Just maybe The Jones have come to the same conclusion many of us fans have

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I want to believe this theory but the Jones’ just seem too in love with the guy to let him go for nothing. I see a massive extension that probably has the no trade clause taken out.
I see neither side showing interest in making us competitive *this* year.

For that we needed to work out a contract *prior* to free agency to get Dak's 55.5mil cap hit for this year down. Didn't happen. Didn't seem like any push on either side to make it happen.

Would we be signing a QB to a big extension only to throw away the first year of his contract?

Does Dak want to play on a team that hasn't invested in players around him? That won't push dead cap forward while he plays?

Given that both sides have committed to not being players in free agency this year, it now seems a win-win to arrange a trade. Dak doesn't have to play in a contract year behind a depleted offense, and management gets some trade compensation and gets out of Dak's contract this year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They certainly won’t get better if they don’t extend him and end up with a lesser QB.
We can get better on net with a lesser QB if he costs a lot less money.

And with a cheap QB, you don't just bet savings, you can make use of his legs and get that added dimension out of him.

Dak's best QBR was his rookie season. 6 rushing TDs. He wasn't as good a passer as he is now, but still a greater QBR because we ran him.

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
No guarantees you can surround Dak with the necessary players because we don’t sign high priced free agents and we bank mostly on the draft. We got practically nothing from last years draft class.
First two picks were brutal.
I was excited about Mazi as a project NT, but we try to turn a project NT into a project 3T with a 1st round pick?
And then the TE pick when we already had Ferguson? All the noise was that we "needed to draft a starter at TE", and I just didn't get it. Ferguson showed more than enough in his rookie season for me to be happy with going with him as the starter.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dak will never bring multiple premium picks and a player or 2…never! This is fantasy land thinking.
Probably not, but you never know. Some GM on the hotseat may be willing to mortgage a future he may not be a part of to keep his job one more year. Teams are often crazy in what they'll pay for a QB.

But if they've decided that Dak just isn't the guy, I'd rather just rip off the band-aid now and get whatever picks we can for him, even if it ain't much.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We can get better on net with a lesser QB if he costs a lot less money.

And with a cheap QB, you don't just bet savings, you can make use of his legs and get that added dimension out of him.
I couldn’t disagree with you more and how do you know a cheaper QB can make plays with their legs? Justin Fields makes a ton of plays with his legs but he doesn’t make enough plays in the passing game which is why he failed in Chicago. No team is going to beat Mahomes in a SB with a lesser QB. That’s the standard you have to prepare for.

kskboys

Reaction score
Probably not, but you never know. Some GM on the hotseat may be willing to mortgage a future he may not be a part of to keep his job one more year. Teams are often crazy in what they'll pay for a QB.

But if they've decided that Dak just isn't the guy, I'd rather just rip off the band-aid now and get whatever picks we can for him, even if it ain't much.
There are several teams that would give up high draft picks for him. I just wish we'd explore this option.

Shane612

Reaction score
There isn't a good answer. Dak's has Jerry by his g'nads, and Dak is loving it. Some how the cowboys need to get really lucky in the draft or free agency.

.,.I see a massive extension that probably has the no trade clause taken out.
Is there a team that would take Dak in a trade with a "massive" extension take on his contract?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
There are several teams that would give up high draft picks for him. I just wish we'd explore this option.
Best case scenario now that it seems that they're tanking.

I wasn't really that down on Dak. I saw him improve yet again this year. Better touch on the ball. He still might get over the hump with seeing defenses, and his legs looked better this year too.

But watching them deplete the team, particularly the oline, I don't see the point in spending big on a QB for mediocre results. Move on.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
There isn't a good answer. Dak's has Jerry by his g'nads, and Dak is loving it. Some how the cowboys need to get really lucky in the draft or free agency.
I don't think Dak has Jerry. Jerry can play out the year with Dak's salary at 29mil. The rest is all sunk cost.

Dak can do much better than 29mil elsewhere in trade, and then he doesn't risk injury during a contract year.

A trade is win-win.

kskboys

Reaction score

Is there a team that would take Dak in a trade with a "massive" extension take on his contract?
Nope. To get any worthwhile resources, it would have to be a sign and trade.

kskboys

Reaction score

Does he? If Jerry is not going to pay him, might easily be the other way around.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I couldn’t disagree with you more and how do you know a cheaper QB can make plays with their legs? Justin Fields makes a ton of plays with his legs but he doesn’t make enough plays in the passing game which is why he failed in Chicago. No team is going to beat Mahomes in a SB with a lesser QB. That’s the standard you have to prepare for.
The point is that you can *afford* to run a cheaper QB. You don't have 100mil in dead cap preventing you.

Hence you can get extra out of a cheap QB that you can't get when you pay him free agent money.

Jimbo69

Reaction score
The fans who say Dak sucks and is on par with Alex Smith don’t know what they’ve talking about. No offense guy, but I only skimmed your post the other day and never saw Mahomes name, which is why I didn’t know who you were taking about when you said Smith. As for my age I’ve been following the Cowboys since the 72 season. If you try making this discussion personal I’ll be finished with you.
You didn't know who Alex Smith was. It's here in print. Stop it. Smith was a good QB. Others here pointed out his record. Your opinion on him is just that, an opinion. I couldn't care less if you are finished with me. Is that is some kind of threat ? LOL. Go ahead make my day.
You embrace failure and.mediocracy.

kskboys

Reaction score
Doesn't Jerry own him millions whether he extend or not?
Depends on how you look at it. In real money, Jerry won't owe him anything after this season. However, you'll have hits from his contract in both 25 and 26. This is money that has already been paid that has been pushed down the road. It's just dead cap money. It's 40 mil in 25 and 12 mil in 26 according to spottrac. I think!!!!

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The Jones have come to the same conclusion many of us fans have. Our situation is this, 1. Our QB isn't good enough to take that big of a cut of the cap space and we win a super bowl. 2. You can't field the kind of team around him to win it for the same reason. So what do you do? Resign him and continue to be mediocre, or roll the dice let him walk next year and start a soft rebuild this year? With the way they have approached Free agency so far the writing is on the wall.
Come to the same conclusion? The Jones clan is responsible for making the organization a laughingstock. It doesn’t matter who the QB is. Nor the coach. It’s all Jerry and Stephen. Narcissistic hubris riddled clowns.

kskboys

Reaction score
First two picks were brutal.
I was excited about Mazi as a project NT, but we try to turn a project NT into a project 3T with a 1st round pick?
And then the TE pick when we already had Ferguson? All the noise was that we "needed to draft a starter at TE", and I just didn't get it. Ferguson showed more than enough in his rookie season for me to be happy with going with him as the starter.
Unfortunately, I wasn't. Mazi is a good athlete, but appears to lack lateral agility, the big career killer in the NFL. Straightline athletes will always be limited players. Jeff Heath, for example. May lack instincts, also.

kskboys

Reaction score
KC saw no hope in Smith which is why they traded up in the top 10 for Mahomes. Although KC won some games with Smith he wasn’t very productive and didn’t throw many TDs. He never passed for more than 3500 yards and 23 TDs in KC. Dak is a much better QB than Smith who was holding KC back. KC knew they could do better than him. The Cowboys are being held back mostly by their defense that never shows up in the playoffs.
2017: Alex Smith: 4042 yds/26 TDs. How do you keep getting this so wrong? Oh, and he threw for 3502 in 2016.

Although they are a different type of QB, they are the same guy. I do agree that KC realized they needed to do better. Hmmmmmm......