pay high priced free agents and hang on to our best players. That’s the problem. If he didn’t want to win badly he would just move on from his own players that have huge contracts coming up.
he could always trade some of these expensive assets